What's new

Gem/Ever Ready Rotation

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a follow-up post regarding the Dorco SE blades. I haven't tried them myself, but have tried the Korean SE blades found at Winn-Dixie and K-Mart. The blades from both stores were slightly undersized. The distance from the blade edge back to the spine was shorter than a standard SE blade,resulting in a loose fit. After shimming a blade using a toothpick, I attempted a shave. They were not sharp enough for me. Of course, YMMV.

-Clarke

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a follow-up post regarding the Dorco SE blades. I haven't tried them myself, but have tried the Korean SE blades found at Winn-Dixie and K-Mart. The blades from both stores were slightly undersized. The distance from the blade edge back to the spine was shorter than a standard SE blade,resulting in a loose fit. After shimming a blade using a toothpick, I attempted a shave. They were not sharp enough for me. Of course, YMMV.

-Clarke

I used one that Bit2 sent me to try out, and mentioned the results in another thread about Dorcos. The worst injury one could get from the Dorco SE is a bad bruise, or maybe an abrasion. They're incapable of actually cuting anything.

What a great idea on the citrus reamer! I have an ER lather catcher with a tiny little all metal handle. I might have to steal your idea on this one :drool:

The idea is in the public domain, grab it. Williams Sonoma carries it for $8 (made in Poland) (that's the one I used), but my local kitchen goods place had an even chunkier handle (made in Taiwan) for $3.50. Though chunkier, it still fits nicely in your hand. I sanded mine with 000 grit and then some 000 steel wool, stained it, and lathered some bees wax based furniture polish on it, multiple times, letting the oils absorb into the wood.

Awesome, DE! You've got me looking around the house for some oddball thing to turn into a handle!

JJ, I went to the local kitchen supply shop and looked at every spatula, salad spoon, mixing spoon etc.... Nothing quite fit the bill like the citrus reamer. And nothing comes close to your wand from Ollivander's.

So I went back to the DEs. Started with the EJ DE89L, a great, gorgeous razor. Moved on to a Pomco Slant. Amazing razor, nothing better, right? Guess what, the shaves are not nearly as close as our SE friends. The EJ, which is a modern wonder, (shhhhh is sort of lame in comparison. I will deny saying this, because I remain a big fan of the 89L. Only use it though if you want to grow a beard.)

So I went back to the DEs. Started with the EJ DE89L, a great, gorgeous razor. Moved on to a Pomco Slant. Amazing razor, nothing better, right? Guess what, the shaves are not nearly as close as our SE friends. The EJ, which is a modern wonder, (shhhhh is sort of lame in comparison. I will deny saying this, because I remain a big fan of the 89L. Only use it though if you want to grow a beard.)

I can't decide if the SE's shave closer or if it lasts longer, but there is a definite difference. I gave the SE's a rest this last week and used a different DE every day. But I used the same blade, a NOS Made in England Wilkinson Sword for seven straight shaves, and truthfully the blade is still good for a few more shaves. They are truly remarkable blades but by the evening it feels like there's more stubble than what I'm used to with an SE.

Back to the SE's tomorrow morning. Already have a gold Micromatic Clog Pruf, vintage Williams soap and a Treet blade lined up and waiting.:thumbup:

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this project, I'm sure it has helped a lot of folks decide on what SE's to try out.

I was wondering, do the instructions for your custom handle say something like this?

Step 1: Remove leg from a table.
Step 2: Attach razor head to table leg.

Love the handle!

Last edited:
there is a definite difference. I gave the SE's a rest this last week and used a different DE every day. But I used the same blade, a NOS Made in England Wilkinson Sword for seven straight shaves, and truthfully the blade is still good for a few more shaves. They are truly remarkable blades but by the evening it feels like there's more stubble than what I'm used to with an SE.

Back to the SE's tomorrow morning. Already have a gold Micromatic Clog Pruf, vintage Williams soap and a Treet blade lined up and waiting.:thumbup:

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this project, I'm sure it has helped a lot of folks decide on what SE's to try out.

I was wondering, do the instructions for your custom handle say something like this?

Step 1: Remove leg from a table.
Step 2: Attach razor head to table leg.

Love the handle!

Those are the exact instructions.

So, big surprise, this project was a RAD enabling experience. Here's the loot. NOS Featherweight Deluxe. My one and only NOS anything. Not to worry, I've Barbicided it and its ready to go!! AND... a Shovel, in Near Mint condition, housed in a celluloid case from Crews and Beggs, a very old and venerable department store from Colorado.

Those are the exact instructions.

So, big surprise, this project was a RAD enabling experience. Here's the loot. NOS Featherweight Deluxe. My one and only NOS anything. Not to worry, I've Barbicided it and its ready to go!! AND... a Shovel, in Near Mint condition, housed in a celluloid case from Crews and Beggs, a very old and venerable department store from Colorado.

Two very beautiful razors, use them in the best of health!

The 1924 shovel-head is identical to the one I was going to send you to try, only to find out that you already had one previously sent to you. It's become one of my absolute favorite razors, and that's after it sat in a box for years without me paying any attention to it at all.

I got curious about how it would shave after you started your thread, tried it out and found I was shaving with a superb and very very noisy razor.

SE razors don't get the attention they deserve and I think the 1224 shovel-head is one of the least appreciated gems in the Ever Ready line. Notice the clever joke in the last sentence.

Last edited:
"So I went back to the DEs. Started with the EJ DE89L, a great, gorgeous razor. Moved on to a Pomco Slant. Amazing razor, nothing better, right? Guess what, the shaves are not nearly as close as our SE friends. The EJ, which is a modern wonder, (shhhhh is sort of lame in comparison. I will deny saying this, because I remain a big fan of the 89L. Only use it though if you want to grow a beard.)"

That "going back to DE's" part had me concerned for a bit? . . . . I too have a 89L but it hasn't seen much action lately. Which is a shame because it is one of a few really great DE's. However, the only DE's that I have found that approaches the shave quality of my SE's are the Gillette "Old Type" & NEW models. It seems Gillette should have stopped designing razors after those, since the following models all became less effective with each newer design.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this thread, I'm sure everyone learned much of the mysterious SE's and their virtues. I know it inspired me just this morning the give my 1924 a first try.

Thanks again,

DD

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this thread, I'm sure everyone learned much of the mysterious SE's and their virtues. I know it inspired me just this morning the give my 1924 a first try.

Thanks again,

DD

DD, you are so welcome. It was truly my pleasure. I used the "new" Shovel today with the Gem Jr. Chunky Plastic Handle. It fits perfectly and is a bit more comfortable than the shrimpy, though quite heavy, original handle. Needless to say, it was a fabulous (and nickless) shave.

WoW, what a great thread! Thanks to Darjeeling express for taking the time to post all his observations. I have (what I know now) is a 1912 beveled handle GEM on the way. I will pick up some blades from Walgreens. I have been wondering if I can get a closer shave than what I get from a DE87 and a Feather. Seems like this is just the razor to try.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ah, what a feeling, surrounded by fellow SE shavers, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I just wish someone would market an all stainless SE shaver...'then I could die in peace.

Top Bottom