What's new

Above the Tie X1 Slant - First Shave

The other day I used my X1 with a spectacular Feather Super blade! The Super is a touch wider than the Shick or the Feather Pro, giving the X1 more blade feel and improving efficiency. I would still call the overall shave mild, but a step up from standard artisan club blades. I was a bit nervous about how the wider blade would perform, but it only took a couple of seconds to adjust, and it exceeded my expectations.

After going through several Feather Super blades, I thought an update was in order. While I still love the first shave with a Super, they dull back noticeably quicker than the Shick or regular Feather blade. Since I like both of those blades better after five or six shaves than the Super with the same amount of use, I will not be buying any more Feather Supers once I am finished with my supply.

I have used my X1 Slant and the Feather Super Blades exclusively for a few months. While the Super is not my favorite blade, which would be either the regular Feather or the Shick P-30, it still gives a great shave. Since I have a stock of the black box Feather blades and the Shick blades on hand, I plan to use the Super Blades until my supply is exhausted. I still love my original double edge Above the Tie razors, but the X1 is incredibly good and could easily be my one and only razor. While I have an open comb DE head, a slant DE head, and my original 2013 R1 head from ATT, I tend to stick with what I like and grow accustomed to. Especially since I get 10-12 shaves from my SE blades compared to two with any DE blade. I know there are many fantastic options available, but after ten years of only using ATT (or the rare shave with my vintage Gillette Fat Boy) I will continue using ATT razors for all my remaining days. I tend to be more interested in different soaps or rotating through my modest selection of brushes than changing my razor. Between SE and DE blades, I have enough on hand to last me a decade or more, so enjoying my stock and exercising some razor-restraint is in order! With several soap options and a few brushes I love, my expenditures seem to go towards more fragrances these days.

Top Bottom