What's new

Gem/Ever Ready Rotation

DE,

Many thanks for the reply. Your assessment of Andy's Featherweight indicates a flaw in my featherweight... the words "firmly and securely" do not apply to the cap of my razor. Since I do not own another Featherweight, I did not realize that the blade should be secured as firmly as that in my G-Bar. I believe that the blade is not being held securely in the head of my Featherweight. Perhaps a weak spring or problem with the cap. I will get this sorted before I try it again. Thanks again.

Thanks for the warm greeting and the advice. A pack of each blade has been dutifully ordered. Let the games begin!! I learned to shave with a Schick injector-which my Dad used after transitioning from straights except for the rare sojourn with a gifted electric. Gems were terra incognito but their visual appeal (a combination of clean elegance with a vague forboding of dread)is attractive. I shall read this entire thread and keep trying! Will keep you informed.

Also be aware that some of the SE blades available are totally unsuitable for the SE novice (or any sort of shave for that matter). This selection represents all of the currently available single-edge razor blades, which I would recommend to a single-edge initiate: Shoebox Shave Shop Single Edge Blades. A myriad of industrial-use single-edge blades are also available, however, I strongly suggest you try one or two of these blades before you invest in a bulk supply.

Quite true. The Gem Blue Star blades may very well be rusting on their way to your local apothecary, as we speak. The very cheap blades I bought at A&P for under $2 almost turned me off SE shaving.

I was saved by the Ted Pellas, whether they be marked "For Industrial Use" or not, they are a fine blade, and have always treated me well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Quite true. The Gem Blue Star blades may very well be rusting on their way to your local apothecary, as we speak. The very cheap blades I bought at A&P for under $2 almost turned me off SE shaving.

I was saved by the Ted Pellas, whether they be marked "For Industrial Use" or not, they are a fine blade, and have always treated me well.

+2

Same here. The Ted Pella blades are an excellent choice. Granted, blades can be a YMMV thing, but the Ted Pellas are quite a good choice, and I suggest folks who have not given them a try do so.
Well worth the investment.

Don't let the term "Industrial" throw you. Industrial also includes the medical and surgical field, and these blades are plenty sharp.

Last edited:
I promised Martin (LMartino) I would incorporate the Ever-Ready 1907 into the project. When Dave Irving encouraged us to embrace SE shaving with the classic Ever-Readys and Gems it was this razor that cast its spell on me. I was so taken by the open metal work, the stylized ER and the beautiful scrollwork on the back, the little man shaving, the capitals of Europe. It was all from a world gone by, when design and function melded so perfectly that it became a thing of rare beauty, indeed art. This was the first razor I aggressively pursued on ebay, the most expensive razor I had ever purchased at that time.

It is a great shaver, very comparable to JJ's stunning Gem Junior Bar. The short handle is not nearly as comfortable as the long delicate wand on the Junior Bar. Nevertheless, it is an irreplaceable piece of history.

Ease of use - 2.8 out of 3
Agressiveness - 3 out of 5.

Things are winding down. It has been quite a ride, thanks to John, Andy and JJ! Today I wanted to try to discern which was more comfortable to use: the Shovel (1924 Ever-Ready), the "LIFT HERE" (1914 Ever-Ready), or the Classic 1912. I had originally thought the first two were more aggressive than the 1912. I have started to come to the realization that with these three razors it depends on so many factors, especially the blade. On one day the Shovel may feel more comfortable and less aggressive than the 1912. They each shave very similarly. The Shovel has this very distinctive top heaviness, which some may like. (I do.) Today I paired the Shovel with the 1912, tomorrow I will pair the Lift Here with the "Classic" and see what the scoop is. Until then. DE

Many thanks to you, DE, for bringing SE razors into the spotlight!:thumbup:

I used my travel version shovel head today. (I call it my "Travel '24". Has kind of a 50's rock lyric sound to it I think.) Might change up to a 1912 tomorrow, I haven't used one of those in months. This thread really has me wanting to go through my entire SE collection!

Many thanks to you, DE, for bringing SE razors into the spotlight!:thumbup:

I used my travel version shovel head today. (I call it my "Travel '24". Has kind of a 50's rock lyric sound to it I think.) Might change up to a 1912 tomorrow, I haven't used one of those in months. This thread really has me wanting to go through my entire SE collection!

Well, I gotta say it VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!

:001_smile Nice to see these razors get some attention, I think they are highly underated. I use straights most of the time now , but my GEM's provide a very similar experience if you have a good blade. Cheers M.:thumbup:

Hi,

Inspired by this thread, I have had a GEM-fest for the last couple of weeks :001_smile

For me, the comfort of the shave (using GEM PTFE coated stainless blades) is rated as:

Most comfortable: Ever-Ready 1912 & 1924

Almost as comfortable: GEM 'G-Bar' & Micromatic Bullet Tip.

Super shavers all of them :001_smile

These razors are the best shaving safety razors I have ever used (I usually shave with a straight).

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I used my travel version shovel head today. (I call it my "Travel '24". Has kind of a 50's rock lyric sound to it I think.) This thread really has me wanting to go through my entire SE collection!

Andy, you take your Travel 24 when you go "Racing In the Streets" down "Route 66". A., I know your looking forward to going through your entire SE collection. There's only one problem, its at my house:w00t:!

Have no fear, those home sick razors will be on their way this week.

