What's new

Truth: Outside of DE razors...The humble disposable razor is the best.

I’ve never tried it, but have heard others say a single XTG pass works better for them than a single WTG pass when they’re in a hurry. My routine is so ingrained that I’d spend more time thinking about not going WTG than going XTG that it wouldn’t save me any time

Most days from monday to friday I am in a hurry so only can spend 2 minutes. Double edge shaving with 1 single pass, always DFS no nicks or cuts.
If you shaved everything lathered up in your profile picture, two minutes is great! It would take me that long just to lather up! 😛😬

• Haha
Reactions: edw
Disposables for me are the worst choice. Tugging, possible nicks if I’m in hurry and not a close shave. Now I don’t even talk about eco-unfriendliness of plastic waste. If I’m in hurry I use Muhle R89, it’s as fast as Mach3 or Fusion 5 blade razors. It took me about 3 months to get there without need alum block after quick 2-pass (WTG,XTG) shave to CCS TO DFS closeness. But if it works for someone then good for them. But to me since discovered DE shaving there is no need to go back to any sort of carts.

A few points...

I can understand the OP a lot better seeing as he is in the FFL. I too chose to use cheap disposables at times in the military. I used a DE plenty too, but after the handle of one broke while in my rucksack in the field one time I just started carrying disposables. Also, like jobs in the real world, there are a wide array of experiences in the military. Some service members rarely, or even never, "rough it" in the field. Some do it A LOT! When I was in garrison, I had time to shave with a DE. I also had time in the field, but after breaking razor handles throwing my ruck around I gave up DE shaving in the field.

Which goes to my next point. When I shaved daily with a DE I could shave in about 5 minutes. Maybe a little longer, but only by a minute or two. This was a hybrid 1 and a half pass shave where I would shave a section WTG, then go over it XTG using the lather on the razor head. Got many a DFS with this method. Quite a few of them in the field.

I completely agree with the Mach 3 and fusion carts. Decent shaves, but quite expensive. I disagree that I have ever had what I would call a good shave from a disposable. Sure, I haven't tried every one... but I've tried tons of them. I either baby my face and the shave isn't close, or I shave close and have ingrown hairs.

I’ve never tried it, but have heard others say a single XTG pass works better for them than a single WTG pass when they’re in a hurry. My routine is so ingrained that I’d spend more time thinking about not going WTG than going XTG that it wouldn’t save me any time
Okay, so I'm replying to my own post, so I got that going for me. Well, today the opportunity presented itself to do a single XTG pass--after lathering for (intended) pass 1, I went to rinse some excess lather off of the brush handle and I dropped the slippery brush into the sink, and (because it's a reknotted synthetic w/weighted handle) the brush went straight to the bottom of the sink. Nearly all of the lather/soap load was gone and what was there was watered down and I didn't want/have time to start over so I went with a single XTG pass. I first chose a Superspeed with a vintage Wilkie (on it's 8th shave), but it wasn't cutting so I binned it and grabbed an Ever Ready lather catcher with a GEM PTFE (1) and went to it. I could have benefitted from a little heavier razor (the ER Lather Catchers are lighter than a bakelite razor). But despite the choice of equipment, running late and being completely out of synch, I'd have to say that the results were easily in the DFS category.

With my Gillette adjustable Fatboy or Slim set to 1, I can zip that razor all over my face in any direction and will not cut myself. (I prefer the Fatboy.) Geofatboy made a video in which he shaved in less three minutes.

We are all different: with an adjustable set at #1 I can get a partial shave quickly.....but it does NOT fulfill it's purpose of leaving my face with a shaved look. Truth be told: #1= I rather go in with stubble.... . On the contrary: a quick Atra or the Gillette 1 blade Indian throw away will give me a passable shave with one pass.....

Aren't we all different....

So I don't use DE razors (mainly because I find them to be a pain in the **** as you need to shave more slowly & carefully).
So I use cartridge razors. Tried a bunch of razors, always looking at price/quality of shave ratio.

Here is what I concluded:
  • Gillette fusion proglide (or power) is best shave possible. However it's ridiculously expensive.
  • So what else? The humble disposable is the best. But further, I found the 2 blade razor (I use Gillette Blue II) to be the best.
1 blade disposable I found to be not cutting fast or well enough (often misses hair).
3 blade disposable and over (4-5 blades) I found to be not as good and not worth it price wise.
Also tried the classic Gillette Mach 3 and found it inferior to the humble disposable Blue II and it's nearly as expensive as the Gillette Fusion.

The thing with Gillette Blue II is their blades are ridiculously sharp when new and cut the beard perfectly.
Now it's the same with any other Gillette or razor, but you don't want to replace a Gillette Fusion or Mach 3 cartridge as fast because they're so expensive. But you can with a Gillette Blue II which comes in a huge pack of cheap disposables.

Another thing I found problematic with most 3-5 blade razors (except Fusion proglide) compared to the humble disposable 2 blade, is that the 3-5 blade razors don't adapt to the contours of your face as well, and are especially bad on the chin and other such areas.

Basically, I really find a solid 2 blade disposable to be the freaking best bang for your buck in terms of razor! I like the Gillette Blue II (as its called in the EU), but I guess any other 2 blade disposable is OK (like BIC though I found BICs to be less good than Gillette).

I think the only razor which beats this is the Gillette Fusion Proglide or Power, which pretty much a fresh cartridge every week, which is freaking expensive.

Does anyone disagree?
Ridiculously expensive and extremely harsh on the face. Cut throats ans shavettes all the way for me.

I don't mind if it takes longer as it feels so good!

