What's new

have you used all your razors??

I have around 50 razors now and last night I was thinking that I had only used about 5 of them. I started out with SS. At work I used a ball tech. Picked up a diplomat and put down the SS. Switched the ball tech to a red tip, and then added a FB to my home rotation.

I got a bunch of others- 40's SS, blue tip, lady gillette, heavy Tech, some 1912 gems, a Valet, Shick korona and so on that I have never tried. So what about you?? Do all of your Rad razors get an = shot at your face??

The only razors I bought and never used are my NOS Ball end Tech and a Feather Popular. I gave away the tech and the Feather is still sitting in it's plastic case with original blade. I have no idea why I bought that thing. :tongue:

Most of my vintage Gillettes are just for collecting. I have used maybe 6 of the 60 that I own. I will get around to using them some day.

DL

I have not used all my razors - and there are a couple - minty gold plated ones that I am reluctant to use because I don't want to disturb the plating (the laquer, etc)....

I don't know if I will use em - but I sure would like to try that Diplomat! (and the '47 Aristocrat)....

Today, I have 11 on hand. I have used all but 3.

The three I haven't used are:

Gillette WWII Military Tech - It is NIB and I haven't decided whether or not to keep it that way.

GEM Micromatic - Seller included it as a bonus with a purchase. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Gillette English Aluminum Handle Tech (no date code) - Same seller included this one too. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Current stable:
1946-1947 Aristocrat
1955 Red Tip SS
1948-1950 SS
1954 SS (Z-1)
1971 SS
Merkur 38C
Merkur 34C
Merkur 42C

The following were ordered, but haven't arrived yet:
Canadian Fat Handle Tech
German Parat
English Aluminum Handle Tech
English Aristocrat Junior
1958 TV SS

:18:
Of course I have, that's why I bought them. Although I only have 12 razors, but the whole point of buying a razor for me is to buy a razor that I would like to try shave with, even if it's just once because I end up not liking it.
People buying razors then hoarding them up and never ever using them just seem crazy to me.
I'd understand if someone had a shave quality razor they really liked and wanted to buy a cased mint condition, a NIB, or NOS one of the exact same type to keep. But at least they can say they have shaved with that type of razor.

But it's the collectors who have never tried that type at all and couldn't care less, they just want to have it as part of the "collection", those people aren't quite right in the head.
A razor is not an investment, they won't continue to appreciate, I think we are at peak levels now. Most normal people will not be impressed with a razor collection, they will think you are weird.
So collecting them and not shaving with them means 1. you're weird, 2. you are wasting your money.
Buy what you want to shave with, buy a few mint examples of what you like to shave with the most as keepsakes. Do not try to buy every razor ever manufactured, try find happiness elsewhere in life. Why would you want a collection of razors to pass down as keepsakes when they were razors you never tried or you didn't like? Stop it, those razors will just end up in BST, ebay or an estate sale.

I'm not directing this to any particular member here, some compulsively buy and collect, but they have quite often been willing to offload a razor to another member. :blush:

Last edited:
:18:

People buying razors then hoarding them up and never ever using them just seem crazy to me.

But it's the collectors who have never tried that type at all and couldn't care less, they just want to have it as part of the "collection", those people aren't quite right in the head.
:

I've been called worse. And yes I admit, I am not "quite right in the head".

DL

That's a bit out of context.
I did say "I'd understand if someone had a shave quality razor they really liked and wanted to buy a cased mint condition of the same type to keep" which you have edited out.

Meaning I understand why someone would buy a NOS or NIB razor and not open it, because they already have used that type of razor.
However I don't understand why someone would buy a razor they have never used or intend to use, (edit:) and have no idea what they have or what the razor is like because they have never used a "shave ready" version of that razor.

Last edited:
Of all the current ones i have, i used them all. I have 4 left now that i use in regular rotation. I sold close to 30 just recently and there were one or two in there that i had not used.

That's a bit out of context.
I did say "I'd understand if someone had a shave quality razor they really liked and wanted to buy a cased mint condition, a NIB, or NOS one of the exact same type to keep. But at least they can say they have shaved with that type of razor."
Meaning I understand why someone would buy a NOS or NIB razor and not open it, because they already have used that type of razor.
However I don't understand why someone would buy a NOS or NIB razor and not open it, and have no idea what they have or what the razor is like.

