What's new

HK P2000SK

This gun gets very little buzz and seems to be squarely under the radar. It’s a unique size - bigger than a Glock 26, but smaller than a Glock 19. It’s a little heavy for its size, but the quality is top notch and with the LEM trigger, is an awfully safe semi auto to carry.

I admit - I never paid much attention to them, and for no good reason. I like HK’s, but the P2000SK just never blipped on my radar until someone mentioned it was their primary CCW gun. The more I look into it, the more I want one as it appears to be a Goldilocks gun. I realize that it’s nearly 2X the price of a Glock, but so are many other guns that get lots of attention/discussion.

Why don’t you all think this one gets the love and admiration it deserves?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This gun gets very little buzz and seems to be squarely under the radar. It’s a unique size - bigger than a Glock 26, but smaller than a Glock 19. It’s a little heavy for its size, but the quality is top notch and with the LEM trigger, is an awfully safe semi auto to carry.

I admit - I never paid much attention to them, and for no good reason. I like HK’s, but the P2000SK just never blipped on my radar until someone mentioned it was their primary CCW gun. The more I look into it, the more I want one as it appears to be a Goldilocks gun. I realize that it’s nearly 2X the price of a Glock, but so are many other guns that get lots of attention/discussion.

Why don’t you all think this one gets the love and admiration it deserves?

My oldest son has the HK 2000 in .40. He absolutely loves that pistol. while the SK version is the smaller sub compact version, the American version of the P2000sk accepts a 12 round magazine. 12 rounds of big & fast .40 in a sub compact is awesome sauce. HK was doing it long before many of the other brands started doing it. If it doesn't get any love now, I just think there is a greater desire more from defensive carriers wanting striker fired sub compacts. Not necessarily because a stryker fired is better then a hammer fired but all things being equal, stryker fired sub compacts can just be designed, much lighter and thinner then hammer fired of the same genre.

While the 2000sk is smaller than many other HK's, its still, a fatter, heavier pistol then many stryker fired compacts by far.

Just my personal opinion. Throwing in at least one disclaimer, is just good business anymore. :)

HK P2000sk has been my daily carry for 10 years.
I don't find it too big or heavy at all. Don't even know it's there.

I think the main reason people bypass it is because of cost.

If you find the standard 10rd mag a wee bit tight for a three finger grip you can shave off and buff out the pinky thing on the end.
It will also take a little bigger 10rd mag. that you can leave the pinky thing on.

I've got both and prefer the buffed out version.
P1020679.JPG
P1020681.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG

As Hopalong said- cost. Poly frames in general are painfully overpriced (like zamak razors), but HK took it to a whole 'nutha level when they sent out the P2000sk. I had one of the early USPs, sold it, then never went back when comparison shopping with Glock. Pricey, relatively complex mechanism, parts are/were hellish to source and afford.

I'm no "gun nut" but I have plenty of guns and have been shooting for 60 years.
Also had 4 surgeries on my hands including both thumb joints replaced.

This little pistol shoots easy, like a full size for me.
Maybe its the little extra heft, 5 ounces more than a G43X. Shorter and not as tall as the Glock and a 10th of an inch thicker.
Maybe it's the dual recoil spring. Maybe it's in my head.
Maybe I wanna be a HK snob with no street cred.

OkieStubble

I'm no "gun nut" but I have plenty of guns and have been shooting for 60 years.
Also had 4 surgeries on my hands including both thumb joints replaced.

This little pistol shoots easy, like a full size for me.
Maybe its the little extra heft, 5 ounces more than a G43X. Shorter and not as tall as the Glock and a 10th of an inch thicker.
Maybe it's the dual recoil spring. Maybe it's in my head.
Maybe I wanna be a HK snob with no street cred.

Don’t have to be a snob to love HK’s, they are great pistols. Just out of curiosity, what is your height and weight that makes your 2000sk no different then any other modern smaller 9mm to carry?

Are you a big strapping’ kinda guy, average height and weight or smaller type of dude?

Don’t have to be a snob to love HK’s, they are great pistols. Just out of curiosity, what is your height and weight that makes your 2000sk no different then any other modern smaller 9mm to carry?

Are you a big strapping’ kinda guy, average height and weight or smaller type of dude?
I didn’t say it was any different, you did. I believe your exact words were the 2000sk was fat and heavy “by far.” I pointed out that it was 5oz. heavier and .1” fatter than your G43X, along with being a bit shorter and not as tall. Conceals easily on my average height and weight; 5’11” 165lbs.

OkieStubble

I didn’t say it was any different, you did. I believe your exact words were the 2000sk was fat and heavy “by far.” I pointed out that it was 5oz. heavier and .1” fatter than your G43X, along with being a bit shorter and not as tall. Conceals easily on my average height and weight; 5’11” 165lbs.
Fair enough my friend.

