What's new

April 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Glad you are enjoying a home-brew, my wife is happy I have given up she was never a fan of the boiling hop smell regardless of where the boil happened.
My missus does not appreciate the smell of the mash. Boil is slightly less disliked. I work nights and she works days so generally I brew in the morning when she is out of the house.
Hopefully you can get back into brewing, I find it a nice creative outlet. Have been slowly tweaking my recipes to lower abv. Would like to get most below 4%

She is a big fan of my Belgian Wit recipe.

Be well
Jay

PXL_20230427_164803005.jpg

Muhle Rocca R95 with Astra SS (2), PDP Bergamot and Thyme and Muhle XL STF brush

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE
Hey Guys
Beto, @Beto Salatini likes to listen to a lot of older traditional jazz. Today my shaving quartet harmonized near perfection.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

View attachment 1645290
Muhle Rocca R95 with Astra SS (2), PDP Bergamot and Thyme and Muhle XL STF brush

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE
Hey Guys
Beto, @Beto Salatini likes to listen to a lot of older traditional jazz. Today my shaving quartet harmonized near perfection.

Splendid photo and a wonderful quartet, my dear friend @tjsgarden .
I dare call it the Fantastic Four!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Still in.
After my good experience yesterday, I returned to the Prewar Fat Handled Tech (I’ve noticed a few of these on the Vintage April thread lately). I had another good shave. Basically two passes on the cheeks and four on the chin neck area. One very slight weeper on my first pass that immediately stop bleeding. Another DFS!

Date28.04.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE118/365 (100%)
GRUME April / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC) / Vintage April
28/30 (100%)

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette AristocratFeather (4+5)Omega Super Badger
SoapPasses
2½:here
3:here
4:here
Pre- & Post-shave
TGS ReNeroWXTG
XWTG
ATG
Cold splash

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Simple shave today - pretty straightforward with very nice results. This is a remarkable razor and could easily be a daily driver. Face and head shave were equally good. I went WTG and ATG on the head this time - DFS to BBS- in terms of results. Very pleased.

Enjoy your shave.

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

PXL_20230428_163904359.jpg

Merkur 34C with Astra SS (3), Noble Otter Logbook and Omega 81054

I have been eyeing this soap in the closet for a while. Today seemed to be the right time to discover it's potential. The scent was fresh, breezy and took me to a beautiful blue ocean beach relaxing in a hammock. It was also extremely slick.
I used Nautica AS to wrap up a DFS in two easy-peasy passes.

04.28.23_Shave_Pic.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
April 2023 GRUME #33 - Still in
Vintage April, 2023 #33

Date: 04.28.23
Days growth: 4

Head shaver

Razor: 1940s Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Treet Platinum (1)
Brush: Vielong black horse hair

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Duke Cannon Gunsmoke on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Tabac soap
Lather bowl fine accoutrements

Passes: 2

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Tabac Original
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 49

NOTES: This was the first time using a Treet blade of any kind. It was decently sharp and smooth but I am not overly impressed. We will see how subsequent shaves are. This was just a real nice near BBS shave that was very comfortable and enjoyable.

Quality: 9.75/10
Comfort: 10/10
Enjoyment: 9.5/10
Overall: 9.75

Still in, a cross post from Vintage April. Looking back at my purchase records (under eBay Purchases) for 2022, I realize how out of control my RAD was getting. GRUME has really slowed that down.

I was going to stick with the Prewar Tech, but decided to compare it to my Gillette New. The New is milder, but slightly more aggressive than the Postwar. It had not been giving me super good shaves lately, but since I had exceptional shaves with the Prewar for the first time I thought it would be worth another try. It gave me an excellent shave today! Two passes on the cheeks, four plus on the chin, 9.6 out of ten.
And a discovery. When I dug the Prewar out of its case a few days ago I found a blade I forgot I had, or at least didn’t realize it’s significance: a New Gillette Blade, date code A 4, a 1930 production! This was the second year the New and the slotted blade was produced, and the first year Gillette dated their blades. (No, I didn’t try shaving with it, although the thought crossed my mind!)
322C8802-7C98-4E21-8C13-48D4294AB590.jpeg

9A85468A-0306-4E77-AE38-CC821C3152C3.jpeg

And a discovery. When I dug the Prewar out of its case a few days ago I found a blade I forgot I had, or at least didn’t realize it’s significance: a New Gillette Blade, date code A 4, a 1930 production! This was the second year the New and the slotted blade was produced, and the first year Gillette dated their blades. (No, I didn’t try shaving with it, although the thought crossed my mind!)

A wise man.:D

Top Bottom