What's new

Wanting a Gun safe maybe Black Friday deal

My advice:

If you like guns, buy bigger than you think you need, and pay someone to move/deliver it.

I bought from a safe dealer with a showroom and delivery service. I think he charged 200 bucks to deliver it to my basement and it was worth every penny.

He even had the safe covered with a camo blanket when it came out of the truck to keep prying eyes from seeing what he was delivering.

I thought this was debated through and through and decided that unless you have multiple layers of security or buy a real safe, that these safes mentioned are just tuna cans.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I thought this was debated through and through and decided that unless you have multiple layers of security or buy a real safe, that these safes mentioned are just tuna cans.

Still gotta have a tuna can to go with the multiple layers of security don’t you?

That’s exactly what this thread is about? He’s just now shopping for his tuna can. :)

Got a Cabela’s & Bass Pro advertisement in the mail just today, showing some really nice Browning tuna cans on sale for Christmas. :)

OkieStubble

I purchased two safes from Securit two years ago and I could not be happier.

Those look legit! And a Black Friday sale!

The model ‘Agile Quad Kit’ on sale for $2,299 reg price $2,799 is absolutely cool and what I would love to have.

:)

I'm always up for enlightenment....
Being of the opinion Liberty and Ft. Knox were considered (among some others) upper end safes vs. tuna cans, what manufacturers are currently producing safes better/more secure than these?
Friend of mine currently has a fairly new Cannon safe which is keeping his arsenal quite secure....lock has failed and he can't get into the safe at all. Cannon CS is no help. Sad to say a locksmith is the next step😳

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Being of the opinion Liberty and Ft. Knox were considered (among some others) upper end safes vs. tuna cans, what manufacturers are currently producing safes better/more secure than these?
Friend of mine currently has a fairly new Cannon safe which is keeping his arsenal quite secure....lock has failed and he can't get into the safe at all. Cannon CS in no help. Sad to say a locksmith is the next step😳

If I had the collection of quality firearms you do, I’d post an armed guard, some infrared laser detection system and possibly a few old school booby traps like several holes in the yard filled with poison laced punji sticks. Along with my Liberty safes and alarm system. :)

Most thieves do not carry plasma torches. They are looking to grab the easy stuff and get out. This is why a lock on a door prevents theft, usually. It isn’t that a determined thief can’t break through. Placing a safe in an unnoticed place in the house, such as a bedroom or basement closet, helps as well.

Friend of mine currently has a fairly new Cannon safe which is keeping his arsenal quite secure....lock has failed and he can't get into the safe at all. Cannon CS is no help. Sad to say a locksmith is the next step😳
Ok, take this with a grain of salt. I made my living for 40+ years with steel and currently have a metal fabrication shop. There is a reason that all the safe manufactures that you mention do not disclose what their safes are made of. Liberty and Ft. Knox are no exception, just more pricy tuna cans. Ever wonder why that is? If you want some "enlightenment" about a "better, more secure than these", but don't want to spend $15k for a real safe. Check our sturdysafe.com Their base product has a 3/8" steel door and 4g sides. 4g is just shy of 1/4". They go up from there to 1/2" all around. Made in Fresno, Ca.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 6.45.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 6.45.43 AM.png
    488.8 KB · Views: 11

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Liberty "Revere" (entry level) 64 gun safe normally 1699.99 on sale for 1199.99 and 24 month interest free financing (limited time offer) at TSC. Only thing left is to convince SWMBO and it's mine!

I should have started planning for this purchase sooner. My local TSC said they only do curb side delivery. I wan the safe in the walk out basement.

I look at the safe as away to slow down and hopefully deter a wood be thief. It is a balance of cost vs. protection.

I also plan on putting the safe in a safe place. It will be out of sight. After a little more planning it will be in a room behind a storage room.

This safe will be used to store guns that I do not use for self defense or home defense so I do not have to get quick access to them.

Still looking only want to buy 1 not just 1 right now. Still have time.

