What's new

Truth: Outside of DE razors...The humble disposable razor is the best.

I found the 2 blade razor (I use Gillette Blue II) to be the best

Does anyone disagree?

Hello! Very informative analysis. That's exciting you've found something working so well for you 😃 Super interesting how with all these different systems, it's inevitable there is something for everyone.

Currently, I'm transitioning to DE/SE (and maybe upcoming SR) shaving. However, I will always keep a supply of the Gillettes on hand! I have to agree, that model of Gillette disposable performs very impressively, for my skin/hair type.

I've not tried it, but the half-DE razor Maxwell June “Twin Blade Razor” looks very similar to the Gillette disposable/Trac II/that style. The half-DE razors Shavent available in Europe and the Leaf “The Leaf Razor" (also not tried either of these) look more similar to different designs of cartridge razors than to these (maybe more similar to the ProGlide style? I'm not a cartridge expert though).

Where do these disposable-like and cartridge-like models rank in your assessments?

Best shaves your way (with whichever is best for you)!

Gillette Fusion or Dollar Tree disposable with Gillette foam = an outstanding inspection ready shave every time. I can also get the same shave from my freebie cast steel DE with a Gillette yellow blade in the same amount of time. Shaving isn’t that complicated unless you’re using a piece of knapped flint and cactus sap. Shaving should be like putting on a pair of loafers; comfy and uncomplicated. Happy shaves no matter what you choose.

So I have to add to the thread. I ended up splurging money and going with 5 blade razor. Frankly, and as I said in OP, it is the best, just not for the money (disposable is the best for money it's unbeatable, apart of course from DE razor).

But yeah, I just think if you don't give a F about money, go 5 blades all the way.
I also try the legendary Mach 3, but is it just me or they just don't make them like they used to?
I bought the classic Mach 3 and it seems like a lightweight piece of plastic junk. In my imagination I remembered the Mach 3 being more solid and being made of metal.

But yeah, a 5 blade saves lots of trouble. You just have to factor in the cost per month/year which is big. You just have to accept the expense and live with it.

So I have to add to the thread. I ended up splurging money and going with 5 blade razor. Frankly, and as I said in OP, it is the best, just not for the money (disposable is the best for money it's unbeatable, apart of course from DE razor).

But yeah, I just think if you don't give a F about money, go 5 blades all the way.
I also try the legendary Mach 3, but is it just me or they just don't make them like they used to?
I bought the classic Mach 3 and it seems like a lightweight piece of plastic junk. In my imagination I remembered the Mach 3 being more solid and being made of metal.

But yeah, a 5 blade saves lots of trouble. You just have to factor in the cost per month/year which is big. You just have to accept the expense and live with it.
Really not that expensive, I can buy a bulk pack 12 heads at Target for $38.99 without coupons. A head usually lasted 2 weeks shaving everyday, they lasted roughly 168 days per pack and cost about $0.23 cents for a great quick shave…pocket change compared to having an adult beverage after hours or stopping for Starbucks coffee once a week.

Reactions: CCS

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've recently gone back to using disposables because of an arm injury. I have to admit, they do work surprisingly well. I personally dont like 5 blades and have settled on 3 blades. I've also decided the Mach 3 disposable is the best for me. I believe Gillette has changed the blade angle from what it use to be. They feel shallower to me and I find them particularly smooth. It's pretty easy to feel the difference when you compare a Mach 3 disposable to a Bic, or a Schick for that matter.

My old Mach 3 handle is steel. Its also from the 1990's and I have no idea what the new ones are like. The disposables are light plastic but they do have a comfortable handle.

When it comes to comparing the Mach 3 to my Grande or MMOC in a typical 3 pass shave, my shaves take about the same length of time but the Mach 3 doesnt cut as closely. I can have a BBS shave with one but it lasts ~6 hours, at best. Using my Grande or MMOC, that BBS is 12 hours or longer.

When it comes to a fast shave though, theres no comparison. I cannot shave first pass ATG with a Mach 3. I can however with my Grande or MMOC, or several other razors.

Cost wise, they cant touch my Grande and a Polsilver across 5 weeks and 20 shaves for a penny but, the Mach 3 disposable does last me a very long time. Long enough that the cost of them, 3 for $11.99 I think, doesnt concern me.

Sometimes I use a Bic or Gillette Guard single blade or some other generic double blade disposable.

Surely the job is done, despite total lack of fun in proccess. If it was only about cutting face hair, could live with disposable. Maybe canned lather too.

Indian Gillette Guard single blade is an amazing product, must say.

Took a Bic Metal with me traveling back about a month ago, and while not my first choice it was an acceptable shave for what it was, but had I not developed good technique from using DEs (and especially lightweight Bakelite DEs), it probably would have been bloodier.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
With my Gillette adjustable Fatboy or Slim set to 1, I can zip that razor all over my face in any direction and will not cut myself. (I prefer the Fatboy.) Geofatboy made a video in which he shaved in less three minutes.

Yep, I remember seeing that video, it was like the army shave. Folks in the military get 5 minutes to shave, and another 5 minutes to shower. Everything has to be quick quick quick, nobody gonna wait on you lol. So, I thought it was cool GeoFatBoy showing off his skills with a DE razor. I can tell you right now, I am nowhere even close to that skill! But then again, you shouldn't be going mach 1 speeds with either a Rex Ambassador or a Merkur Futur, not unless you want to have fun creating weepers, bring floods of crimson rivers.

