What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

I like my Superspeed Flaire tip. I have tried techs, modern ones etc., but my Flare tip doesn't care which blade is in it, always delivers a nice smooth shave. Even dorco that I used to hate has become one of my favorite blades when loaded in Superspeed. Cheap chinese Blue blades with Flare tip? Not a problem, 2 excellent shaves and done.

Yeah, I don't think folks are paying their pay checks for "red tips" because of need. Gillette was making all anyone needed in the '40's.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My Red Tip is hands down my favorite razor. It's got the perfect balance of smoothness and efficiency. Not aggressive at all - just effective. I love the size and heft. Just a joy to use.

I have always found the Red Tip to be highly regarded on B&B. It maybe doesn't have quite as much of a cult following as some of the Gillette OCs or adjustables.

Well I finally found one....I mean two. Left is a '59, the one on the right a '56. Fortunately I was able to acquire both for $22.
Red Tips 2.jpg

I top have multiple red tips, even a Paladium plated one that you need to wear sunglasses while shaving.

proxy.php

I just wanted to follow-up with my first shave with the red tip 1959 that showed up yesterday with a one shave used Astra blade. I accomplished as much with one pass (shave) than I sometime get from the second pass (shave). I didn't get this with the 1956 red tip, but I'm going to take it to the beach for a week and see what happens over a 10 day period.

This week I have a GSB blade loaded in my Red Tip, and (as I'm experimenting with 36 hours between shaves this week) it should come up for duty on Thursday am.

This week I have a GSB blade loaded in my Red Tip, and (as I'm experimenting with 36 hours between shaves this week) it should come up for duty on Thursday am.
And so it did, and the Red Tip yielded a fine shave as always with a shower first, CF Sherlock soap bowl-whipped by badger, and Clubman aftershave.

I have two red tips, and I am not impressed at all by them. All my adjustables beat them and at setting 5; Rocket beats it, 1940's TTO , too. I just got the 2nd one, thinking the first was defective. I do shave my head and have used new Gillette blades (that work well w other razors). Frustrated....I wonder if all this excitement is all dark smoke....sales tactics.... Old 1940 open comb.....way better

Red Tip is a mid to late 50s razor. Pop in a Feather, Polsilver, 7 o'clock yellow and it is quietly efficient. But do not compare it to an earlier open comb. The Red Tip is a working man's Diplomat, Executive, President, etc.

I have two red tips, and I am not impressed at all by them. All my adjustables beat them and at setting 5; Rocket beats it, 1940's TTO , too. I just got the 2nd one, thinking the first was defective. I do shave my head and have used new Gillette blades (that work well w other razors). Frustrated....I wonder if all this excitement is all dark smoke....sales tactics.... Old 1940 open comb.....way better

It would be foolish to consider one person's experience as a definitive measure of a very popular razor. All of this is so highly subjective as well as based on folks with varied abilities.

Also, I am surprised at how many shave 2-3 times a week if that much making comparisons or a shave off pretty meaningless. If you like an adjustable, that's what you should use.

I prefer the red tip to the slim and fatboy. It is actually one of my favorite among the Gillettes.
If I could pick one actual Superspeed that would be it.
If I could only have one Gillette....that would be tough.
But based on the shave alone, from that era, probably a red tip.

I prefer the red tip to the slim and fatboy. It is actually one of my favorite among the Gillettes.
If I could pick one actual Superspeed that would be it.
If I could only have one Gillette....that would be tough.
But based on the shave alone, from that era, probably a red tip.

Just can't get interested in a Fat Boy. Tried, but failed. I know they are popular. They seem best suited for those that shave infrequently. They look good.

In my small collection I have a '59 Red Tip and a '47 no notch SS. Both provide an effective shave. ;)

Just can't get interested in a Fat Boy. Tried, but failed. I know they are popular. They seem best suited for those that shave infrequently. They look good.

In my small collection I have a '59 Red Tip and a '47 no notch SS. Both provide an effective shave. ;)
I just looked at mine: one is A and the other B?

Do these red tips perform better with one specific blade.....

I have my favorites for other razors....and really don't want to be wasting too much time trying to figure out the best combination.

Karve OC w Gillette Super thin or Schoene w G. Nacet are my favs

Top Bottom