What's new

Gillette Red Tip: The Unappreciated Razor

When I joined B&B I had a FB and Slim as my everyday razors. I was a fan of adjustables and the first new razor I bought after joining B&B was a Progress.

However, I wanted a travel razor - one that I could keep permanently in my travel bag and not be concerned if it were lost, left behind, or stolen. I saw a Red Tip on eBay and picked it up for about $10. This was the first non-adjustable razor I had used in close to 50 years. My first shave with this razor was amazing. I had originally planned to keep it in my travel kit but opted to buy another one. One I would keep in my home rotation and one in my travel bag.

What I like about this razor is that I can get a good shave with it no matter what blade I use - even Derby and Rockwell blades!

Do you have any razors that don't cost a fortune but you can always count on?

My '56 Red Tip impressed me just as yours has impressed you. I have a '62 Slim, and it gives great shaves . . . but there is something special about the weight, domed head, and fancy knurling on the handle of the Red Tip. I've run Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow blades, Gillette Silver Blues, Voskhods, and Personna Platinum Reds in it, and all have provided good shaves.

Is it really aggressive? I'm new to TTO's (being a Tech guy), and have just purchased my first - a #58 British Aristocrat. I'm interested in a Fatboy, a Slim, Blue and Red tip etc....I know the Blue tip is considered mild, but I want to try both. I do not like aggressive razors.

I'm not really one to ask about aggressive vs. non-aggressive. I'd read that here about the Red Tip, and took it extra easy on my first few shaves with it. No problems. Some here reckon it aggressive, some say, "Pfft! Not half as aggressive as my ___________!"

Any razor can be aggressive if you're not careful with it.

From my experience "aggressive" razors usually tame up with experience and consistantly using the same razor. People here use the 41 as a daily shaver which has a pretty aggressive reputation. Red tip was pretty rough at first but now it one of my smoothest shaving razors for every day use.

Is it really aggressive? I'm new to TTO's (being a Tech guy), and have just purchased my first - a #58 British Aristocrat. I'm interested in a Fatboy, a Slim, Blue and Red tip etc....I know the Blue tip is considered mild, but I want to try both. I do not like aggressive razors.

If you like mild razors you will like the #58 plus it looks like a million bucks.
And you will absolutely LOVE the #16...bit pricey these days but well worth it.

I sold my 58 as it wasn't as aggressive as I wanted.

Got a pretty clean Red Tip Superspeed headed my way from manchester as we speak, so in a week I'll know if the hype is real.

IMG_20180402_172451391.jpg
IMG_20180402_172414123.jpg

My Slim has become my go-to razor for regular shaving, simply because I love my Fatboy and don’t want to put it through the ringer just yet.

I got a great deal on the Slim, it’s almost as smooth as the FB, and gives great shaves. I also put it right in with my folding Feather SS for trips.

I have a Blue Tip and it's a smooth shaver. I used a Flare Tip for the first time tonight and it gave a DFS right off even cleaned my hard to clean throat area with no irritation. I won this the other day and we'll see if it lives up to it's reputation when I get it.
RedTip.jpg
I really like the handle on this one.

The Red Tip is a great shaver!

In answer to your question about an ‘under appreciateiated razor’ that would go well in a travel kit: I use a Lord L6 which is a nice shaver that would not break my heart if it got lost or damaged.

Anyone know if theres a difference between Red Tips made in Usa and UK? And between rest tip rockets and super speeds

Besides looks? The US red tip has a .65 blade gap. I believe that the UK red tip super speed has the same blade gap and weight, but is the hardest to find.
The red tip rocket has a .81 blade gap and is heavier.

I have a red tip rocket on the way in a few days and will be able to compare to my US red tip.

Last edited:
I just finish 12 shaves with my Red Tip and a Personna Platinum...every shave was great (with Williams Mug Soap)
I've now got 2 or 3 Red and 203 Blue...can't decide which I prefer...
The Red is not that aggressive..

The rocket/58 and the redtip are my favorite Gillette ever. I had a 66 but it was not efficient at all. Too many passes. I don't find the red tip aggressive at all. It is very smooth and efficient. I can get an all day into the evening BBS shave from it every time with little effort. It's a gem

When I joined B&B I had a FB and Slim as my everyday razors. I was a fan of adjustables and the first new razor I bought after joining B&B was a Progress.

However, I wanted a travel razor - one that I could keep permanently in my travel bag and not be concerned if it were lost, left behind, or stolen. I saw a Red Tip on eBay and picked it up for about $10. This was the first non-adjustable razor I had used in close to 50 years. My first shave with this razor was amazing. I had originally planned to keep it in my travel kit but opted to buy another one. One I would keep in my home rotation and one in my travel bag.

What I like about this razor is that I can get a good shave with it no matter what blade I use - even Derby and Rockwell blades!

Do you have any razors that don't cost a fortune but you can always count on?
I'm going to have to try my rockwell blades in my red tip. Maybe that will be the magical combination.

Top Bottom