What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

The rocket/58 and the redtip are my favorite Gillette ever. I had a 66 but it was not efficient at all. Too many passes. I don't find the red tip aggressive at all. It is very smooth and efficient. I can get an all day into the evening BBS shave from it every time with little effort. It's a gem
+1. I love this razor. Recently picked up a British red tip (lll) in great condition. I was astounded. I usually use a Fatboy at setting 5 first pass, setting 2 second pass. The red tip was no problem, felt great all the way through. All day BBS and zero irritation.

Any way to date the British red tips? When were they made? Here’s 2 pics:

Attachments

• FFCA3BA2-9528-4046-9D4A-9C9F83218C12.jpeg
    FFCA3BA2-9528-4046-9D4A-9C9F83218C12.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • EED897D9-C824-4D12-BBE0-83EF467675D6.jpeg
    EED897D9-C824-4D12-BBE0-83EF467675D6.jpeg
    988.8 KB · Views: 56
+1. I love this razor. Recently picked up a British red tip (lll) in great condition. I was astounded. I usually use a Fatboy at setting 5 first pass, setting 2 second pass. The red tip was no problem, felt great all the way through. All day BBS and zero irritation.

Any way to date the British red tips? When were they made? Here’s 2 pics:

You have an uncommon and hard to find razor (Red Tip Super Speed) not Rocket. The US Flair Tip razor (Gen 2) was introduced in 1954 and can be dated with MFG codes. The Brit Red Tip Mfg time would coincide with the intro of US Red and Blue Tips the 1955-1959 time frame. The US Red and Blue Tips also have date codes.

Just got a red tip. Have only had one shave so far, but it was good. Haven’t noticed it as being particularly aggressive, but I’m reserving judgment for more experience. I think the handle’s a bit short, but again, too soon to tell. Does feel good.
Jack

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had one several years ago and liked it until I came upon a Gillette New and never used any other razor after that until I started using straight razors.

My British Red Tip Rocket is definitely under appreciated since I've been playing in the straight razor section of the forum. I really need to use this more! 🚀🚀🚀🚀

View attachment 1367353
Nice looking RT Rocket.
Have you compared it to the RT SuperSpeed?
From what have managed to read by those lucky enough to have had both - the English RT SuperSpeed is both smoother and more efficient than the RT Rocket .. ??

Nice looking RT Rocket.
Have you compared it to the RT SuperSpeed?
From what have managed to read by those lucky enough to have had both - the English RT SuperSpeed is both smoother and more efficient than the RT Rocket .. ??
Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to shave with a English Red Tip Superspeed but it is on my list of to dos. That being said, the Rocket is a pretty smooth operator in its own right.🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

I have had quite a few pass through my hands, and just keep hold of the better ones with no plate loss.
They really aren`t the fearful aggressive razors the reputation can often promote; after all - they are Gillette`s ..

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_134003.jpg
    IMG_20211127_134003.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20211127_134141.jpg
    IMG_20211127_134141.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 43
I have 4 English Red Tip SuperSpeeds .. yet to find a Red Tip Rocket; from my experience the Red Tip Rockets are a lot more uncommon.

It's hard to argue that point since you have four. I only have one Red Tip SS and a Red Tip Rocket. In my case it was the opposite. I had no problem finding a cased Rocket but one hell of a time finding the Brit SS. Over the years during my buying/collecting phase I was luckly to stumble upon all 7 Flair Tip Rockets (one at a time) so I bought them as I did. Have cases for all too. The darn prettiest one is the Gold followed by the Rhodium. Cheers Pat...

It's hard to argue that point since you have four. I only have one Red Tip SS and a Red Tip Rocket. In my case it was the opposite. I had no problem finding a cased Rocket but one hell of a time finding the Brit SS. Over the years during my buying/collecting phase I was luckly to stumble upon all 7 Flair Tip Rockets (one at a time) so I bought them as I did. Have cases for all too. The darn prettiest one is the Gold followed by the Rhodium. Cheers Pat...
BTW I've been lucky to also find all three Brit Super Speeds and cases. If you haven't figured it out by now, I love the British razors. I have a good collection of US Gillettes too, but have a place in my heart for the Limey shavers.

Such a shame they didnt do the Red Tip in a `Special Rhodium edition`.

That said; the HD Rocket is a close 2nd favourite, and that in Rhodium would have been something too.

BTW I've been lucky to also find all three Brit Super Speeds and cases. If you haven't figured it out by now, I love the British razors. I have a good collection of US Gillettes too, but have a place in my heart for the Limey shavers.
Specifically, what do you like about British razors, vs. the American counterparts?

Specifically, what do you like about British razors, vs. the American counterparts?
For example the opening and closing movement on the Rockets TTO are smoother than the US verison - almost instrument like. The Brit upscale razors w/presenation cases (circa 1930 - 1950's) are just alittle more elegant. I'm not saying they shave better, but the Brits just seemed to add a touch of refinement to their verison on the US counterparts. Having said that the US made some real beauties too. The 1934 Aristocrat (first year) is my favorite. Below are a few examples: Brit #58, Brit Gold Flair Tip, Brit #70 and Brit #15. Also here is the US 1934 Aristocrat, US NEW Standard and US Diplomat. Pat

Brit#58.JPGimg_1535 (1).jpgIMG_7836.JPG11 (1).JPGIMG_20210904_080755561 (1).jpgNEW Standard.JPG1.JPG

Top Bottom