For disposables, I mostly use a BIC Sensitive or BIC Metal, but sometimes, I’ll use a Gillette Good News. I prefer using a DE or SE, but I’ll occasionally use one of those.

I truly believe that for MOST PEOPLE a disposable razor is the best option. Just get what is available at drugstore, remove facial hair and go live their lives.

Only a few like us really WANT to dive into "traditional shaving" sea.

Reactions: CCS
Most of us came from disposables and moved on to DE's. It's not a pain, it just takes practice. I hated shaving till I discovered DE's. Now I look forward to it everyday and it's like therapy.
With practice the DE will give you a better shave and you'll do it just as quick. And the "humble cartridge" will no longer be a money hog since they're way more expensive. Another negative with cartridges is that they fill up landfills. I will never return to cartridges or electrics for that matter.
I heard that! I really don't care much about the landfills, it is my wallet that doesn't care for the strain! DE shaving is far superior and making time for it is what makes "me" time more than worth it.

In the end, DE blades "return to the earth" as we all will. It seems to come out as it should, right?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Nobody mentioned the orange-yellow BIC disposable yet. BIC does not only make great pens that cost next to nothing.

Edit: I will now go to the bathroom to pat my stainless steel monsters. 😎

I started shaving in the mid-60's at a time my folks were just divorced so no one taught me how to shave. I saw my stepfather shaving but I didn't really know how to do it. I recall he used canned foam and whatever Gillette (probably) was popular then. I had a couple of friends who said I should get a brush and soap and make lather so I did (it was sort of a thing). This goes back over 50 years and I don't remember products or details much. I'm guessing I went to the local Thrifty and got a mug, a cheap brush, and, probably, a puck of Williams (or it could have been a puck of Old Spice in their mug). Bottom line, early shaving for me was very much trial and error. I'm pretty sure my razor was a SuperSpeed because it was TTO and I loaded blades from packages by sliding them onto the little hooked center bar. I know a later had a Shick Injector but don't recall whether I liked it or not.

Fast forward to the era of the original Trac II. Saw the commercials on TV and was sold! I used those for some time. I also tried Remington ("I liked the shave so much, I bought the company!") and Norelco. At some point, probably my mid-20's, I went back to DE shaving. It may have been when I was training to be a deputy sheriff but I honestly don't remember. I met my wife in college later and she recalls that's how I shaved then.

Point of the story - fast forward to 10-15 years ago and I saw twin bladed disposables from off brand makers for cheap at the grocery store. With my OCD/BBS obsession, those struck me as the perfect stray whisker razors (although I used a Norelco then for small are touchups if needed). But for little indie strays that I catch from my constant "faceturbation" (when alone, of course), nothing beats one of those off-brand cheap disposables to catch that stray whisker or three. I would not enjoy actually shaving with them or even original Trac IIs any longer as I'm (and I'm not trying to sound cocky or arrogant) an excellent wet shaver, excellent shaver (apologies to Rain Man) with all the years of experience I've had and the trials and tribulations to get a near perfect shave on a daily basis. But I can see for a lot of guys who are starting out, if your going to use carts, the original Trac II is likely your best choice. At least those carts are cheaper than the 3-5 blade monstrosities. Hard to justify disposables, even the original Gillette versions though for a daily shave. At least that's my thinking.

Kids these days all say they are concerned about the planet yet half the things they buy are plastic, and the other half are electronic devices that they use every waking second and consume energy constantly, with batteries made of toxic minerals.

Compare the carbon footprint of a current teenager with us when we were kids, when all we had was a TV and a football. The kids blame older generations for the state of the environment and don’t seem to have a clue that their lifestyles are the cause.

Off-topic rant over. Couldn’t resist. But I kinda like it that I’m at the age when I can start sentences with “kids these days…”
A-freaking-men! Preach it, brother. The guy you were responding to was absolutely clueless. I might go through 4-5 disposables a year based on my use for them to catch stray whiskers. I make up for it by peeing out on the property in order to not flush the toilet... I live on acreage in a rural area. :D

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Your statement is implying that someone who's totally stopped using plastic is the one that takes the trophy. We all use stuff that's bad for the planet no matter how hard we try to stop.
It's not as easy as it sounds! But if you eliminate at least one thing (in this case cartridges), you're at least doing something positive for the planet. Every little change helps!
Just my humble opinion!
And your avatar is a twin-engine private turbo? ;) I think we're best if we keep the virtue signaling to ourselves. :001_unsur

And your avatar is a twin-engine private turbo? ;) I think we're best if we keep the virtue signaling to ourselves. :001_unsur
I don't own one, I'm a Pilot and fly for a living. That's my career and livelihood.
Go back and read the part I said:
"But if you eliminate at least one thing (in this case cartridges), you're at least doing something positive for the planet. Every little change helps!"

Notice it says: "at least one thing"
That's far from virtue signaling!

And I'll also add that you need to read post #30 that shows why I responded with the whole statement:

Really not that expensive, I can buy a bulk pack 12 heads at Target for $38.99 without coupons. A head usually lasted 2 weeks shaving everyday, they lasted roughly 168 days per pack and cost about $0.23 cents for a great quick shave…pocket change compared to having an adult beverage after hours or stopping for Starbucks coffee once a week.
I like people who can do the math. While I don't use carts any longer save for the disposables for touchup, it's mostly because I do well with DE razors and prefer that method.

Nobody mentioned the orange-yellow BIC disposable yet. BIC does not only make great pens that cost next to nothing.

Edit: I will now go to the bathroom to pat my stainless steel monsters. 😎
I used those single blade ones for awhile but didn't like them nearly as well as the even less expensive off-brand twin blade disposables.

Top Bottom