What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

Well... I have been using the CM plate for the last week or so with a schedule that allowed for almost shaving every other night. Today due to my ever changing crazy work schedule it has been 3 nights which brings on the advent of using the CR plate for the first time. Marvelous!!
The rest of the set up for the shave is
Pre-shave: Cremo daily face wash
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (1)
Soap: Caisson Shaving - Code Four... I think this one may be top of my going to finish first out of my inventory and be immediately restocked.
Brush: Shavemac Beagle butterscotch bulb.
PXL_20211115_024048578.jpg

Due to this weed crazy work schedule and trying to get the house we bought into move in condition it's been a 5 day stretch between shaves... That being said it allowed me the chance to use the base plate which has been sitting in the drawer since I ordered it.... The Windsor SSH plate.... I decided to make it a full ATT shave using their shave soap, and their synthetic brush.
So after taking a deep breath to get past the idea of using the most aggressive plate in my Windsor larder and paying close attention to the angle I managed a 3 pass, WTG, XTG, ATG with only one weeper and a few minor irritation spots.... Incredibly impressive.
PXL_20211129_014721020.jpg
PXL_20211129_020003267~2.jpg
PXL_20211129_022917548.jpg
PXL_20211129_022923785.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1640196870065.png

This treated copper razor continues to look beautiful and also perform as well as anything else in my rotation. Very nice razor.

The CM and CR are very good baseplates, too. You probably already know that.

12-16-21.CM1.Vitos.Jade.640.JPG

I like the mixed metal - SS, copper, titanium - the look and the weight.

These ATT razors are very hard to beat.

But...

In my view, the Above the Tie marketing, especially their lack of explanation about the differences in their products, hurts them.

I had a very hard time determining what to buy, and would have been totally unable to decide without the help of B&B members.

It's not just ATT than does that. The worst I think is Haircut & Shave. They talk forever about buying American but don't tell you anything about their wares.

I think more people would have a great ATT razor if they company did a better job of marketing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not wrong about how good the razors are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1382351

View attachment 1382350

But...

In my view, the Above the Tie marketing, especially their lack of explanation about the differences in their products, hurts them.

I had a very hard time determining what to buy, and would have been totally unable to decide without the help of B&B members.

It's not just ATT than does that. The worst I think is Haircut & Shave. They talk forever about buying American but don't tell you anything about their wares.

I think more people would have a great ATT razor if they company did a better job of marketing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for the heads up on the Tibam Radiator handle. I’m asking him to do a brass version in 80mm and 15mm diameter with the narrow neck to fit a blackland Blackbird

View attachment 1382351

View attachment 1382350

But...

Maybe I'm wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I agree. When I was looking into ATT, I also had a similar confusion in their products. I had to piece together to find out the differences so I think a one-stop page with all the different razor plates will help a lot. Especially with the SS plates now selling along with M,R,H and the Windsor Pro line being sold before, things can get confusing real fast.

I also think an entry level ATT razor would be a great benefit to the line. I think the Windsor Pro line was excellent in the shave that it gives but I don't think many people tried it. Maybe a focus on the entry level razor will bring a lot of newcomers and then naturally, they will be more interested in the more enthusiast side of the Windsor line, etcs.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I agree. When I was looking into ATT, I also had a similar confusion in their products. I had to piece together to find out the differences so I think a one-stop page with all the different razor plates will help a lot. Especially with the SS plates now selling along with M,R,H and the Windsor Pro line being sold before, things can get confusing real fast.

I also think an entry level ATT razor would be a great benefit to the line. I think the Windsor Pro line was excellent in the shave that it gives but I don't think many people tried it. Maybe a focus on the entry level razor will bring a lot of newcomers and then naturally, they will be more interested in the more enthusiast side of the Windsor line, etcs.
I would like a chart where each razor is shown in a bubble with its available plates, metal, handles, and finishes along with prices and lines linking it to all others with interchangeable tops and plates (maybe with returns and ugly stuff in parentheses).

Yeah, I first looked into ATT razors maybe five years ago, around the time Stan retired, I think, and I couldn't figure out what all their letters and numbers meant. I think the H I have stands for "heavy" (?). It's a great razor and I have no doubt that other plates are also very good, but I'm not a fan of extra plates as I tend to pick the one I like and the extras sit in a box in a drawer. I'd rather add diversity with other razor makers.

On ATT website, and after selecting a certain style, scroll down and you will find a table with the specifications of different heads. Also see Best Safety Razors for My Beard - https://www.abovethetie.com/pages/best-safety-razors-for-my-beard

e.g. For Windsor head code, when it starts with SS it is Stainless Steel, then followed by the aggression code M,R,H (Mild,Regular,Heavy), if followed by 1 then it is Solid Bar 2 is Open Comb. Newly introduced SSRH where the gap is in between the Regular & Heavy, and the SSMR where the gap is in between the Mild & Regular.
Hope that helps

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
On ATT website, and after selecting a certain style, scroll down and you will find a table with the specifications of different heads. Also see Best Safety Razors for My Beard - https://www.abovethetie.com/pages/best-safety-razors-for-my-beard

e.g. For Windsor head code, when it starts with SS it is Stainless Steel, then followed by the aggression code M,R,H (Mild,Regular,Heavy), if followed by 1 then it is Solid Bar 2 is Open Comb. Newly introduced SSRH where the gap is in between the Regular & Heavy, and the SSMR where the gap is in between the Mild & Regular.
Hope that helps
They need to put your summary (with credit) in a highlighted box at the top of each page regarding their razors!

Top Bottom