What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint for Lent 2022

Dunno if it's preferred to re-use an old thread found from 2015 or start a new one, but here goes:

2022 Lenten GRUME - Ash Wednesday (March 2nd) though Easter Monday (April 18)*
(*even tho' Lent technically ends on Holy Thursday April 14)

Have failed every non-official attempt at GRUME but am going in hot for Lent. Gonna dig deep and gut it out - this hobby isn't the boss of me!
You know the drill: no new shaving-related Purchases.

Looking forward to this because:
1. frankly, it's gonna be really tough for me LOL.
2. I have several HW and SW items I haven't even enjoyed yet...cuz I keep buying new stuff (also LOL). :facep:

Anyone in? Mutual support will be key!

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_130727502.jpg
    IMG_20220214_130727502.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm in. Financially I've been doing well and the shaving world has benefited from my largesse. With a new puppy in the house (see avatar) I need to focus on fancy harnesses, special treats and some cat toys for the ignored feline (who thankfully doesn't seem to care).

I am in. I have:
98 razor blades in my inventory
3 razors
3 brushes
2 tubs of soap waiting to be used for the first time
1 small amount of Cella green to hopefully last through the FEB GRUME
1 small bottle of Aqua Velva to use up
1 nearly full bottle of Pinaund Clubman A/S
Therefore, I should need to buy any thing else

With 12 days until Ash Wednesday, here's the current Fellowship:

1. 1Pet5_8
2. emwolf
3. silverlifter
4. BobbyB
5. dan86
6. Potentia

This is going to be a very good endeavor. I just used a Shick Krona DE for the first time, which I bought many months ago (enabled of course by B&B), and it was delightful. I'll be able to repeat that "first time" with more HW/SW items from my "inventory", not to mention focus on improving technique :)

This is a really nice idea! Good luck to all.

I'll be able to repeat that "first time" with more HW/SW items from my "inventory", not to mention focus on improving technique :)

I’ll just point out that “trying new items” and “improving technique” don’t often work together. Maybe you can commit to a week with each new thing? I find that helps me to learn how the item behaves; when I know that, then I can focus on technique. :)

This is a really nice idea! Good luck to all.

I’ll just point out that “trying new items” and “improving technique” don’t often work together. Maybe you can commit to a week with each new thing? I find that helps me to learn how the item behaves; when I know that, then I can focus on technique. :)
Thank ya for the kind words, and great points!
Plus, when you fall in love with something, like a vintage "New" SC, it's fun to stick with it for a long while and develop muscle memory, even if perhaps you try a couple different blades at first to find the best system.
My strategy will be for when I'm really jonesing to buy something new, to grab something from the den I haven't tried yet, just to scratch that itch:hand:

1645634238062.png

I just made my final shaving purchase (and it was a doozy) before the restraint. Hold steady Teddy!
I wanna see! I wanna see! 🔎Is it already posted somewhere?

I've been buying fun, inexpensive things like a madman (GEMs, samples, a book, etc.).
But I'm throttling down now to a glide....

I wanna see! I wanna see! 🔎Is it already posted somewhere?

I've been buying fun, inexpensive things like a madman (GEMs, samples, a book, etc.).
But I'm throttling down now to a glide....
Hasn't arrived yet, but pulled the trigger yesterday in the BST.

Dunno if it's preferred to re-use an old thread found from 2015 or start a new one, but here goes:

2022 Lenten GRUME - Ash Wednesday (March 2nd) though Easter Monday (April 18)*
(*even tho' Lent technically ends on Holy Thursday April 14)

Have failed every non-official attempt at GRUME but am going in hot for Lent. Gonna dig deep and gut it out - this hobby isn't the boss of me!
You know the drill: no new shaving-related Purchases.

Looking forward to this because:
1. frankly, it's gonna be really tough for me LOL.
2. I have several HW and SW items I haven't even enjoyed yet...cuz I keep buying new stuff (also LOL). :facep:

Anyone in? Mutual support will be key!
I’m just finishing the February GRUME. It’s been good for me, because I spent a lot (a lot for me anyway) in 2021 and Jan. 2022. It will be good to keep it up for Lent, so thanks for this. Maybe I’ll buy myself an unneeded gift for Easter, TOBS Sandalwood cream. It’s something I’ve wanted to try since I started all this in 2011. Or maybe I’ll just go to Aldi and buy a chocolate bunny. 🐇 Anyway, add me to the list, Gentlemanly Restraint Until End of Lent. It will be GRUELing holding out 40 days. 😂 I’m so funny. 😛

1. 1Pet5_8
2. emwolf
3. silverlifter
4. BobbyB
5. dan86
6. Potentia
7. Dominic

YES! With two days to go, Dominic is in (congrats on a successful Feb GRUME as well)!!!

Gentlemen, you are all an inspiration to me. And 7 is a wonderful number to start :)

1646062437527.png

Hello everyone.

I was brought up with a tradition that you could have or do whatever you were giving up for lent before it so in honour of that I’ve just placed a last order for some new shaving products I don’t really need! :thumbsup:

I’m at a point where I have started giving away things eg one of my 15 tubes of Palmolive Classic shaving cream, which I spotted for sale in a Lloyds chemist the other day for a cheap price: not quite so unobtainable it seems!
I have way too many soaps and creams.

Top Bottom