What's new

Gillette compares disposable cartridges to a straight razor on their website.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you had your fortune sunk into the paper plate business, you'd try to make the same comparison to those nasty china plates your mom used.

Advantages of Paper Plates​

Some advantages that can make using paper plates an attractive option for your business include:
  • Convenience: Compared to reusable plates that you have to wash and dry after each use, paper plates can save you time and hassle in your office. You can simply toss your used paper plate in the trash and return to work.

• Safety: Unlike glass and ceramic plates that you can drop and break, paper plates are much safer. You won't have to worry about yourself or anybody else getting cut from sharp remnants due to a fallen plate.

• Hygiene: Since they're designed for one-time use, paper plates come with the benefit of hygiene. When only one person touches and eats off the plate, there's less of a chance for bacteria to grow or sickness to spread.

• Ease of transport: Since paper plates are thin and compact, you can easily transport a large stack around the office or to business events. Reusable plates made of other materials like ceramic can weigh much more and come with a risk of damage during transit. You'll also need much less space to store the paper plates and can simply carry them easily in a bag or box when needed.

• Cost (in cases of light use): If you only use plates occasionally in the office for meals, you can find paper plates a more affordable option than buying more expensive dinnerware. You can also save money since you won't need to use water to wash the plates or have an employee use their time to wash dishes.

• Biodegradable options: While you'll usually pay more, you can find paper plates made from recycled materials. This can provide a sustainable option that has less of a negative impact on the environment.

• Microwavable: While you can find microwave-safe plates made of other materials, this feature, along with the other benefits of paper plates, can make them the most appealing option for use during employee lunches and parties.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'm struggling a bit to come up with a great analogy, but this feels a bit the same to me as it would to find an article on Nike's website comparing Air Jordans to a pair of bespoke leather shoes.
Nice. How about comparing a snowboard to wooden skis? A rollerball to a quill? A fireback and andirons to a modern HVAC? The list goes on and on. A Dorco to a Feather!

If you had your fortune sunk into the paper plate business, you'd try to make the same comparison to those nasty china plates your mom used.

Advantages of Paper Plates​

Some advantages that can make using paper plates an attractive option for your business include:
  • Convenience: Compared to reusable plates that you have to wash and dry after each use, paper plates can save you time and hassle in your office. You can simply toss your used paper plate in the trash and return to work.

• Safety: Unlike glass and ceramic plates that you can drop and break, paper plates are much safer. You won't have to worry about yourself or anybody else getting cut from sharp remnants due to a fallen plate.

• Hygiene: Since they're designed for one-time use, paper plates come with the benefit of hygiene. When only one person touches and eats off the plate, there's less of a chance for bacteria to grow or sickness to spread.

• Ease of transport: Since paper plates are thin and compact, you can easily transport a large stack around the office or to business events. Reusable plates made of other materials like ceramic can weigh much more and come with a risk of damage during transit. You'll also need much less space to store the paper plates and can simply carry them easily in a bag or box when needed.

• Cost (in cases of light use): If you only use plates occasionally in the office for meals, you can find paper plates a more affordable option than buying more expensive dinnerware. You can also save money since you won't need to use water to wash the plates or have an employee use their time to wash dishes.

• Biodegradable options: While you'll usually pay more, you can find paper plates made from recycled materials. This can provide a sustainable option that has less of a negative impact on the environment.

• Microwavable: While you can find microwave-safe plates made of other materials, this feature, along with the other benefits of paper plates, can make them the most appealing option for use during employee lunches and parties.
I'm now sold on paper plates! 😁

it's marketing. they need content on their site to show they are still working, they can advertise their products and chisel in further the brand name. the word "Gilette" shows up 9 times on that page, also at least two other products you can buy right there and several "related" articles.
as you can not give any feedback there, what they say is gospel for the visitor, they say they revolutionized shaving and that's it. No argument. They need a sale, they need a sale that hooks you up with the consumables and that's it.

The marketing department can report high achievement on their online presence, the money spent on the site is justified.

btw, they have a similar article about wetshaving vs. dryshaving and in their context the wetshaving is carts.

