What's new

Gillette compares disposable cartridges to a straight razor on their website.

I stumbled on this 'article' on Gillette's US website titled "Is A Straight Razor Right For You?". It was a predictably informative read, concluding with: "Considering switching to a straight razor? We’ll help you make the right choice", followed by a table comparing and contrasting their
'ProGlide Shield™ lubrication and FlexBall™ technology' with straight razor shaving.

I found it amusing if nothing else, but sort of begs the question: why does Gillette feel compelled to include something like this on their website at all? SR shaving couldn't possibly be seen as a significant threat to their market share.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, there's some fear there. Interesting. "We'll help you make the right choice" was right under the subhead "Don't Live In The Past." Kind of gave away the game.

SR shaving isn't large enough to be much of a threat, but the easiest time to kill off a trend is before it gets rolling.

If I wrote a page like that, to try to keep people from straight razor shaving, it would read "Do you really want to drive up the price of vintage razors? Don't live in cruelty." and, like Gillette's page, it would convince no one.

Id agree that they are seeing a rise in traditional wet shaving and want to squash what they can.
If I were them, I would have noted that the biggest joke in wet shaving is all the money you will save vs buying carts and using shave gel. Once it becomes a hobby and you have a brush and razor for every day of the week, plus enough soap, cream and aftershave to last you 20 years; the notion of money savings is out the window.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm struggling a bit to come up with a great analogy, but this feels a bit the same to me as it would to find an article on Nike's website comparing Air Jordans to a pair of bespoke leather shoes.

I stumbled on this 'article' on Gillette's US website titled "Is A Straight Razor Right For You?". It was a predictably informative read, concluding with: "Considering switching to a straight razor? We’ll help you make the right choice", followed by a table comparing and contrasting their
'ProGlide Shield™ lubrication and FlexBall™ technology' with straight razor shaving.

I found it amusing if nothing else, but sort of begs the question: why does Gillette feel compelled to include something like this on their website at all? SR shaving couldn't possibly be seen as a significant threat to their market share.
Because Gillette is in the business of selling cartridge razors and cartridges.

Id agree that they are seeing a rise in traditional wet shaving and want to squash what they can.
If I were them, I would have noted that the biggest joke in wet shaving is all the money you will save vs buying carts and using shave gel. Once it becomes a hobby and you have a brush and razor for every day of the week, plus enough soap, cream and aftershave to last you 20 years; the notion of money savings is out the window.

There must be plenty of people doing wet shaving in a more casual way. They just wouldn't turn up here.

I wear a watch, but I don't hang around watch forums and talk about my very ordinary Seiko.

There must be plenty of people doing wet shaving in a more casual way. They just wouldn't turn up here.

I wear a watch, but I don't hang around watch forums and talk about my very ordinary Seiko.
I'm sure there's plenty of B&B members who do it too.
I mean, until this past week, I hadn't bought any shaving gear in like 2 years.
Even still, if you really want to just shave on the cheap, traditional wet shaving isn't really the way.
An electric razor is still the cheapest.

It is a bit strange since they demothballed the double edge safety razor as an edger for bearded people.

But there is a retro manly being pc green vibe going on.
Let’s face it a straight will be considered more manly as a cart anyhow. And very green no disposables impossible to challenge that marketing wise. 😁 And some razor sellers already ride that bandwagon all metal fully recyclable.

The day someone makes a full metal pivot small head injector with some adjustability and longevity to the right (female) influencer they might bring p&g into trouble. It is a matter of time.

Regarding blade life… when I last shaved with carts it was 2 Max 3 weeks.
De in a de I tend to change once a week sometimes two weeks. Depends a bit on razor and even prep.
Half de in a Broman lasts longer and a Kai even a month.
Ac around 10 days in my occam.
Oneblade with a feather fhs 2days.
Oneblade with a gem 10 days.

Hmmm maybe try that crazy magnet trick to extend blade life…. Or put the blade under a pyramid in the moonlight.

I wouldn't expect anything else from Gillette. Every time I look at this chart, I laugh like this guy.

gillete-facts_032414031321.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Gillette & their parent company P&G stink. Outside of some Gillette DE blades I love I try avoid buying any of their products unless I have no choice.

Reactions: Anu
Gillette says, "One Gillette blade equals about one month of shaves." Is this true? I used to change cartridges every week. Not knocking the Gillette system, but a MONTH?
Gillette claim;" With one Fusion5 cartridge, you can shave comfortably up to 20 times." They also assume the daily shave is not typical and generally estimate on 4 shaves a week. That is their marketing strategy.

Reactions: Anu
Gillette says, "One Gillette blade equals about one month of shaves." Is this true? I used to change cartridges every week. Not knocking the Gillette system, but a MONTH?
I was never able to get more than 7-10 shaves out of any cart. I suppose it could be true if you only shave once every 3-4 days.

Interestingly enough, for my dad it's definitely true. 1 month of daily shaves. Now, he also uses a soap/cream and brush, but cartridges give him the best, easiest shaves, so he enjoys using them. I think after 2 weeks those shaves aren't super comfortable, but he never complains about it. Usually after some 25-30 shaves there's very noticeable deterioration so then he discards the cartridge.

Top Bottom