What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

Do these red tips perform better with one specific blade.....

I have my favorites for other razors....and really don't want to be wasting too much time trying to figure out the best combination.

Karve OC w Gillette Super thin or Schoene w G. Nacet are my favs

I used non branded grocery store blades for years. I found 100 Astra for $9. That’s what I used in everything.

Is there supposed to be a difference in aggressiveness between the A and later models?
How about the width of the head?
My A does not fit in the pill bottle I have with alcohol, but B and C do. A also shaves a lot closer. They have the same weight. All made in the US

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is there supposed to be a difference in aggressiveness between the A and later models?

How about the width of the head?

My A does not fit in the pill bottle I have with alcohol, but B and C do. A also shaves a lot closer. They have the same weight. All made in the US

Mine are all the same width, about 1.71" with the end caps.
I haven't noticed any dissimilar characteristics in the shaves between all the years (I do not own a 1960).
There was a change in the retainer in 1958 and then some heads show ++ stamped in the base plate.
Never heard of any differences besides slight individual variances due to age, use, and abuse.

Are your end caps on tightly and straight? Maybe post a side-by-side pic.

Hi
yes, it's all cleaned and polished up now. I'm making a run to tractor supply for some international harvester red paint for the tip. Someone here posted about heating it in the oven. I gotta find out what temp and how long.

If you have a dentist friend he may autoclave it for you when he does his instruments.

in an oven 160 C aka 320 F for 2 hours

or 170 C aka 340 F for 1 hour

I never trust chemical sterilization. Those little buggers can hid in a place with a small pocket of air that may keep the chemicals out. you only need one to survive.

No, I'm not

You use yeast to make beer and wine. You use bacteria to make certain sour beers. they produce alcohol and thrive in it. they can then encapsulate and stay dormant for years. Studies have shown that the alcohol foam Doctors and Nurses use on their hands are nowhere near as effective as hand washing. Why do they pay the money for an autoclave if all they need is some cheap alcohol. Its heat for me. you do what you want. What is Barbercide? Alcohol that's all

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you have a dentist friend he may autoclave it for you when he does his instruments.

in an oven 160 C aka 320 F for 2 hours

or 170 C aka 340 F for 1 hour

I'm fairly certain the member wanted only advice to cure his new red enamel with heat. :001_unsur

I wonder how it turned out ... @Devil Dog

Talking about cleaning and polishing, I probably misunderstood what he wanted and stand corrected. So much for assumption. My red tip should be here Monday and I'm going to clean it, polish it, and the to the autoclave for peace of mind. Then a very careful and slow shave. Those numbers are correct if anyone wants to sterilize in a home oven.

I don't understand much of this conversation. Ovens are for baking cakes, pies, and cookies, not Gillette Red Tip razors.

But to be honest and open, there are many things in life that I don't understand. :001_huh:

I would never put a razor in an oven.
Moreover Ive never come across a repainted red tip that captures the original
red accurately...the original paint on the UK version seems to be almost bordering on a
very rich burgundy.

I'm fairly certain the member wanted only advice to cure his new red enamel with heat. :001_unsur

Screenshot_20190721-100500.png
Screenshot_20190721-100512.png

I have to agree that most restored Red tips , at least the ones I have seen and one I bought....the red does NOT come close to original. I rather have some character and history in a chipped burgundy than a bright red lipstick looking razor.....

To the member worried about microbes surviving hot water, detergent, barbicide and alcohol.....well maybe tuberculosis is the one and only I can think that might survive....
But if you go to the barber.....now that is something else....I quit out of paranoia years ago and got my own clippers.....

Top Bottom