What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint Until End of Lent (GRUEL) 2023

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (15)
Proraso red aftershave

Two quick passes. Tucked a hand towel into my collar as a bib to do a quick shave before I left the house. 🙂

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (16)
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes on face, three on neck.

WITHOUT LOVE DEEDS DON'T COUNT.jpg

There is a priest in Pittsburgh who has weekly online zoom sessions on the Evergetinos (Monday nights) and St John Climacos (Wednesdays). A slow, careful reading and discussion of the texts- sometimes no more than 2-3 paragraphs in an hour. He has been working through patristic spiritual writings like these since 2013. Literally hundreds of these sessions are archived as podcasts on his site. Do an online search for Philokalia Ministries.

Following up on this topic. I did find the source for these talks and listened to one podcast on Podbean from Philokalia Ministries on the topic of keeping silent during conversations with others.

Being a better listener, not being too talkative and making more of an attempt to reduce verbal clutter and background noise by our words. Thus, opening ourselves up to more clearly hear the Voice and Word of God.

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (17)
Proraso red aftershave

Two passes.

Wake up in here! Unless you're observing a reduction in social media time, of course. Then, by all means, carry on!

Nivea Deep shave gel and aftershave yesterday with the 34c with a Gillette Rubie. This is definitely a keen blade, and I'm not sure I'm doing it justice with my every 3 day shaving schedule at present. No real slices or nicks, but definitely more sensitivity than usual.

Holy Week schola practice is complete, and I am prepared for the somewhat grueling experience of the week ahead alongside Our Lord.

That’s awesome your chanting/singing in the schola.

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (20)
Proraso red aftershave

The soap will not be finished within a week. Soaps last a long time. I don’t know how the 3017 guys can knock out a triple milled hard soap in 3 or 4 months. I can’t even finish a less than half full tub of Proraso in 6 weeks. I used it for Lent last year, too.

I’ll mention here that next month I’ll make my final profession as a Lay Dominican.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For whatever reason I was not getting notified of additions to this thread, so I had a bit of catch up to do.

It has been a challenging Lent for me thus far. I was hospitalized midway through for almost a week, and although I came out the other end, it could very easily have been much worse for me. So I am reflecting even more than usual on eschatology, memento mori, and the like. It has been decades since I last had to do this, and it has been humbling.

In terms of my Lenten fasts, I have stuck to my normal routine: throw 8 at a wall, and keep those that stick. Overall I have done better than I expected. Still not enough.

OneBlade Core w/FHS-10 (second, less great shave) and Nivea Deep cream. Reasonably good, but can never expect more than 2 shaves out of these blades.

Did not get offered a new job that I was very hopeful about, and have been feeling a bit challenged. Applied for unemployment this morning and am having conversations with the publishing house that I’m doing some part time work for to see about ramping up. I have always not been completely comfortable/familiar with the Divine Mercy prayer, but lately, “Jesus, I trust in you” has been a source of great comfort.

@djmillard I have been in that exact same situation, and it's horrible. When I find myself in those circumstances I try to remember, I am the Pfc on D-Day, God is Ike (anagogically, of course). In my own life, I have come to understand, sometimes literally years after a disappointment, that is was actually for the best. Including jobs. So, cling to God, seek understanding, and never give up, for the war is already won.

@Dominic I love the Dominicans myself. The hounds of the Lord! Dominican schooling seems to impact the OP in that they are all really good preachers, at least. B+ is the worst I have seen. I come away from Sunday homilies knowing more quite often, even though I am fairly well-educated.

Have any of you done the Bible in a Year with Father Mike Schmitz? A really outstanding program that I strongly recommend. He makes the Bible understandable, which is no easy feat. I am currently catching up on the Catechism in a year, which is equally great. I strongly recommend these programs if you have not ever heard of them!

In conclusion, stay strong. Nothing good in life comes easy!

Have any of you done the Bible in a Year with Father Mike Schmitz? A really outstanding program that I strongly recommend. He makes the Bible understandable, which is no easy feat. I am currently catching up on the Catechism in a year, which is equally great. I strongly recommend these programs if you have not ever heard of them!

In conclusion, stay strong. Nothing good in life comes easy!
Happy Easter to all! Jesus Christ is risen. Indeed, He is risen!

CzechCzar, I’m glad everything came out OK regarding the hospital stay. I’ve listened to some of Fr. Mike Schmitz’s Bible and Catechism in a year.

Finished with 24 shaves on the Rubie blade.

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (24)
Proraso red aftershave

The last three shaves were penance shaves, because the blade needed changing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Finished with 24 shaves on the Rubie blade.

Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
RazoRock SLOC razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade (24)
Proraso red aftershave

The last three shaves were penance shaves, because the blade needed changing.
Congratulations on finishing my friend!

I know I've been distracted here, but I appreciate the support as always. No problem with the GRUEL, other than the grueling wait for a new job, but things are looking up, thanks be to God.

God Bless you all and thanks for your fraternity!

Top Bottom