What's new

How to Cut Thru Marketing Haze

The first ones made of Bakelite might have been a true Fasan reproduction. The new ABS monster ones have been made milder to appeal to the wider masses. A typical marketing trick. Unfortunately I read a comment of a user who has both the early and the new colourful monster razor just on the day I received my El Fantasma. My mistake.
I don't think you made a mistake. You got yourself a great razor that is el fantastically effective with an appropriate blade like a Nacet, and the best part it GLOWS! Name another "artisan" razor that glows like Kryptonite for any price :)

Last edited:
You've already gotten great advice from a lot of the pros here. I'll add a few thoughts as well, if you don't mind ...
It seems to me that you're not only performance driven but also value conscious, which fits my modus operandi as well. So here's a few more tips, as if you need 'em!
For modern safety razors, I think it's really hard to beat an Edwin Jagger DE89 or Rockwell 6C. Either can be had for under $60 and will last a lifetime. The Rockwell has the added advantage of being adjustable via exchanging the included base plates. Highly recommended!
I concur with many here that vintage Gillettes are a wonderful way to go. I was hesitant at first but invested in a 1955 Blue Tip, then added three more to my burgeoning collection. As you've already discovered, Ebay is a good way to go but I've found Etsy is as good, if not better. All of my vintage Gillettes are Super Speeds and they all provide great shaves.
Don't forget that blades make a huge difference. Some really good value blades are Astra Superior Platinums (they can be had for $8/100) or Shark Super Stainless for even less. Of course, you can also spend more on Gillette Perma-Sharps, Silver Blues or Platinums. All are excellent but you may like one over the other.
Lastly, I like Stirling Soaps, a family-run operation out of Arkansas that offers great products for reasonable prices. And in shave creams, I like Cremo products, which are really slick and quite affordable, although I've seen rather large price hikes in the last couple of months.
Anyway, enough of my prattle. Enjoy the journey! You've come to a great place for advice.

I have only tried the .68 and .84 base plates for the GameChanger from RazoRock, but by all accounts so far their new .76 plate would be an excellent first razor. Mild-ish, but not too mild. That is what I would have bought if it had been available when I started.

Plus the GC is high quality stainless and production, and modestly priced too.

I would also suggest getting one of their lighter handles, not the heavier ones.

Even if you end up preferring a different razor, the GC would still make a very good and economic intro to serious wet shaving.

Yes, @Bobovata, you beat me to it.:D

One of the plates ought to be the one for you.

For a long time I thought it was the .68, but the .GC.84P is now my number one favourite.

The default Bulldog handle is IMO a bad match, too heavy and too long.

Get an aluminium one, and enjoy vintage razor weight + modern CNC head precision. I got an 84mm Windrose handle at 23g, but there will be others.

I don't think you made a mistake. You got yourself a great razor that is el fantastically effective with an appropriate blade like a Nacet, and the best part it GLOWS! Name another "artisan" razor that glows like Kryptonite for any price :)
Can't get BBS with that razor with my barbwire. Even with Gillette Stainless which is sharper than the Nacet you mentioned. Don't care much for glowing, especially since I don't shave in the dark.

There is no magic answer to post #1.

There is a but, the but is people back in day were happy using Vintage Razors, and Blue Blades.

We did not have many choice, but to use what was available.

This Fourm has many members who use Vintage Razors who happy with results.

Others got to buy and try everything that is new, and hyped as better then anything before.
I don’t ever remember being happy with Blue Blades.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, I've thought about it, but will not want to buy anything used, unless it is a heavily discounted high-end--you know, "fell off the truck"...
That's a perfectly acceptable position around here. But we have a lot (and I mean really a lot) of shavers who shop with reckless abandon. They eventually end up with exactly what they want, and a sizable pile of lightly used equipment that often ends up on the B&B Buy, Sell or Trade part of the forum. It's a great place to get a terrific bang for your buck if that's important to you.

We also love questions here. Given that we have lots of shavers with lots of equipment experience, don't hesitate to ask specific questions. If you're down to a couple of choices and can't decide this would be a fine place for some feedback.

I don’t ever remember being happy with Blue Blades.
My dad used them, and since I used my dad's Gillette razor until I was about 18, I guess I used them, too.

But back then not only would I not have known the difference, but nobody else would have, either, at least where I lived then.

But those dispensers were damned neat!

In 1960's the Blue Blades were every where, some place like cousin Joe who had two drug stores so Gillette only.
The dispensers were a hell of any idea, but it looks like no current manufactures have adopted this idea--or very few, anyway.

Do you suppose that the blades in the dispenser, because they're unprotected from the environment, deteriorate too quickly?

The dispensers were a hell of any idea, but it looks like no current manufactures have adopted this idea--or very few, anyway.

Do you suppose that the blades in the dispenser, because they're unprotected from the environment, deteriorate too quickly?
I am not scientist, corporations want people to invest in them, they seek profits, profits drive stock prices up, it’s about making money.

Not making customers happy. Customer use to be important, not do much no more.

I am not scientist, corporations want people to invest in them, they seek profits, profits drive stock prices up, it’s about making money.

Not making customers happy. Customer use to be important, not do much no more.

Yes.

Regrettably, it's getting to be every man for himself, or damned close.

Too bad; feels ugly to me, and my daughter is not going to see how good it once was, unless it flip-flops, and sure doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.

But, oh well...

Yes.

Regrettably, it's getting to be every man for himself, or damned close.

Too bad; feels ugly to me, and my daughter is not going to see how good it once was, unless it flip-flops, and sure doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.

But, oh well...

Now the only way I see to change the World is a person at a time.

Some companies actually care about repeat customers.

Others do not. I try, and avoid the ones who do not.

I also fell for the Viking Blade Amazon propaganda. I will be polite, my only comment is that they are junk and their customer service is terrible.
Amazon would not let me leave negative feedback, so I wont be the last newbie sucker that falls in that trap.

I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. I rarely purchase from there anymore for similar reasons. They sell way too much stuff that is pure junk and you cannot rely on product reviews at all anymore.

Top Bottom