You sure have a very large thumb and hand for 5’11” 165? Just sayin…. :)

D7733C15-D86E-4ECA-B451-20E618DCBF51.jpeg

Fair enough my friend.

You sure have a very large thumb and hand for 5’11” 165? Just sayin…. :)

View attachment 1624840
I was a farrier for 45 years and now I work in my blacksmith and metal fab shop on the ranch. Literally worked my hands to the bone. My hands were always calloused, swollen, bleeding with 4 major hand surgeries. Both thumb joints replaced. Good as new, I enjoyed every minute.

At almost 71, I describe myself as in better shape than two 35 year olds and twice as ornery.

OkieStubble

I was a farrier for 45 years and now I work in my blacksmith and metal fab shop on the ranch. Literally worked my hands to the bone. My hands were always calloused, swollen, bleeding with 4 major hand surgeries. Both thumb joints replaced. Good as new, I enjoyed every minute.

At almost 71, I describe myself as in better shape than two 35 year olds and twice as ornery.

Glad to hear you come out of the surgeries on the backside good as new. I probably need a bit of work on my lower discs in my back but I’m skeered from hearing the horror stories that one is never the same again after a back surgery.

OkieStubble

FYI, anyone wanting to compare pistols with exact schematics and trace overs
Go to handgunhero.com

I actually was googling the HK P2000sk comparisons earlier. Saw handgun heroes stats, but they only listed length and height, not width or girth. Also came across the HK Pro forum from seeing on google the pic you posted here and there. Got to read your posts there from 2021 also.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

You sound just like my Dad in the hand department. Same kinda treatment to his hands as well. He could crush a single walnut in his hand. One hand. He was 6'2" and about 145- 150 in his fighting days. Tough hombre! And he never liked guns much.

I'm thinking that HK's weight would be not noticed after wearing it a few days. I like (love?) revolvers because I am too ADHD to be trusted with a safety, and like the Ruger GP100 in stainless. Mine is 33+ ounces unloaded I think? With the right holster you forget it's a boat anchor!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Glad to hear you come out of the surgeries on the backside good as new. I probably need a bit of work on my lower discs in my back but I’m skeered from hearing the horror stories that one is never the same again after a back surgery.
All I'll say is put it off as long as you can, and then go to a place that specializes in backs. Be willing to travel. You got 2 kidneys, eyes, etc....but you got ONE back for a surgeon to screw up.

I actually was googling the HK P2000sk comparisons earlier. Saw handgun heroes stats, but they only listed length and height, not width or girth. Also came across the HK Pro forum from seeing on google the pic you posted here and there. Got to read your posts there from 2021 also.
The width and girth are in there, scroll down.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have been looking at CCW guns for months now lol. According to the H&K site, the P2000sk’s overall width/widest point, which is the slide I believe, is 1.28”. According to the Glock site the G43 at its widest is 1.1, which is its grip. The slide is 0.87”. So depending on how you look at it the difference is a little more than an 1/8” at best, a little less than a 1/2” at worst.

I was looking at the P30sk but that is 1.37 at its widest. Seems a bit much to stick down the pants.

OkieStubble

I have been looking at CCW guns for months now lol. According to the H&K site, the P2000sk’s overall width/widest point, which is the slide I believe, is 1.28”. According to the Glock site the G43 at its widest is 1.1, which is its grip. The slide is 0.87”. So depending on how you look at it the difference is a little more than an 1/8” at best, a little less than a 1/2” at worst.

I was looking at the P30sk but that is 1.37 at its widest. Seems a bit much to stick down the pants.

When it comes to stuffing a pistol down into the front of your pants, an 1/8 of an inch doesn’t seem to be much difference when reading it in a pistol advertisement, but in reality it’s a huge difference.

While a G43X is 0.87 in slide width, the G19 is only a bit more at 1.0 inch. But stick them both in the front of your pants? That G19 feels like a 2x4 compared to the popsicle stick of the G43X. :)

When it comes to stuffing a pistol down into the front of your pants, an 1/8 of an inch doesn’t seem to be much difference when reading it in a pistol advertisement, but in reality it’s a huge difference.

While a G43X is 0.87 in slide width, the G19 is only a bit more at 1.0 inch. But stick them both in the front of your pants? That G19 feels like a 2x4 compared to the popsicle stick of the G43X. :)

Now if we’re talking about the amount of wood we’re packing down our pants, I’ve got a Sequoia. :ciappa:

All kidding aside, I see a lot of folks who can’t shoot small/thin guns worth a damn. I’ve got large hands, and it took me a VERY long time to become proficient with a sub 1” thick gun.

Top Bottom