Random Thoughts as a 25yr prosecutor who has had a hand in the forced opening of safes.

Most safes keep honest people honest and kids safe. The over and under for a”real” safe that will protect from fire and/or a determined advisory installed can be north of 5k.

The ease with which safes in 1K space can be opened by folks serving warrants is pretty surprising.

Bolting it down well can really help no matter what the cost. If it is not bolted down, pushing off to the side often creates a little breach which is easily exploited by big guys and pry bars and/or power tools. Admittedly, the folks I am talking about are not worried about making noise or a mess and have time.

In broad strokes, you thoughts re installation, hiding it in plain sight an hardening the house in general are spot on.

Most thieves do not carry plasma torches. They are looking to grab the easy stuff and get out. This is why a lock on a door prevents theft, usually. It isn’t that a determined thief can’t break through. Placing a safe in an unnoticed place in the house, such as a bedroom or basement closet, helps as well.
First, you're right, most thieves don't carry plasma cutters, because they don't need one to get into a tuna can. A battery powered cutoff wheel can open one up in a few minutes.
Plasma cutters could get into a real safe, but they need lots of electricity and air. A dedicated 220 line (no extension cords) and at least a 4.5 CFM @90psi compressor.
A thief is not getting into my safe, even with my own plasma cutter because he couldn't power it.
That's a Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter right above the blue compressor.
I suppose a thief could drag my oxy/acetylene tanks into the house, but I'm not too worried about that either, because hardly anyone knows how to use them anymore. Kinda along the lines of the best anti theft device for an auto these days is a manual transmission.
Anyone knowing how to use these tools would also know that all that molten steel has to go somewhere, most likely burning up what you are trying to steal and everything around it.
I think @OkieStubble figured the most cost effective way to protect your guns is with multiple layers of security.
I wouldn't expect anyone to understand my point of view, but somebody mentioned "enlightenment", so take it with a grain of salt.
IMG_0234.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Liberty "Revere" (entry level) 64 gun safe normally 1699.99 on sale for 1199.99 and 24 month interest free financing (limited time offer) at TSC. Only thing left is to convince SWMBO and it's mine!
Unfortunately SWMBO is not as easily swayed as I had hoped. Oh well, maybe next year.

Liberty seem to be a good bang for the buck. I've had one for several years that I've been happy with. Got mine on sale at the local Atwoods.
Aren't they the ones who gave up the safe combination when law enforcement contacted them asking for it? Even apple refuses to break into a phone when the government asks. I'll pass on Liberty safes, thank you.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Aren't they the ones who gave up the safe combination when law enforcement contacted them asking for it? Even apple refuses to break into a phone when the government asks. I'll pass on Liberty safes, thank you.

Some people don't need no stinkin' combination.

OkieStubble

First, you're right, most thieves don't carry plasma cutters, because they don't need one to get into a tuna can. A battery powered cutoff wheel can open one up in a few minutes.
Plasma cutters could get into a real safe, but they need lots of electricity and air. A dedicated 220 line (no extension cords) and at least a 4.5 CFM @90psi compressor.
A thief is not getting into my safe, even with my own plasma cutter because he couldn't power it.
That's a Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter right above the blue compressor.
I suppose a thief could drag my oxy/acetylene tanks into the house, but I'm not too worried about that either, because hardly anyone knows how to use them anymore. Kinda along the lines of the best anti theft device for an auto these days is a manual transmission.
Anyone knowing how to use these tools would also know that all that molten steel has to go somewhere, most likely burning up what you are trying to steal and everything around it.
I think @OkieStubble figured the most cost effective way to protect your guns is with multiple layers of security.
I wouldn't expect anyone to understand my point of view, but somebody mentioned "enlightenment", so take it with a grain of salt.View attachment 1754520

This post kinda reminds me of the famous phrase and line used in the Crocodile Dundee movie…

“Now, that’s a safe!” :)

Top Bottom