What's new

Gem/Ever Ready Rotation

Inspired by this thread

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168646&highlight=single

I wanted to give the Gem and Ever Ready razors more attention and rate them in terms of "ease of use" on a scale of 3 and agressiveness on a scale of 5. For the former,"3" is the equivalent of "sleep shaving", and on the latter scale a "5" renders one "sliced to ribbons".

I will work through the following 8 razors over the next two weeks. While it may not be in the following order, the list corresponds to the pics below, left to right.

All are Gems except for the Ever Ready Lather Catcher.

G-Bar, Lather Catcher (1907), over size black handled Gem Junior, Ornate Handle (1912 head), The Bullet Tip/Bullseye/Magic Eye, Lined Handle (1912 Head), Bevel Handled Gem Jr. (1912 Head), and finally, a Micromatic Clog pruf.

Today, I began with the Micromatic Clog pruf (1934). This triple plated razor, with the antenna handle is a stunning example of Gem engineering. By disassembling it, one of our members did an extraordinary analysis of how the head mechanism actually works. I can't find the thread, so perhaps, someone can add it to this thread. When you open the razor, the head first recedes several millimeters and then opens its maw. Amaz'in.

Two days growth, for some of us, yields a closer shave than one. Loaded with a new Gem Stainless blade, it is inconceivable that I could get a closer shave than today's. The Micromatic is not a forgiving model. It requires careful attention to technique. As it is, I had to touch up with the styptic in 4 spots. Slight nicks only, nothing to discourage me from returning to this triple plated marvel of engineering.

Ease of Use: - 1.5 (quite a bit of attention required)
Aggressiveness - 3.5 (this razor can do some damage if you are not vigilant. If you are, however, it yields, an extremely close shave.)

I'm very interested in following your reviews. I just picked up my first couple of Gems. I don't have any blades to try in them yet, going to have to hit the drug store tomorrow and see what I can find.

I'm very glad indeed you're doing this. I've been wanting to do a GEM/EverReady rotation for a while now and I've just not gotten around to it.

Excellent thread! I will be watching this one with baited breath. I have several of these razors, and was considering picking up a couple of the others. Bravo for your randomly perfect timing :001_smile

I'm very interested in following your reviews. I just picked up my first couple of Gems. I don't have any blades to try in them yet, going to have to hit the drug store tomorrow and see what I can find.

You will find some very good SE blades at the drug store. That being said, not all of them are stainless steel. I have had some very fine shaves with the non-stainless. They do rust by just looking at them, so dry them off between shaves - carefully. You may find some Gems, Treets, Blue Stars - all good. Do some thread searching and Amazon surfing and you will find the Ted Pella stainless equivalents on line. Probably the best stainless steel SE blade available .

It seems like you should add a Open Comb Micromatic to the test, just for completeness.DD

DD- no way. I put my open comb Micromatic on the B/S/T a year ago. Now Lou, those open combs are a 5!!

You will find some very good SE blades at the drug store. That being said, not all of them are stainless steel. I have had some very fine shaves with the non-stainless. They do rust by just looking at them, so dry them off between shaves - carefully. You may find some Gems, Treets, Blue Stars - all good. Do some thread searching and Amazon surfing and you will find the Ted Pella stainless equivalents on line. Probably the best stainless steel SE blade available .
QUOTE]

Thanks, I have read a little about the Ted Pella blades. Figured I should just buy a few blades in case the SE doesn't work for me, that's why I was just going to pick up something locally for starters. If the SE works for me then I will probably look into picking up some of those.

DD- no way. I put my open comb Micromatic on the B/S/T a year ago. Now Lou, those open combs are a 5!!

If you decide to change your mind and give the OC another try, PM your address and I'll get one sent out. Who knows, maybe it'll work better for you this time around.:001_smile

Looking forward to your observations. Without really trying, I seem to have acquired quite a collection of vintage SE razors. I'm really liking the way they shave!

Like many of us on the forum, we were inspired to experiment with Gems and Ever Readys, indeed, Single Edge shaving, as a result of the enthusiasm and guidance of Dave Irving, one of our incredible members who founded his own site dedicated to these vintage SE razors. The site can be found here http://www.theoriginalsafety.com/

So what follows in this thread is really a tribute to Dave.

Today saw the Bevel Handled Gem Jr. in action with its 1912 head. Whatever gold plate existed on the head is now forever gone, but the handle still has a glimmer of its original beauty. Hexagonal in shape, each side is beveled and delicately notched. Its a solid piece of metal, so despite its diminutive 2.5 inches, it has surprising heft.

The shave today was quite extraordinary. A comparison to yesterday's experience with the Micromatic must preliminarily acknowledge two variables. The Gem blade was on its second shave, so its aggressiveness may have dulled by a factor and there wasn't much of a beard to shave, since yesterday's shave was so close. Having said this, the shave today was amazing. The 1912 head is a much more forgiving machine than the Micromatic. This Gem is not a twist to open mechanism, here the blade guard/cover simply snaps open and closed. This simple design works! While attention is always required when shaving, considerably less is demanded from the 1912. For my money, it shaves as closely as the Micromatic only without the nicks. No styptic pencil required today for a truly extraordinary, smooth, extremely close shave.
Ease of Use - 2.7 on a scale of 3. Not a "sleep shaver", but close.
Aggressiveness - 3 on a scale of 5.

P.S. on reflection, the Micromatic should probably earn a 4 on the aggressive scale.

Awesome thread! I love my SE razors,especially my new lather catcher. Can't wait to see more pics and shave reviews. The only one I am missing is the oc micromatic, the G bar hides in the cabinet the most. Lol

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yep, thanks Joe. There has been a new SE interest on the board lately, at least to me big ol ears

I have some SE questions, Dave Irving?

Gary

Last edited:
Gary, I have put out an all points bulletin for Dave to way in to see if he can sort out that gorgeous array of Micromatics you posted above. Truly a beautifully composed pic!

There is a related thread going on right now comparing the 1914 EverReady head, with the 1912 (Gem ultimately acquired EverReady and the 1912 head was used under both banners) and then comparing a streamlined 1912 Damaskene head with the more typical 1912 which I am experimenting with. Sadly, I traded away my Damaskenes, never realizing there was a distinction in these 1912s, and never encountered the 1914 head. More to follow .....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169835

To eliminate the blade variable, this morning I revisited the same razor from yesterday, the Bevel Handled Gem Jr. with the 1912 (common) head, using a new Gem Stainless blade. My initial assessment remains the same, notwithstanding a few dabs with the styptic pencil this time. Quite a fabulous razor!

Top Bottom