What's new

Can’t seem to set my sights on a first .22LR Scope - thoughts?

That Leupold only has a 33mm objective. Low rings will work. You generally want your objective as close to the barrel as possible.

Mounting the bases and rings is easy. They usually come with the Torx or Allen wrench you need. You probably want to put Loctite or fingernail polish on the base screws. Loctite/fingernail polish on the ring clamp screws is often debated. It won't hurt, but usually isn't needed because there is tension in them.

Leveling the crosshairs is easy enough. You can eyeball it until you are happy or use tools. I use a small bubble level and plumb bob. I put the level on the top of the rifles receiver and level it. I hang a plumb bob off in the distance and turn the scope until the vertical crosshair is parallel with the plumb line. If I mount a scope at the range, I use a target frame to level the scope. I know the legs on the frame are plumb and the cross braces are level, because I built them...lol

Thats it then! Thank you for making me feel like I can do this! I just needed a little nudge. I think it will feel great to set it up myself and will also help build confidence around managing the equipment in future as well. It has really been a learning experience and so far so good. I am looking forward to feeling positive about grabbing this rifle when I need it instead of my dread of peering past the iron sights.

Awesome! I’m ready to rumble!

Well I got it moving, but when it can go wrong…

It seems Leupold has 2-7x33 in the VX Freedom line in both paralax settings. And it seems I needed to have specifically requested ’rimfire’ which I did not. So I am having shipped out the VX Freedom 2-7x33 with huntplex reticle. It sounded good, but it turns out it has paralax free distance setting at 150 yards. It is a centerfire scope. They have the same with 60yd setting in a rimfire model - but I thought the 2-7x33 was the rimfire scope so thats what I ordered. So it will be one-two weeks coming. Then I pay to send it back, then try and find the correct one. Sigh

I forgot to mention in an earlier post, I have a couple of Marlin Mounties that have old Weaver K 2.5 and K 3 scopes mounted in quick detachable rings. Parallex is set for longer distance, but even down to 20-25 yards I see no problem. One is post and crosshair the other is German #3 (3 posts). My two bolt action 22's have the 3-9 Leupold EFR scopes.

It happens. I have learned many things through similar experiences.

Yes, the joys of a turbulent education. Sometimes it seems liked I have learned ‘most’ lessons this way, but perhaps that is just a hint of self pity weeping through!

Still a bunch of firsts though - first new scope - first returned scope -first online gun item purchase - first out of province gun item purchase - first buggered up gun item purchase. There are a lot of lessons learned already! 😀.

Eventually the squirrels around here are gonna pack their bags. 🥷🏻

I forgot to mention in an earlier post, I have a couple of Marlin Mounties that have old Weaver K 2.5 and K 3 scopes mounted in quick detachable rings. Parallex is set for longer distance, but even down to 20-25 yards I see no problem. One is post and crosshair the other is German #3 (3 posts). My two bolt action 22's have the 3-9 Leupold EFR scopes.

The EFR scopes look interesting, I was not aware of those. I like the idea of being able to focus in close as well. For me it isnt unreasonable to have something 10 yards or so. 20-25 yds with your other scopes being effective is still a ways out. I need that range for sure, ane beyond, but I still need to be able to see whats ahead 15-20’ if the need comes up. Maybe I cant have it all??

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Some scopes for air rifles will focus down to 10 yds. But that is for shooting tight groups at 10 meter targets, or field target competition. I doubt that you would really need that for a general purpose .22 LR, and unless you were shooting for tight groups at close range, you probably wouldn't see any practical difference. Popping tin cans or vermin at 10 yds should be doable even with a 50 yard parallax adjustment. Just be aware that at really close range you will be shooting low due to the difference between the bore and the scope height, regardless of parallax adjustment.

I agree nortac. I have several of the "air rifle" scopes and honestly they require a lot of fiddling around. I was just sitting in the living room and got a few scopes to compare. One was a very old, restored Weaver J 2.5, 3/4" tube. Look at a rather new flat screen TV about 20 feet away it is crystal clear, as it is looking out the windo at my shed, about 60 yards away. A Leupold 1.5-5 VX3 is not quite as good, and an old 2-7 rimfire not as good, Lower powers are better. In reality the larger tube scopes are better in the eye relief area, having a better range of use, that is distance from the ocular to the eye. The little 3/4 " tube scope has a much more critical eye relief.
My suggestion would be to visit some stores that carry scopes and look at some and compare.
A fixed power will probably be consistently better across a wider range of use than variable powers, which will be better at one paticular power, probably a lower power. Just my opinion. I like the variables for bench use and zeroing, Often I can turn the power up and see the bullet holes without the need for a spotting scope, and then turn it way down for field use or plinking.

Top Bottom