What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As noted above in post #93, @gdawg55 gives the edge to the Windsor plates over the S1. Do you share that take? It is always fun triangulating based on multiple reactions to any products.

I've not used the Windsor plates anywhere near enough to be really sure, but I think so. I don't have the newer version of the Windsor plates. Mine have the little holes.

The S1 is a really good slant. A really good razor. It's not the slant I reach for when I want to use a slant, but it's a really good slant.

ATT razors with Windsor plates are among the best DE razors I've used I think. However, that is me saying something I shouldn't say. (You should sit on a block of salt while reading it.) My reservations are based on the fact I've used the Windsor plates very few times.

I would say the shave of the Windsor plates I've used - CM1, CR1, SSH1 - has delivered in three ways.
  1. For me, there's a big wow factor to the shaves with all the plates. This is not talking of the looks of the razors, but of the shave itself.
  2. They're more efficient than I would have expected. That said, the CM1 is not the razor to pick if looking for a long lasting, very close shave.
  3. All three feel very smooth. The other two aren't far from the CM1 in the Smooth Department.
With these three baseplates I could think of the ATT Windsor as being an adjustable razor in the sense the Karve is, but with only three plates. I wouldn't want a razor milder than the CM1, at least not very often. The CM1 is plenty mild. I also wouldn't very often want much more than the SSH1. While smooth the H1 is efficient enough for most days.

All in all, my Windsors offer a whole lot.

Again, I'm new to the Windsor and have some stars in my eyes. I'd heavily discount my comments even though they're spot on.

I know I could use the S1 day after day. I don't know for sure I could do the same with any one of the Windsor plates. I don't know I couldn't but I've not tested it either way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I've not used the Windsor plates anywhere near enough to be really sure, but I think so. I don't have the newer version of the Windsor plates. Mine have the little holes.

The S1 is a really good slant. A really good razor. It's not the slant I reach for when I want to use a slant, but it's a really good slant.

ATT razors with Windsor plates are among the best DE razors I've used I think. However, that is me saying something I shouldn't say. (You should sit on a block of salt while reading it.) My reservations are based on the fact I've used the Windsor plates very few times.

I would say the shave of the Windsor plates I've used - CM1, CR1, SSH1 - has delivered in three ways.
  1. For me, there's a big wow factor to the shaves with all the plates. This is not talking of the looks of the razors, but of the shave itself.
  2. They're more efficient than I would have expected. That said, the CM1 is not the razor to pick if looking for a long lasting, very close shave.
  3. All three feel very smooth. The other two aren't far from the CM1 in the Smooth Department.
With these three baseplates I could think of the ATT Windsor as being an adjustable razor in the sense the Karve is, but with only three plates. I wouldn't want a razor milder than the CM1, at least not very often. The CM1 is plenty mild. I also wouldn't very often want much more than the SSH1. While smooth the H1 is efficient enough for most days.

All in all, my Windsors offer a whole lot.

Again, I'm new to the Windsor and have some stars in my eyes. I'd heavily discount my comments even though they're spot on.

I know I could use the S1 day after day. I don't know for sure I could do the same with any one of the Windsor plates. I don't know I couldn't but I've not tested it either way.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Many thanks! I used a CM this morning, and now, about nine hours later, it is still quite smooth. I have been thinking about an S1, but it looks as if you and @gdawg55 may have brought me to my senses to be happy with what I have!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You need the Aluminum cap and handle to match up with the CH1/CR1/CM1 plates. ;) :cool:

20211102_162830~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Shannons Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Shannons Soaps Barbershop
Fragrance: Original Penguin Reserve
20211102_162928~2.jpg

Superb razor! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211109_155344~2.jpg

Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Pre de Provance No. 63
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray
20211109_155428~2.jpg

Superb razor. Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm amazed at how good this sucker can shave me.

1-9-21.CM1.RV-D01.SS-NIL.640.JPG

The super mild, surprisingly efficient, and quite effective ATT CM1 with its Windsor Pro SS cap has now been officially elevated to Daily Driver Category status. (That is my highest category for razors.)

Not that I'm planning to, but if I had to get rid of all my razors but one...this might be the one.

At least it would be in the running.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1360342
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Pre de Provance No. 63
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray
View attachment 1360341
Superb razor. Superb shave! :cool:

Beautiful kit.
I'm enjoying the look of the coating on the ATT copper that keeps the patina off.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful kit.
I'm enjoying the look of the coating on the ATT copper that keeps the patina off.
Thank you, I like the nice clean copper too. :)

I really like the weight and balance of the Copper/Aluminum Mixed Metal razor. The total weight seems (have not measured) to be close to some of my Ti razors. :)

This is a PSA for copper addicts who don't get Above the Tie emails. They have five (5) five piece copper sets for sale. They have copper tops and plates, a copper inkwell stand, and a copper Calypso handle.
Hmm. You had my hopes up that I could get a brass cap. No such luck. Nice looking set though.
Thank you, I like the nice clean copper too. :)

I really like the weight and balance of the Copper/Aluminum Mixed Metal razor. The total weight seems (have not measured) to be close to some of my Ti razors. :)
The mixed copper/SS razor is heavy. I like it!
Imagepipe_27.jpg

Top Bottom