What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

Hi
^^ Im guessing those are the 'before' pics.
yes, it's all cleaned and polished up now. I'm making a run to tractor supply for some international harvester red paint for the tip. Someone here posted about heating it in the oven. I gotta find out what temp and how long.

I am also dubious about OP's "unappreciated" claim, but I do own two red tips and ABSOLUTELY LOVE them.

The only vintage razor I like better than the Red Tip is my New Improved, I probably also like the Fat Boy (but it is really close)

Here was my shave yesterday with my '56.
SOTD 4.3.18.jpg

but..................

I am also dubious about OP's "unappreciated" claim, but I do own two red tips and ABSOLUTELY LOVE them.

The only vintage razor I like better than the Red Tip is my New Improved, I probably also like the Fat Boy (but it is really close)

Here was today's with my new-to-me New Improved. Wow.....fantastic. Easily the best shave I've ever had with any open comb.

SOTD 4.4.18.jpg

When I first got back into DE razor shaving I was using an Aristocrat (1956-57). I found a nice red tip for 25 bucks and it was smooth but I got irritation, weepers and nicks. Now after a month or so I get no irritation, or weepers, or nicks. The alum stone does not sting and I get great shaves. I used to think it was very aggressive but no more. I think it is between mild and aggressive YMMV. I love it.
Bill

I have a Blue Tip and it's a smooth shaver. I used a Flare Tip for the first time tonight and it gave a DFS right off even cleaned my hard to clean throat area with no irritation. I won this the other day and we'll see if it lives up to it's reputation when I get it.
View attachment 872729
I really like the handle on this one.
From the looks of it I think that it will clean up very nicely. Good luck with it.

It is more assertive and heavier than a regular Flare Tip.
I found that out tonight. The blade is a lot more exposed than a Flare Tip. I got a GS but with a few weepers and the craziest slice ever. I brought the razor towards the side of my nose and the blade made contact. Overall I'm very happy with it, now to tame it.

It did clean up very well, the red tip is totally intact.

For 'Made in England' Red Tips, some say the superspeed version is the rarest, others say the rocket version is.
I also saw a B&B wiki page that said the blade gap on the SS was 0.81mm.

Here's a passage from someone who sold their UK Red Tip Superspeed on Panjo:

"This is an extremely uncommon razor, even more so when you factor in just how clean it is. England produced a variety of their own versions of American Gillette razors. The majority of them included much improved build quality (this one being no different). There are in fact two English Red-Tips; the Rocket (rare by itself, but more common), and this one, the very rare SuperSpeed Version. I have yet to see one of these come up for sale. Occasionally, you might get lucky and see a Red-Tip Rocket come up for sale, but these almost never do....."

So which one is rarer?

I found that out tonight. The blade is a lot more exposed than a Flare Tip. I got a GS but with a few weepers and the craziest slice ever. I brought the razor towards the side of my nose and the blade made contact. Overall I'm very happy with it, now to tame it.

It did clean up very well, the red tip is totally intact.

Light touch, avoid pressure. The 7 o'clock blades seem to work well.

The regular Flare Tip is milder, more nimble, pretty fool proof. Of course, a Feather in that one kicks it up a notch.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Far from unappreciated, I broke mine out for today's shave after reading this yesterday.

Glass-smooth shave with no damage ... Wholly Kaw soap helped.

Does not live up to true aggressive hype, but does shave close indeed.

Simply a great razor. (Though I also get close shaves from it's blue and plain-metallic siblings).

I've eventually come to the conclusion a great shave is dependent on:

1. Technique.
2. Blade choice.
3. Then, the razor.
4. Good soap helps.

AA

For 'Made in England' Red Tips, some say the superspeed version is the rarest, others say the rocket version is.
I also saw a B&B wiki page that said the blade gap on the SS was 0.81mm.

Here's a passage from someone who sold their UK Red Tip Superspeed on Panjo:

"This is an extremely uncommon razor, even more so when you factor in just how clean it is. England produced a variety of their own versions of American Gillette razors. The majority of them included much improved build quality (this one being no different). There are in fact two English Red-Tips; the Rocket (rare by itself, but more common), and this one, the very rare SuperSpeed Version. I have yet to see one of these come up for sale. Occasionally, you might get lucky and see a Red-Tip Rocket come up for sale, but these almost never do....."

So which one is rarer?

I've seen more British red tip superspeeds than rockets both on the forums and evilbay over the years.

I had a Red Tip and really wanted to like it, but it didn't work for me.

That said, I am in the minority in this regard.

Glad to see the love for this razor. Since I see so many love threads about the Toggle, FB, Rockwell, Timeless, etc. razors I was surprised to see so few favorable comments about the Red Tip. I began to think of it as the Rodney Dangerfield of razors!

There I something to be said of the head shape of 50's Super Speeds. I find that the more domed head of the 50's SSs are more versatile with blades vs my 68 Slim. Do not have a red tip and will get one as it's on my radar. In the SS I get fantastic shaves with Voskhod. Same blade in a Slim on 3 and it's like a bottle cap. May have something to do with these along with weight and gap. My 74 SS I had at 12 was not as good as my 57.

There I something to be said of the head shape of 50's Super Speeds. I find that the more domed head of the 50's SSs are more versatile with blades vs my 68 Slim. Do not have a red tip and will get one as it's on my radar. In the SS I get fantastic shaves with Voskhod. Same blade in a Slim on 3 and it's like a bottle cap. May have something to do with these along with weight and gap. My 74 SS I had at 12 was not as good as my 57.
I'm trying a Voskhod blade in my '53 Super Speed right now. It does seem to return a bit better shave than that blade did in the Red Tip or the Slim.

I almost gave up on the Voskhod. When I loaded one in my SS I could not believe the results and the blade has gone 5 shaves. It has to be the head shape. Now I'm going to use all my blades in my stash to see how they fare. I had Slim blades and SS blades. If the SS handles them all well, then the SS gets top billing. My Dad never like the adjustables. He said they were too fiddly and never get it right. Thus, Dad bought me a 74 SS from my Uncles store. The 57 is much more efficient than I remember my black handle being. I was younger but still knew the drill. I'm going on memory but the Slim comparison reminds me of my 74. Back then the only blades I knew were Wilks because Dad used them and they were plentiful in my house. English Wilks and they were good.

I’m going to suggest the Tech as most under appreciated. Commonly considered mild, and/or a beginner’s razor. With practice, and a Feather, it’s a great shaver.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Another glass-smooth Red Tip shave today, with Stirling some-kind-of-pine soap.

I even dug the razor in, a miss-step which would have caused a nice cut with an OLD. Nothing happened, and I'm not sure why, when I was getting a close shave ....

AA

Based in the prices I think the 48-50 SS are underappreciated. I prefer the handle texture looks to the later versions, but that's just personal. I have read and do not know if true that the late '40's SS are more aggressive per gap width than later versions.

While I have always had a thick full beard, I do not think I need something specifically considered to be aggressive to achieve a stubble free, smooth face. More experimentation is needed as I acquire more razors, but I think it is the blade that make a razor more aggressive. I also think as men we gravitate toward the term "aggressive" versus "mild". We want stuff that's "bigger", "longer", "taller", or "fatter" than we do more "effective", or "efficient".

Top Bottom