What's new

Gun storage

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was wondering what opinions were on gun storage. I was raised around firearms, so was Dad, and so was Granddad and all of my uncles...and everyone else in the family.

Granddad kept his shotguns, .22 rifles, etc. stacked in the corner of the bedroom unloaded but had a loaded revolver in a file cabinet. Dad had his shotguns, deer rifles, etc. in the corner of a bedroom closet out of sight and unloaded but had a loaded pistol in a file cabinet. I was taught from an early age what kind of damage a firearm could do.

I used to store mine on a peg board with curtains over them out of casual sight, and defensive handguns in a nightstand drawer. I trained my sons very early on what damage a firearm could do. I now have a good safe that holds everything, and my immediate use firearms are in a nightstand drawer or in a place in the kitchen for when I need one NOW!

And yes...I've had the occasion to need one in a few seconds time (police work not counting), whether it's coyotes, other varmints, or someone trying to prey on my stuff.

I was just wondering what you guys do.

This is a very good website...for anyone. Although my Dad, Granddad, uncles, etc. didn't walk around the house with one on their hip. You'd just get your butt whipped if you were caught playing with one without supervision.

Safe Storage Around Children | Cornered Cat

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have always done it exactly as the article you linked described. I raised 4 girls and two boys. I taught them all, hands on experience, about the fun of firearms, the importance of firearm safety; and the huge responsibility of not only possessing and owning firearms, but also of the importance of passing along to others, what they have learned if it ever became necessary; and all of what they learned eventually, to their own children. All 6 of my grown children own firearms, and all 6 have CCW permits, including the 4 oldest's spouses.

My oldest Grandson and I, (who is 9) have just recently this past weekend, began his new, fledgling foundation into firearms, knocking over empty cardboard toilet paper rolls and aluminum Dr. Pepper cans inside the RV shed with his Daisy model 10 BB rifle.

His initial instincts and natural skill are very encouraging from what I saw for his first time. :)

I have a large safe that I keep my guns and some valuables locked in. I’m an empty nester so my loaded defense gun is in my nightstand or on me, usually on me when not sleeping.

My best plan has always been to educate my children and to normalize firearms around them. I am confident that they would be safe, if they inadvertently picked up a loaded firearm that they thought was unloaded.

I keep a lock box in my vehicle just in case. Even so, I try extremely hard not to use it. Locking a gun up in a vehicle really goes against my better judgment. There are no NRA or GCO stickers on my vehicle.

I have stopped wearing tees and hats that announce my affinity for firearms. Safety includes not drawing attention. Therefore, I carry concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4D600E1C-1F37-4160-8D89-07570A221E03.jpeg
Unless the grandkids are visiting, there are a number of holstered, loaded handguns lying about (nightstands, fireplace mantle next to the front door, shotgun in a corner of tne master bedroom..etc.)
Other than that (and when the kids are around), they reside in a safe.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I really need to buy one or more large gun safes but there is no where to put them. No kids, no grand kids, no child visitors. My only concerns are theft or fire loss. So my guns are spread through out the house. Some loaded at the ready, in strategic locations.

No children.

No grandchildren

No nieces or nephews

Retired RCMP stainless revolvers in EVERY room. There are a little more than half dozen of them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My nephews are current and former Marines, niece is college age and a bit gun shy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Safes and only safes ... have a buddy that's too cheap, and I have counseled him more than once to at least disassemble and hide parts.

AA

View attachment 905317 Unless the grandkids are visiting, there are a number of holstered, loaded handguns lying about (nightstands, fireplace mantle next to the front door, shotgun in a corner of tne master bedroom..etc.)

That’s about the size of my safe. I also keep my primary handgun in a table next to the bed at night. It’s under my arm during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kids.

I have a loaded gun here and there out of sight. Not one of them is irreplaceable. I keep the good stuff in "safes", which really are Residential Security Containers according to UL. They won't stop a determined theif, but will likely stop being one looking for a quick in and out. For the determined theif, I have a good firearms policy.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 905317 Unless the grandkids are visiting, there are a number of holstered, loaded handguns lying about (nightstands, fireplace mantle next to the front door, shotgun in a corner of tne master bedroom..etc.)

Now that's a safe!

I really need to buy one or more large gun safes but there is no where to put them. No kids, no grand kids, no child visitors. My only concerns are theft or fire loss. So my guns are spread through out the house. Some loaded at the ready, in strategic locations.

I have a small Homak steel gun cabinet that'll hold a few long guns and a couple of pistols. Bought it about 20 years ago from Walmart for about $80. Just purchased one of the smaller Cannon safes a few years back which has a 45 minute fire safety rating. I got it on sale at a tractor supply store for about $600.

I also pay about $9 a month to insure all my firearms, optics and expensive accessories. from theft or damage. This insurance is separate from my regular house insurance from fire or theft. I was actually surprised they wouldn't insure my ammo stash. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I picked up a little 12 gun Liberty Centurion a few years ago for about $400-$450 when Atwood's had them on sale. I can stuff about 20 guns or more in it but quite a few are handguns. Now I don't worry as much when I'm gone for an extended period of time.

That thing probably has $30,000-$40,000, or more, worth of firearms stored in it. I think it was a good investment.

Centurion Gun Safe by Liberty | Fire Rated Safes

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've wanted a nice safe since .. but my long guns are all resident in silicone gunsocks, in a closet. There's a 1920's .22 that was my first rifle in there, the silicone sheaths seem to me to work ..

No kids about. The hand guns are in the nightstand or car, one hangs on a doorknob. Those I consider tools

I'm in a small 1 bedroom apt, and I have a medium sized safe, 3foot by 7 foot tall just moved the dresser to the wall and slid it right there in the bedroom. if you have a garage put it out there and bolt it down. there really is not an excuse to not lock up your firearms.

I picked up a little 12 gun Liberty Centurion a few years ago for about $400-$450 when Atwood's had them on sale. I can stuff about 20 guns or more in it but quite a few are handguns. Now I don't worry as much when I'm gone for an extended period of time.

That thing probably has $30,000-$40,000, or more, worth of firearms stored in it. I think it was a good investment.

Centurion Gun Safe by Liberty | Fire Rated Safes
thats probably the same one i have

Top Bottom