What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint Until End of Lent (GRUEL) 2023

img_1051-jpg.1620597

OneBlade Core w/FHS-10 (second, less great shave) and Nivea Deep cream. Reasonably good, but can never expect more than 2 shaves out of these blades.

Did not get offered a new job that I was very hopeful about, and have been feeling a bit challenged. Applied for unemployment this morning and am having conversations with the publishing house that I’m doing some part time work for to see about ramping up. I have always not been completely comfortable/familiar with the Divine Mercy prayer, but lately, “Jesus, I trust in you” has been a source of great comfort.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I haven’t heard of the Evergetinos before.
There is a priest in Pittsburgh who has weekly online zoom sessions on the Evergetinos (Monday nights) and St John Climacos (Wednesdays). A slow, careful reading and discussion of the texts- sometimes no more than 2-3 paragraphs in an hour. He has been working through patristic spiritual writings like these since 2013. Literally hundreds of these sessions are archived as podcasts on his site. Do an online search for Philokalia Ministries.

Did not get offered a new job that I was very hopeful about, and have been feeling a bit challenged. Applied for unemployment this morning and am having conversations with the publishing house that I’m doing some part time work for to see about ramping up. I have always not been completely comfortable/familiar with the Divine Mercy prayer, but lately, “Jesus, I trust in you” has been a source of great comfort.
Good luck with everything. In times like that, I always think of:
“…For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.” From the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6:25-33.

I also think of the passage from Luke 11:10-13.

There is a priest in Pittsburgh who has weekly online zoom sessions on the Evergetinos (Monday nights) and St John Climacos (Wednesdays). A slow, careful reading and discussion of the texts- sometimes no more than 2-3 paragraphs in an hour. He has been working through patristic spiritual writings like these since 2013. Literally hundreds of these sessions are archived as podcasts on his site. Do an online search for Philokalia Ministries.

Thank you. I’ll have to look it up.

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (8)
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes.

34c w/Gillette Rubie, thorough 3 pass in preparation for another interview. SdR Oasis soap (an absolute tallow favorite) to pair. Delightful!

Chanted High Masses tomorrow and Monday (feast of St. Joseph - a 1st class feast/Solemnity for us)!

Good luck with everything. In times like that, I always think of:
“…For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.” From the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6:25-33.

I also think of the passage from Luke 11:10-13.

Thank you. I’ll have to look it up.

That passage in Matthew has lifted me out of several slumps. It gives perspective and to me teaches humility, on top of reminding me that the most skilled person on earth shouldn't lean on their own understanding but to trust in God. Something I need to improve on daily I'm afraid...

Millard I hope you were turned down for that job because a much better opportunity meant for you is around the corner.

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (10) Last time was 9, not 8.
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes.

Parish had a silent retreat today. First time for me. 8 a.m. mass with silent retreat until 3 p.m. Blessed Sacrament on the altar the whole time. Four short talks based on Brother Lawrence's The Practice of the Presence of God. The priest said he might schedule more silent retreats in the future, because last year and this, it was an annual event, but 110 people signed up, so he thought it might be a good idea to schedule silent retreats twice or more per year.

The basic idea of practicing the presence of God was to stop throughout the day and say a short prayer to God living in your soul; be aware God is in you.

SMALLEST ACTION WITH LOVE CHARM HIS HEART.jpg

I looked it up and bookmarked it. I'll check it out later. Looks very interesting.

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (11)
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes instead of my usual three for Sunday. That's because this blade and/or razor are fairly aggressive. My skin didn't want a third pass.

SMALL TASKS PART OF HARMONY OF UNIVERS.jpg

I haven't checked in in awhile. This morning's shave on this, the Feast Day of my Patron, Saint Joseph.

Very smooth and close two pass shave using MdC Fougere followed by a splash or two of the masculine Myrsol Formula F./Extra.

Jer 17:7-8 - Blessed is the Man who trusts in the Lord ....

May we be like Saint Joseph today. Reveling and exercising our God Given masculinity with all gentleness and in Holy meekness.

St. Joseph, pray for us.

IMG_20230320_093858730.jpg

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (12)
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes. A 9.5/10. The face was smooth, as if I did an ATG pass. The neck was as smooth as I would expect.

Finished off the Proraso pre-shave.

12C34095-AA5D-486F-9C07-243ACF905AFB.jpeg

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (13)
witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes.

We have another solemnity coming up: the Annunciation of the Lord on Saturday. I did the consecration to Jesus through Mary some years back and re-do it very year. It begins the next day.

I can’t believe there are just over two weeks left to Lent.
Indeed. It's been a deep one so far, and I've needed it badly. Really pulling for y'all, hope everyone is doing well, (His) strength through (our) weakness.
Deus, in adiutorium meum intende. Domine, ad adjuvandum me festina.

Afternoon Bic3/canned goo shave...had a weird weeper under the bottom lip that just would not quit, LOL. Had to go styptic pencil before I could leave the house 😆
But overall, 8/10.

Top Bottom