This is just backing up their instore marketing spending, enhanced presence in planograms, grabbing customers attention. Do they compete with straight razors? No, they don't. But with clever marketing, they can make up a previously nonexistent question and provide an immediate answer to it, ant their answer is carts.

What would you prefer to purchase, a SR which will cut you to pieces, makes you bleed to death on you very bathroom floor in front of your loved ones or our safe and convenient Girette Fulsiom with plenty of blades what would make you look like James Bond and helps you seduce Luisette, your heavy chested, blond and single neighbour? (nudge-nudge, wink-wink)

btw, they have a similar article about wetshaving vs. dryshaving and in their context the wetshaving is carts.
Looks like maybe they opted against trying to compare their cartridges with single blade safety razors (DE or SE). Somehow I think it could be harder to spin that in their favour (not to say it couldn't be done, but the message would likely feel uncomfortably disingenuous -- a bit like this chart).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looks like maybe they opted against trying to compare their cartridges with single blade safety razors (DE or SE). Somehow I think it could be harder to spin that in their favour (not to say it couldn't be done, but the message would likely feel uncomfortably disingenuous -- a bit like this chart).
I'm not at all getting what they mean by "aspiration" on that chart.
It's either a strong desire, which doesn't make sense, or inhaling a foreign substance, which also doesn't make sense.

Well, I guess I better trade in my straight razors. Gillette says carts are better.

Besides, who wouldn't want to constantly buy replacement heads and throw all the plastic from the heads and packaging in the landfill. Silly me!

Under Gillette's graph, shaving by sticking your head into the garbage disposer is better than doing it with a DE razor.

Affordability: DE Razor: 5 Disposal: 5 (you already own it)
Safety: DE Razor: 1 Disposal 1 (I guess they deserve the same score)
Ease to Use: DE Razor: 1 Disposal 5 (just stick your head in there)
Shaving Quality: DE Razor: 2 Disposal 1 (disposal loses this one, but not by much)
Water Consumption: DE Razor 4 Disposal 5 (no need to run the water, it won't make any difference)
Aspiration: DE Razor 1 Disposal 1 (No one aspires to stick their head into the disposal, but apparently that's no worse than shaving with a DE)

So sticking your head in a disposal is clearly better.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I stumbled on this 'article' on Gillette's US website titled "Is A Straight Razor Right For You?". It was a predictably informative read, concluding with: "Considering switching to a straight razor? We’ll help you make the right choice", followed by a table comparing and contrasting their
'ProGlide Shield™ lubrication and FlexBall™ technology' with straight razor shaving.

I found it amusing if nothing else, but sort of begs the question: why does Gillette feel compelled to include something like this on their website at all? SR shaving couldn't possibly be seen as a significant threat to their market share.

Any thoughts?
When or if they ever do consider straight razors an actual threat, they will produce a disposable straight razor. Straight razors are a very small niche and I suspect many who attempt it quit before they become proficient. It takes considerable time and effort to learn and not that many will make that sacrifice.

I'd imagine the main aim is Search Engine Optimization or, more likely, Search Engine Interference. Redirecting the folks googling "should I shave with a straight razor" to their site and upping their traffic a bit. Will it do much for their bottom line? Doubt it but the digital marketing folks have to get paid, too...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They will say and do anything to sell their products is probably the answer. And today’s world of alternative facts you just have to say a cart is the same as a SR. Go ahead prove it wrong. 😂🙄🥂
This is probably the smartest thing I've read all week.

And that's sad!

I OBVIOUSLY need to pick up my Bible more. Sorry @Rhody.

we all know the truth, we all know a cartridge is just that, and it will never a DE and or as good as a straight when properly used........why even get bothered by Gillette's wild claims........they are in business to sell.

This topic comes up all the time. It's ridiculous. You realise the people who first bought into carts and aerosol foam used to exclusively shave with DE's and SE's right? I'm the only person I know who has ever complained of carts and foam not working well enough. 99% do not care at all and get perfectly acceptable BBS irritation free shaves with a cart head that they use for months on end. I agree with the general sentiment that carts and foam are inferior but many would argue the opposite because they get good results with carts and foam. Stop pretending like marketing is all it takes to brainwash people. Many older gents who shaved with DE's and SE's in their youth actively prefer carts.

Top Bottom