So I don't use DE razors (mainly because I find them to be a pain in the **** as you need to shave more slowly & carefully).
So I use cartridge razors. Tried a bunch of razors, always looking at price/quality of shave ratio.

Does anyone disagree?
You want a fast shave? Let WilliPeter show you the way...bring skills and a set brass b%$#s!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You want a fast shave? Let WilliPeter show you the way...bring skills and a set brass b%$#s!

Two thing's I've noticed. 1rst, once he gets to shaving, everybody leaves the kitchen. 2nd, yes he technically shaved in less then 5 minutes, but did you see the solid nick he gave himself? Points have been deducted! GeoFatBoy is the only person I've seen on Youtube so far, who did a military shave, without nicking himself, or causing weepers.

Two thing's I've noticed. 1rst, once he gets to shaving, everybody leaves the kitchen. 2nd, yes he technically shaved in less then 5 minutes, but did you see the solid nick he gave himself? Points have been deducted! GeoFatBoy is the only person I've seen on Youtube so far, who did a military shave, without nicking himself, or causing weepers.
There are other WilliPeter videos where he does not cut himself. On another thread/forum he defended himself saying that this cut was a pimple or some kind of growth. Either way, WilliPeter is a tenth degree black belt shaver. Try two passes under five minutes, even ten minutes. I have, I even created a thread...

Sorry for hijacking the thread...back to disposables.

Last edited:
Yep, I remember seeing that video, it was like the army shave. Folks in the military get 5 minutes to shave, and another 5 minutes to shower. Everything has to be quick quick quick, nobody gonna wait on you lol. So, I thought it was cool GeoFatBoy showing off his skills with a DE razor. I can tell you right now, I am nowhere even close to that skill! But then again, you shouldn't be going mach 1 speeds with either a Rex Ambassador or a Merkur Futur, not unless you want to have fun creating weepers, bring floods of crimson rivers.
I'm not sure where you got your info on the "Army shave" mate, but having myself spent years in an Airborne Infantry unit back in the 80s, that's not the reality. Maybe in other countries military but in the US Army it was more like:
First Call 0500 wake up
First Formation 0530 PT (time to run!)
Then maybe chow at 0630 and 2nd Formation at 0700. You only had to be in BDU and clean shaven for 2nd Formation so really no time limit on shaving although there were only so many sinks in the latrine so you didn't want to be a lollygagger. Granted that was years ago but considering our new woke Army where everyone gets a beret (don't want any feelings hurt), I seriously doubt if things are much different.

Anyway, I bowl lather and do a 2-pass DE shave everyday before work in less than 5 minutes. It's not that hard with a familiar razor but I relax and take much more time on my days off.

As for cartridge razors, I use a twin blade sensor to trim around behind me ears after a head shave but that's about it. To each their own.

cheers

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I'm not sure where you got your info on the "Army shave" mate, but having myself spent years in an Airborne Infantry unit back in the 80s, that's not the reality. Maybe in other countries military but in the US Army it was more like:
First Call 0500 wake up
First Formation 0530 PT (time to run!)
Then maybe chow at 0630 and 2nd Formation at 0700. You only had to be in BDU and clean shaven for 2nd Formation so really no time limit on shaving although there were only so many sinks in the latrine so you didn't want to be a lollygagger. Granted that was years ago but considering our new woke Army where everyone gets a beret (don't want any feelings hurt), I seriously doubt if things are much different.

Anyway, I bowl lather and do a 2-pass DE shave everyday before work in less than 5 minutes. It's not that hard with a familiar razor but I relax and take much more time on my days off.

As for cartridge razors, I use a twin blade sensor to trim around behind me ears after a head shave but that's about it. To each their own.

cheers

I get my information from reading other posts on B&B where people say they are either still in the military, or have served in the military, and talk about the fact they do 5 minute shaves.

Cheers

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A interesting test for myself one day after shaving with DE & SE razors for about a year and took out my Gillette fusion razor and had a shave with it. My Gillette fusion with pivoting head was a nice razor when it first came out and got good shaves with it I thought but during the shave It felt a bit tuggy and after the shave it was slightly irritated. Then you realize all those 5 blades snipping whiskers all at once does pull the skin around also. The shave was good but not as comfortable as my DE or SE razors was my conclusion. I used cartridge razors for over 35 years and didn't try other shaving methods and DE shaving never even really entered my mind until I retired and found it is still used around the world to this day. Out of a population of 8 billion people there are millions of folks using double edge razors still because there are factories around the world making millions of blades per factory yearly to even exist paying staff and overhead costs.
I prefer the DE or SE razors and once you get your technique dialed in it is a easy shave to accomplish!

Last edited:
I get my information from reading other posts on B&B where people say they are either still in the military, or have served in the military, and talk about the fact they do 5 minute shaves.

Cheers
Well I'll admit times may have changed.
The only time limits I recall were during basic. Perhaps someone currently active duty Army will chime in and educate us. I do like to stay teachable.

Top Bottom