What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint for Lent 2022

I was sorely tempted by Paganini's Violin.

What does "the Dumb Ox" think of it?
I was unsure when I first got it, but after 5 shaves I’m sold. It’s such a unique scent I have a hard time describing it. There’s a very subtle sweet smell to it.

I’m glad I bought the set based on the recommendation of some members here. Plus I’m a big fan of the omnibus base so this will be in my rotation for the foreseeable future.

6/8 J.A. Henckels Zwillingswerk Friodur Inox Round Point
MdC Unscented
Proraso Unscented Balm

Penance: Reciting a Rosay for those who haven't been to Confession in awhile and for all those participating in this exercise together.

*Note: This was the straight that I took all the way back to Bevel set and through an entire JNAT progression up to Koma. Stopped there and ran it through a diamond pasted balsa strop progression, strop. I think that I found the perfect combination yesterday. No more finishing Tomos for me.

Pacem

IMG_20220305_091625454.jpg

Hearken, O Lord, to our supplications; and grant that we may celebrate with devout service this solemn fast, which thou hast instituted for the healing of soul and body.

- Septuagesima Tertia prayer

20220305_103817.jpg

WCS Lantern Badger
RazoRock Irish Countryside
34c w/Shark Super Chrome (5)
Epsilon Blue

• Proraso White Pre
  • Speick Men Rasiercreme, lathered in the ol' Salsa bowl.
  • Vintage Fuller boar
  • '53 Super Speed
  • Lab Blue 5th use
  • Brut and Citrus Musk mixed in hand.
First time doing 100% cold water shave - wow, that went really well.
First time trying Speick. Very nice! Funny, was occasionally getting a faint whiff of, maybe...classic Bactine?!
Now curious what the Speick AS splash (and their "Active" scent) smells like.

1646508018097.png

Have a wonderful weekend!:smile1:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
  • Proraso White Pre
  • Speick Men Rasiercreme, lathered in the ol' Salsa bowl.
  • Vintage Fuller boar
  • '53 Super Speed
  • Lab Blue 5th use
  • Brut and Citrus Musk mixed in hand.
First time doing 100% cold water shave - wow, that went really well.
First time trying Speick. Very nice! Funny, was occasionally getting a faint whiff of, maybe...classic Bactine?!
Now curious what the Speick AS splash (and their "Active" scent) smells like.

View attachment 1419628

Have a wonderful weekend!:smile1:
I found the scent of the original just ok. The active is awesome.

I was unsure when I first got it, but after 5 shaves I’m sold. It’s such a unique scent I have a hard time describing it. There’s a very subtle sweet smell to it.

I’m glad I bought the set based on the recommendation of some members here. Plus I’m a big fan of the omnibus base so this will be in my rotation for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I got a sample from Maggards and I'm trying to figure it out, but it might be REALLY good. I'm hoping some will be left after Easter, but that may be hoping for a bit much. Ah, well.

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Semogue 610 boar brush
The Goodfellas’ Smile Italico razor
Wilkinson Sword razor blade (11)
witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave

Happy first Sunday of Lent. I plan to do some reading. I have lots of great Catholic books that I haven’t read. I want to read at least one during Lent. Later I will work on a rosary I’m making to go on the Saint Dominic statue at a nearby parish. The one that was there went missing.

93753B61-C4B4-480A-9308-8A0A0474DB6A.jpeg

Salve, fratres!

Beautiful high Mass this morning, 5 babies born in our little country parish in the last 2 weeks now, and a wonderful relaxing Sunday with the family. Broke out my absolute favorite set - felt like it was due.

20220306_151831.jpg

ZM The Navigator soap, splash, balm, and EdP
34c w/Shark Super Chrome (6)
Stirling B&W 2 band synthetic

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Semogue 610 boar brush
The Goodfellas’ Smile Italico razor
Wilkinson Sword razor blade (11)
witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave

Happy first Sunday of Lent. I plan to do some reading. I have lots of great Catholic books that I haven’t read. I want to read at least one during Lent. Later I will work on a rosary I’m making to go on the Saint Dominic statue at a nearby parish. The one that was there went missing.

View attachment 1420131
No shave here today (sadly) but wanted to wish you all a Happy Feast of St Thomas Aquinas!

“We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have laboured in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it.” - Aquinas

PS: Dominic - you must already know the Dominican Sister who writes under the name "S.M.C." but if you haven't read "Brother Petroc's Return", I wholeheartedly recommend it. Especially when you need a lighthearted break from more Scholarly works. Along the same vein, also recommend the classic "Mass of Brother Michel" by Michael Kent.

Valete!

No shave here today (sadly) but wanted to wish you all a Happy Feast of St Thomas Aquinas!

“We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have laboured in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it.” - Aquinas

PS: Dominic - you must already know the Dominican Sister who writes under the name "S.M.C." but if you haven't read "Brother Petroc's Return", I wholeheartedly recommend it. Especially when you need a lighthearted break from more Scholarly works. Along the same vein, also recommend the classic "Mass of Brother Michel" by Michael Kent.

Valete!

Beat me to the punch, I came here to wish @Potentia a happy feast day!

How are we all getting on? I was offered some chocolate on Saturday and took great delight in shouting, “no!” Any excuse to bellow at my nearest and dearest. :p
So far so good. I’ve resisted the temptation to try one of the products ordered before Ash Wednesday.

I liked the idea earlier in the thread from Dominic of trying a new tub o’ TOBS after Lent. It’s been a while since I tried a new TOBS and thus far I’ve only owned Sandalwood, Grapefruit, Royal Forest, Lavender and Jermyn St.

So after Lent shall I go for St James, Shaving Shop, Mr Taylor, Eton College, Cedarwood or Tobacco Leaf or all of the above?!?

I have a problem with rotating software and need to content myself with an occasional sample instead of repeated batch buying. I acknowledge that I have been overly attached to this (to me) exciting hobby, and need to do a PIF or two as well.
I’m guilty of buying a bit too much software and should have opted for samples rather than whole tubs or tubes. I am a self confessed fragrance fanatic, which is part of the problem. I already have enough to outlast me.

Top Bottom