What's new

Scored an SA-35!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ad Astra, great thread here, thanks for the info on the mags. This is literally my number 1 source for the sa35, well done 👍

Just one gun's journey, thanks!

You may get better looking walnut grips than me, and save $100 on aftermarket grips!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thought this ad was pretty funny ...

"Welp. You can't find an SA-35, so you might as well buy a Girsan!"

dfdf.jpg

Not that they're bad, I'm sure.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I need your advice @Ad Astra.

Thinking long and hard about picking this up.

IMG_1180.jpeg

I liked everything about it except?

The safety seems a bit small and it had a very short, light travel to put on safe or take of safe?

There wasn’t really a positive ‘click’ to go into safe or come off of safe? Very easy to move either way with hardly no pressure at all?

Will this come off of safe on it’s own when carried? I mean, it was way too easy to me? The safety just doesn’t lock very securely in either position?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I need your advice @Ad Astra.

Thinking long and hard about picking this up.

View attachment 1645851

I liked everything about it except?

The safety seems a bit small and it had a very short, light travel to put on safe or take of safe?

There wasn’t really a positive ‘click’ to go into safe or come off of safe? Very easy to move either way with hardly no pressure at all?

Will this come off of safe on it’s own when carried? I mean, it was way too easy to me? The safety just doesn’t lock very securely in either position?
🤔 Your hands will tell you instantly if it's a yes or a no.

🤔 You are a Glock guy, so. They are not nearly as natural feeling as SA 35... You might adapt to it quick. The safety is very positive on the off. Individual guns likely differ.

Hm, do you remember the serial range? Above 16K?

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
🤔 Your hands will tell you instantly if it's a yes or a no.

🤔 You are a Glock guy, so. They are not nearly as natural feeling as SA 35... You might adapt to it quick. The safety is very positive on the off. Individual guns likely differ.

Hm, do you remember the serial range? Above 16K?

AA

I didn't even think to look at the serial number. They only had one, but the dark finish and slide to frame fit was excellent, the dark walnut looking grip panels had these small looking, black Zebra pattern looking lines thru them which I thought, "I would never replace them with other panels. They looked that good to me.

Don't get me wrong, that SA-35 felt great in my hand! I loved everything about, except for the smaller thumb safety and how easy it was to move to safe or out of safe with hardly no pressure or even a positive click in the up or down position. Considering it doesn't have a back strap safety like a 1911, the ease of safety movement concerns me when carrying?

I was checking out some of the smaller Kimber Micro 1911's with no back strap safety, but their little thumb safeties take some doing to move in and out of safe. I like that for a carry cocked & locked. One that moves easy and no back strap safety should be at least thought about?

The MSRP on it was $799, the LGS was $769.98, but they are having a Spring sale that ends April 30th and the price right now is $749.99. I'm telling ya, I would be posting pics of it right now in the acquisition thread if that safety wasn't concerning me. I'm still game, but I wanted to talk to you and @Whisky first, to see what ya'll thought?

I didn't even think to look at the serial number. They only had one, but the dark finish and slide to frame fit was excellent, the dark walnut looking grip panels had these small looking, black Zebra pattern looking lines thru them which I thought, "I would never replace them with other panels. They looked that good to me.

Don't get me wrong, that SA-35 felt great in my hand! I loved everything about, except for the smaller thumb safety and how easy it was to move to safe or out of safe with hardly no pressure or even a positive click in the up or down position. Considering it doesn't have a back strap safety like a 1911, the ease of safety movement concerns me when carrying?

I was checking out some of the smaller Kimber Micro 1911's with no back strap safety, but their little thumb safeties take some doing to move in and out of safe. I like that for a carry cocked & locked. One that moves easy and no back strap safety should be at least thought about?

The MSRP on it was $799, the LGS was $769.98, but they are having a Spring sale that ends April 30th and the price right now is $749.99. I'm telling ya, I would be posting pics of it right now in the acquisition thread if that safety wasn't concerning me. I'm still game, but I wanted to talk to you and @Whisky first, to see what ya'll thought?
Thumb safety detent is an easy fix. Most commonly, it's a weak spring fron the factory. Slightly more complex is chucking a section of drill rod in your hand drill, using a needle file to make it kinda pointy, then cutting to length with a Dremel cut off wheel, to make your own detent pin.

