What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

In the old days of straight razors, before penicillin, Tetanus from razor nicks was a killer, and that was your own bacteria. I'm not going to debate it is pointless. I just feel you can't be too careful especially with the antibiotic resistant bacteria strains around. I just passed some information on for those who want to consider it. I will continue "baking" my razors every two weeks just to be on the safe side. Fact is a razor collects soap scum, dead skin, and the bacteria contained within. These items may protect it from the alcohol by forming a barrier. Heat is the best safeguard. Maybe that is why they use it on the instruments in the OR and Dental offices.

I get a tetnus vaccine. Bacteria doesn
In the old days of straight razors, before penicillin, Tetanus from razor nicks was a killer, and that was your own bacteria. I'm not going to debate it is pointless. I just feel you can't be too careful especially with the antibiotic resistant bacteria strains around. I just passed some information on for those who want to consider it. I will continue "baking" my razors every two weeks just to be on the safe side. Fact is a razor collects soap scum, dead skin, and the bacteria contained within. These items may protect it from the alcohol by forming a barrier. Heat is the best safeguard. Maybe that is why they use it on the instruments in the OR and Dental offices.

5 Men Who Died From Shaving | The Art of Manliness

IMG_0974.jpg
A3 (this one is aggressive, A4 is ok, and the revamped C.

when I saw the first ones I thought for sure that was brass corrosion and would need new nickel. That old maroon looks like Nissan inferno from a few years ago, but the red looks better. I hope I as lucky with the two I just bought.
Thanks for the info. Enjoy

I

I'll bet anything in history there are many more that died of Hepatits B or C contracted while being shaved and no one knows. But still....its NOTHING compared to the number of shaves.....Billions..... It's all good!!! Skin is a good barrier....just don't cut yourselves too much....and if so...pour some alcohol....

I got most of my cutting done when I was 14. I'm a bit older and wiser now not to mention muscle memory.

The Red Tip is unappreciated, because it isn't as widely available as the regular Super speeds for those of us, who don't live in the States. Otherwise a it's a very good razor. Used to have one. Not a fan of the high profile head. I prefer my Slims and Super Adjustables cranked up to 9.

Didn't cost a lot & I can always count on for a good shave:
My Red Tips are certainly in that category
My first New Deluxe
I'm happy to see I have some that fall into that category!

R

romsitsa

View attachment 1000940 A3 (this one is aggressive, A4 is ok, and the revamped C.

Hello,

the “A” has a very uneven blade gap, something is bent, so once closed, the door isn’t parallel to the base plate.
For the different width of the heads, the main parts were the same, but some have thicker end connectors. These thicker tabs can make a difference of 1-1,5 mm in total width.

Adam

I just got 3 Schick injector razors today in the mail. All had the blades in (1st - points). One looks new... the other 2 are the filthiest I have ever received....rust, soap scum, etc.... Now I am starting to consider some extra steps to clean/bake em... You infected me w your paranoia

Hello,

the “A” has a very uneven blade gap, something is bent, so once closed, the door isn’t parallel to the base plate.
For the different width of the heads, the main parts were the same, but some have thicker end connectors. These thicker tabs can make a difference of 1-1,5 mm in total width.

Adam
Thanks for your input! You are right-- one side the bar/plate is bent (I had not noticed it, besides the rough shaves). I put some reading glasses and tried my best to get it straight.... Will try some other day-- hope I fixed it...or at least that it doesn't scrape.

Do you have any razors that don't cost a fortune but you can always count on?
To answer the original question...
I'm using my QShave Futur clone about half of the time now, alternating it with one of 12 other razors. I got it for something like CAD$20 on Amazon.
For one thing, it seems to work well with Feather blades in the early stages of breaking the blade in. (I'm up to 31 shaves on the current Feather.)
It takes a bit of getting used to though.

I just got 3 Schick injector razors today in the mail. All had the blades in (1st - points). One looks new... the other 2 are the filthiest I have ever received....rust, soap scum, etc.... Now I am starting to consider some extra steps to clean/bake em... You infected me w your paranoia

I bought two red tips from ebay. The First was a A-2 for $35 and it looked better than new. I was floored at how good it looked for the price. You could use the doors for a shaving mirrors. The dealer knew his business and even opened it up and cleaned inside the handle and mechanism. The second was a C-3 and it was a mess for $25. it was a filthy oxidized mess with something sticky all over it. I sat down with a bottle of Mother's pre wax cleaner, a few cotton polish cloths and went to work. It was never cleaned. The doors don't have a scratch on them and are almost mirror like as is the handle. I saw where someone posted here somewhere how to modify a screwdriver to remove the screw and get inside the handle. Thank you and this site. Now a question, I'm trying to remember how shiny Gillette doors were when new. Am I correct that they were reflective but a little dull and not mirror like? The '55 got an alcohol dip and then a few shaves first with a Personna red which was much more aggressive than my EJ 59. I then went with a Derby Extra and while it felt aggressive it was smooth as was my face after the shave. What is a logical choice in blade between the Derby and Personna? I would appreciate any help on these questions.

After I get the '57 cleaned inside and lubed it will definitely go into the oven. Maybe I should have an expendable relative shave with it first like kings of old had food tasters.

I bought two red tips from ebay. The First was a A-2 for $35 and it looked better than new. I was floored at how good it looked for the price. You could use the doors for a shaving mirrors. The dealer knew his business and even opened it up and cleaned inside the handle and mechanism. The second was a C-3 and it was a mess for $25. it was a filthy oxidized mess with something sticky all over it. I sat down with a bottle of Mother's pre wax cleaner, a few cotton polish cloths and went to work. It was never cleaned. The doors don't have a scratch on them and are almost mirror like as is the handle. I saw where someone posted here somewhere how to modify a screwdriver to remove the screw and get inside the handle. Thank you and this site. Now a question, I'm trying to remember how shiny Gillette doors were when new. Am I correct that they were reflective but a little dull and not mirror like? The '55 got an alcohol dip and then a few shaves first with a Personna red which was much more aggressive than my EJ 59. I then went with a Derby Extra and while it felt aggressive it was smooth as was my face after the shave. What is a logical choice in blade between the Derby and Personna? I would appreciate any help on these questions.

After I get the '57 cleaned inside and lubed it will definitely go into the oven. Maybe I should have an expendable relative shave with it first like kings of old had food tasters.
Gillete made in Russia
Astra
Parker

Thanks Xiletero. I assume you mean the Gillettes in the green package the super stainless? I've never tried the parker so I need to get a trial package. The charts on sharpness vs comfort are all over the place and they don't agree on much. In my younger days with a slim the English made Wilkies had a great balance between sharpness and comfort. Something changed when they moved to Germany, or my face did.

I like all the Gillette blades made in Russia: Platinum, Silver Blue, both 7 O'Clocks (green and yellow) and my fav: Nacet. I found some Wilkies I have: UK, GER and the Wilkinson Sword-Gillette made in India and China. These last 2 I have tried favoring the chinese.

Top Bottom