What's new

Gillette SuperSpeed 1948-9. First Shave And Impressions By A 'Newbie'

Great thread! 🍺
I, too, have fallen under the spell of the 1940's Gillette Super Speed design and aesthetic.
To me, it's such a great little whisker removal machine; beautifully crafted out of materials that obviously stand the test of time. Nickel plating over stamped brass worked then and it still holds up.
I'm a recent convert to the Vintage Club. I now have three, a 1952 Super Speed (X3), a 1953 Super Speed (Y2) and an A3 1955 Super Speed Blue Tip. All have historical significance to me but, much more importantly, they all work beautifully. I really treasure them but use them regularly nonetheless. Granted, I pamper my tools but all three came to me in amazingly good shape for razors that are 68, 70 and 71 years old.
I'm lucky enough to have some great modern DE safety razors like a Game Changer and a Rockwell 6C
But truth be told, if I could only have one razor, I'd pick one of my Super Speeds.

proxy.php

Yep. I've seen lots of Gillette razors incorrectly described on Ebay as a "Tech". Most of the time it's the seller just not knowing, though sometimes I suspect that these are razors from estate sales that are in the wrong boxes which misleads an uninformed seller.
I definitely can see it. Ill have to pick one up for sure for comparison sake atleast thats what ill tell the wife😂

Yep. I've seen lots of Gillette razors incorrectly described on Ebay as a "Tech". Most of the time it's the seller just not knowing, though sometimes I suspect that these are razors from estate sales that are in the wrong boxes which misleads an uninformed seller.

You are correct about E-bay seller with wrong info, most frequent good is a Slim Adjustable listed as Fatboy.

Many seller imho do poor job on photos, many purposely do not show areas with bad damage, or pitting.

They only show the shine areas. I call it fishing, seek to hook under educated buyers.

If you using an Old Vintage Gillette, and getting results your happy with do you need a SUPER RAZOR?

Maybe I am thinking wrong but before there were the New Hyped Razor people were getting great shaves eith Vintage Gillette’s.

Want more out of your Vintage? Go to better Blade.

JMHO
What exactly is a “SUPER RAZOR” and a “New Hyped Razor”?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@HoosierTrooper , I think @DesertIguana means razors made within this century that are either designed to have copious blade exposure and a large distance between the edge of the blade and comb or safety bar or are simply the latest, greatest gimmick in DE razor shaving. Occasionally zamack, but usually steel, titanium, or bronze and priced like a pristine Audi A8.

@HoosierTrooper , I think @DesertIguana means razors made within this century that are either designed to have copious blade exposure and a large distance between the edge of the blade and comb or safety bar or are simply the latest, greatest gimmick in DE razor shaving. Occasionally zamack, but usually steel, titanium, or bronze and priced like a pristine Audi A8.

Wrong you can not read my mind, but HYPE is what Ad Agencies do to sell products, Pitchmen use to do it in old 5 & 10 Stores, with live demo to impress shoppe, into buy products.

Hmmm. In that case wouldn’t the Super-Speed and basically all vintage razors have been the SUPER RAZOR or New Hyped Razor of their era?

I love the look and feel of the 40s SS in hand, but had my scariest experience shaving with it of all time. Super smooth shave but also was left feeling like I shaved closer than was safe without even realizing it.

In retrospect I think a lot of it had to do with a reaction to the soap I was using at the time. I wish I kept that razor to try it with other soaps. On the other hand other razors never caused quite that reaction with that soap so maybe it was too close.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
you can not read my mind

No, I can’t. Best I can do is guess totally wrong and have you correct me. Thank you.

wouldn’t the Super-Speed and basically all vintage razors have been the SUPER RAZOR or New Hyped Razor of their era?

You’re at least 100% correct and we rely on the success of past hype to have a readily available supply of razors to help us act like we’re above susceptibility to marketing.

And I need to use my Super Speed soon

Top Bottom