Or, C&S sells their re-fit safety for $52.😎

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@OkieStubble , perhaps an aftermarket safety might be more positive, or perhaps some judicious fiddling with the detent?

In any event, you need that gun!
This, x2! 🤣 but it won't be there when you go back...

🤔 It's a legitimate question. @OkieStubble I feel comfortable carrying it, but don't have decades of daily carry LEO experience. Months later and a K of rounds through it and I like it more every time I pick it up. It's my go-to range toy... The revolvers are getting jealous.

🤔 Yet if I had to go to NOLA or some other seriously dangerous place, would I carry it? Probably not. It's a smallish service pistol, not an urban concealed carry, IMO. With the right holster and clothes it could be, but not for me. It's just easier to stick with the Kahr PM9 for that.

Perhaps that's why the original safety was smaller on P35 than on SA-35. An even larger aftermarket one might switch off by accident even easier. Soldiers, target shooters (me) and police or SD people all have different requirements. This safety might be the sweet spot.

The ergos are perfect for me. Its light recoil makes for very fast follow-up shots. It's accurate and suits me well. It's aesthetics are a plus - this is just a gorgeous design.

🤔 Now. If I can find one with a tangent sight and shoulder stock - naturally, with the magazine safety disconnected, a trigger job, and an SA-35 safety installed... and tritium sights.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Another hundred through the SA-35. Used the Sarco 21-rounders exclusively and with no malfs. I'll call them reliable now...

IMG_20230519_102606.jpg

I need to not drink espresso before a range trip. However. Maybe that's real-world scenario...

IMG_20230519_100959.jpg

IMG_20230519_103203.jpg

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Those targets look like they have powder burns on them. :c1:
🤔 No, that was my foot at Stalingrad. Got me a seat on the JU-52, though.

Top one was like that "Shoot out the Star" game at the carnival. Saw a red bit fall. Seriously, you can see there's no cardboard left in back, so the holes look ragged.

AA

Last edited:
Been following this thread off and on since it was started. I have been wanting a BHP since I was 16, just never seemed to have the funds when one was available locally. Was looking to get one and was agitated when Browning decided to quit making them. I refused to pay the prices that everyone was asking for their "collectors" item. When I saw the SA-35 I tried to get one but the supply chain issues made that very challenging. I was thinking about going to gunbroker.com or guns.com to get one when one of the local leo's purchased one. I work for the same city in the Public Works Dept and while attending another employee's retirement party I spoke with this officer. He said he was going to sell the one he just purchased and I could have it if I wanted, he had put 100 rounds through it and for whatever reason he did not like the pistol. I was at his house that evening with cash in hand. I have put almost 500 rounds through this pistol and thank my lucky stars everytime I go to the range and shoot this awesome pistol. I just don't understand why Browning would stop manufacturing such a piece of art.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Been following this thread off and on since it was started. I have been wanting a BHP since I was 16, just never seemed to have the funds when one was available locally. Was looking to get one and was agitated when Browning decided to quit making them. I refused to pay the prices that everyone was asking for their "collectors" item. When I saw the SA-35 I tried to get one but the supply chain issues made that very challenging. I was thinking about going to gunbroker.com or guns.com to get one when one of the local leo's purchased one. I work for the same city in the Public Works Dept and while attending another employee's retirement party I spoke with this officer. He said he was going to sell the one he just purchased and I could have it if I wanted, he had put 100 rounds through it and for whatever reason he did not like the pistol. I was at his house that evening with cash in hand. I have put almost 500 rounds through this pistol and thank my lucky stars everytime I go to the range and shoot this awesome pistol. I just don't understand why Browning would stop manufacturing such a piece of art.
Remember, Browning never made them. But Browning did make this and I like it even more that the P-35.

BDM-01.gif

I put my name on the list at my local gun shop and 1 month later picked it up this last week. I’m really happy with it it feels great. Can’t wait to get out to the range and see how it does. I’m a little concerned the stock sights aren’t adjustable for elevation.
Anyway for those keeping track it was 750 and 23k serial. 🤗👍

Top Bottom