I wish I owned NOS razors. My pocket book can't handle it.

And don't worry, Pablo, you did not offend me. All is well.

Collecting, hoarding, whatever, razors are my hobby. I like to buy them, clean them, look at them, hold them, and maybe use them. I enjoy treasure hunting for them in antique stores. And if I find a $5 Fatboy, I will buy it even tho I already own 4 of them.Unlike my guns and my tobacco, no one wants to tax me, regulate me, or tell me which I should or shouldn't buy.

DL

I think you are a bit harsh on the amateur collector. I have not used all my razors (yet). But I seriously intend to. I have about 40 to 50 razors right now.:001_smile

And isn't it a bit naive to think that they will not appreciate in value? This is not the reason I collect, but if the law of supply and demand hold true and the number of wetshavers starts to grow, then...?

Maybe I can wait a few years and buy that $20 Toggle I've wanted.:wink:

I have used each of the four razors that I own ('79 Black Handled SS, 1954 40's Style SS, Merkur HD, and Merkur Futur). I don't use the Black Handled SS much anymore because I don't like it that much, but my wife does so she uses it. I primarily use the Futur and the HD, but I'll occasionaly use the '54 SS (like this morning) just because. The '54 was my grandfathers and is showing some signs of age so I'm trying to preserve it. Otherwise, I'm happy with my collection and I'm not looking to add anything to it any time soon.

out of 32.....2-3 in rotation.......1 favorite(slim)......more on the way........want to use all of mine by the end of the year.......:wink:
Maybe I can wait a few years and buy that $20 Toggle I've wanted.:wink:
not if I get to it first...:biggrin:

Well I am a collector and user. However I haven't used them all. Reasons are below:

Collection pieces only:

'1904 Single Ring, cased, great condition
'33-35 boxed Goodwill
NOS WWII Bakelite Tech
NOS 40's Tech
NOS Argentine Tech
Gorgeous '66 cased Aristocrat with instructions.

Haven't gotten around to:
'58 TV SS
'53 HD Rocket
'53 Aristocrat Jr.
'62 Slim Adjustable (case/instructions)

The remainder of my 40+ collection has been used at least once.

Cheers.

Well I am a collector and user. However I haven't used them all. Reasons are below:

Haven't gotten around to:
'58 TV SS
'53 HD Rocket
'53 Aristocrat Jr.
'62 Slim Adjustable (case/instructions)

The remainder of my 40+ collection has been used at least once.

Cheers.

Hey Jeff -

how did you attribute dates to the Rocket & the Aristo Jr.?

If it isn't shave ready or I can't make it shave ready, then it is of no use to me. That said, I was given a Sta-Sharp that is so beautiful I don't know when I'll shave with it - but that's what it's for, so one very special day...

I've got 2 DE's and 22 (or so) straights. 5 of the straights are in regular rotation and the rest are waiting for my honing/restoration skills to improve. My DE's are specifically for recruiting new wet shavers and because they are cool vintage razors.

When I was trying to get a fatboy, I came across a listing for a bunch of shaving gear. It included a fatboy, a black handled schick, a boar brush, a shaving mug, a couple soaps and a shaving mirror. I paid $25 for the lot, but I only wanted the fatboy. I think the rest of it is in a box somewhere in the garage.

A razor is not an investment, they won't continue to appreciate, I think we are at peak levels now. Most normal people will not be impressed with a razor collection, they will think you are weird.
So collecting them and not shaving with them means 1. you're weird, 2. you are wasting your money.
Buy what you want to shave with, buy a few mint examples of what you like to shave with the most as keepsakes. Do not try to buy every razor ever manufactured, try find happiness elsewhere in life. Why would you want a collection of razors to pass down as keepsakes when they were razors you never tried or you didn't like? Stop it, those razors will just end up in BST, ebay or an estate sale.

People buy all sorts of items that they have no intention of using for purposes of collecting. You shouldn't be so concerned about what other folks do with their own money. :biggrin:

Top Bottom