Today was a duel between the Lift Here and the Classic. I can safely say, the Lift Here is a tad more aggressive. But not by much, it is a very comfortable shaver. I want to reiterate that the trio: the Shovel, the Lift Here, and the Classic on any given day may seem more aggressive than the other. (Again, by aggressive I mean providing a very, very close shave, but having a roughish quality to it.) It will strongly depend on your prep (ie...hot shower or just a face wash), and most importantly, the characteristic of the blade used: good quality, first shave and super sharp (the nicks will appear here), or 3rd or 4th shave, where a good quality blade is in its sweet spot.

Tomorrow, a surprise!!!

Inspired by this thread, I have had a GEM-fest for the last couple of weeks :001_smile For me, the comfort of the shave (using GEM PTFE coated stainless blades) is rated as:
Most comfortable: Ever-Ready 1912 & 1924
Almost as comfortable: GEM 'G-Bar' & Micromatic Bullet Tip.
Super shavers all of them :001_smile
These razors are the best shaving safety razors I have ever used (I usually shave with a straight). Russ

Russ, I am so glad you had your own Gem-fest.

It's sad to see the SE survey end.

DD

Dave, since 9/27/10, I have shaved exclusively with our Gem/Ever-Ready beauties, every day, except for one when I didn't shave at all. 15 different models.

It has been quite a ride. In the past, I would use my SEs occasionally, throwing them into my DE mix. This has been a wonderful experience, opening up a world of razors I had never used before (Thanks to John, John, and Andy!)

The Gem Junior Bar was mailed back to JJ this morning and I was sad to see the most elegant shaver I have ever used go. Andy's will head back home later this week.

My favorite TTO is the Bullet Tip, the Micromatics are too unforgiving. In the Snap and Seal world, the Gem Jr. Bar would have to be at the top of the list, followed by, in no particular order: the G-Bar, the Shovel Head (1924 Ever-Ready), the 1912 Classic and the Featherweight Deluxe.

One thing I learned thanks to John and JJ is that the length of the handle does make a difference. The various Snap and Seal heads would benefit greatly from a longer handle. John's Cooncat Bob special anodized aluminum extra long Bull Mastiff was truly off the charts in comfort and provided, along with JJ's delicate wand of a handle on the Gem Jr. Bar, the proper angle and leverage to bring out all of the potential of these razor heads.

Thank you all for participating in this wonderful journey. I promised a surprise for tomorrow. I hope it won't disappoint. Cheers! Darjeeling.

Russ, I am so glad you had your own Gem-fest.

Dave, since 9/27/10, I have shaved exclusively with our Gem/Ever-Ready beauties, every day, except for one when I didn't shave at all. 15 different models.

It has been quite a ride. In the past, I would use my SEs occasionally, throwing them into my DE mix. This has been a wonderful experience, opening up a world of razors I had never used before (Thanks to John, John, and Andy!)

The Gem Junior Bar was mailed back to JJ this morning and I was sad to see the most elegant shaver I have ever used go. Andy's will head back home later this week.

My favorite TTO is the Bullet Tip, the Micromatics are too unforgiving. In the Snap and Seal world, the Gem Jr. Bar would have to be at the top of the list, followed by, in no particular order: the G-Bar, the Shovel Head (1924 Ever-Ready), the 1912 Classic and the Featherweight Deluxe.

One thing I learned thanks to John and JJ is that the length of the handle does make a difference. The various Snap and Seal heads would benefit greatly from a longer handle. John's Cooncat Bob special anodized aluminum extra long Bull Mastiff was truly off the charts in comfort and provided, along with JJ's delicate wand of a handle on the Gem Jr. Bar, the proper angle and leverage to bring out all of the potential of these razor heads.

Thank you all for participating in this wonderful journey. I promised a surprise for tomorrow. I hope it won't disappoint. Cheers! Darjeeling.

I would say I would subscribe to the thread so I don't miss it, but I already did a long time ago. :thumbup1:

ETA: And why hasn't this been stickied yet?

Joe,

Thanks for a valuable thread. I think you gave awareness to not just the novice SE users but those of us that have a preference for that close BBS shave.

Again thanks!!

JB

DE, thanks for a great thread. I really enjoy using SE's a lot, with the Gem JR. being my favorite. The fat handle isn't the most attractive, but it really is easy to use.

Joe,

Thanks for a valuable thread. I think you gave awareness to not just the novice SE users but those of us that have a preference for that close BBS shave.

Again thanks!!

JB

JB, your help in this adventure was invaluable. It was your fabulous handle that revealed the full capacity of these razors. Thank you again.

DE, thanks for a great thread. I really enjoy using SE's a lot, with the Gem JR. being my favorite. The fat handle isn't the most attractive, but it really is easy to use.

Skrymr, I know what you mean about that stocky plastic monstrosity, what were they thinking?? But it is comfortable! You have a great shaver there. Enjoy it.

--------------------------------------------

I promised you all a surprise. Here it is. The shave it delivered was just wonderful. The length is identical to JJ's elegant wand. Alas, it is primitive in comparison. Enjoy.

Wow, that 1907 Lather Catcher is a wild-looking thing.

I was glad to read your opinion on ease of use with the Junior, having recently picked one up myself. I've got some Gem Blue Star blades coming in the mail and am looking at getting 100 of the PTFE-coated Gem blades from Canemco for $30ish.

What a great idea on the citrus reamer! I have an ER lather catcher with a tiny little all metal handle. I might have to steal your idea on this one :drool:

Top Bottom