What's new

Above the Tie X1 Slant - First Shave

I received my new Above the Tie X1 Slant razor and used it for the first time this morning. Before using the razor, I was a bit intimidated by the width of the head and wasn't sure if I'd like it. I've used an ATT 2013 R plate original design for ten years and knew I liked that configuration. However, as soon as I started shaving, my fears were immediately put to rest! The shave was efficient and close, and dare I say, more forgiving than my older razor. Since this was just the first shave, I'll hold off on final passing judgment, but all in all, I was extremely impressed! Every other part of my shave was status quo. My MWF lather was a bit weak as I am using up the remnants of a puck and am down to just a ring at the bottom of the ceramic bowl. The width of the razor head made quick work of my two-day-old beard, and I achieved a smooth chin without any knicks. I am interested to see how many shaves I get from the Feather Pro blade. My old ATT razor has a 3" Atlas handle, and I opted for the 3.5" Calypso handle for the new razor. I enjoy the balance and maneuverability of the Atlas handle on the DE razor, but the slightly longer Calypso creates a similar feel in the wider SE head of the X1. Happy and impressed! I should add that coming from an existing ATT razor, there was almost zero adjustments in getting used to the razor. I intuitively was shaving as if this was my old DE razor.
tempImageKI2SsG.png

Nice review. I agree with your assessment. The X1 is a fantastic shaving razor. I can get about 8-10 shaves out of a Proline blade which is about double what I get from my DE blades. The wide AC head does take some getting used to but overall I like it.

I also got the same handle and feel the balance is just right. ATT hit the X1 out of the park. Think I’ll use mine tomorrow.

Happy shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I was buying the X1, I chatted with Mariah via email. She told me Matt designed the X1 specifically for his own use. I thought that was cool. Mariah couldn't have been nicer or more efficient.

I'm glad you like yours. I had the same experience after my first shave and those great shaves have continued. In fact, I used mine just yesterday. I already had a Timeless Ti Crown handle around so I'm using that in lieu of the Kronos and stand I bought along with it . It lightens it up a bit (around an ounce) and makes it just a bit more maneuverable for me.

My biggest problem was getting the blade installed properly. I'm getting it right most of the time but I did notice just today that the blade and top cap weren't oriented correctly after I cleaned and reassembled it. But it only took a few seconds to make the adjustment.

The X1 earned its way into my top razor list. I have to come up with a name for that top 7 list. In any event, continue to enjoy your X1. I know, I will.

Last edited:
As I was buying the X1, I chatted with Mariah via email. She told me Matt designed the X1 specifically for his own use. I thought that was cool. Mariah couldn't have been nicer or more efficient.

I'm glad you like yours. I had the same experience after my first shave and those great shaves have continued. In fact, I used mine just yesterday. I already had a Timeless Ti Crown handle around so I'm using that in lieu of the Kronos and stand I bought along with it . It lightens it up a bit (around an ounce) and makes it just a bit more maneuverable for me.

My biggest problem was getting the blade installed properly. I'm getting it right most of the time but I did notice just today that the blade and top cap weren't oriented correctly after I cleaned and reassembled it. But it only took a few seconds to make the adjustment.

The X1 earned its way into my top razor list. I have to come up with a name for that top 7 list. In any event, continue to enjoy your X1. I know, I will.
I also exchanged emails with Mariah before I placed my order, and she was fantastic. Based on a decade of the original ATT R plate razor use, Mariah suggested the X1 or the SSRH head, and I ended up ordering both. The SSRH head (with the new Windsor top cap) has not arrived, but I am excited to give it a whirl! I also just recently ordered a selection of blades suggested by B&B members, so I'll have plenty of fun trying out all of the combinations. I'd imagine I will order a DE slant head from ATT and an open comb variant. Variety is the spice of life, and I am thoroughly pleased with my ATT razors!

One of the things I love about my original ATT razor and the X1 is the weight. I also prefer a shorter handle. However, the 3.5" handle works wonderfully with the wider SE head of the X1. I use a relatively loose grip low on the handle and let the razor's weight do most of the work. I find that technique allows me to maneuver the razor easily and provides the right amount of pressure against my face. I have used lighter razors like my vintage Gillette Adjustable Fat Boy and enjoy the shave and adjust to less weight without issue. However, one of the aspects of the ATT razors that I love is the heft.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have mine set up with the Timeless Ti Crown handle. I still think of David (this one: @never-stop-learning ) every time I use a razor with that Ti Crown handle on it. As I've mentioned previously, that's where I first saw one.... before I started reading reviews about Timeless razors in general... I saw David using different handles on various razors including the beautiful and functional Ti Crown.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have mine set up with the Timeless Ti Crown handle. I still think of David (this one: @never-stop-learning ) every time I use a razor with that Ti Crown handle on it. As I've mentioned previously, that's where I first saw one.... before I started reading reviews about Timeless razors in general... I saw David using different handles on various razors including the beautiful and functional Ti Crown.

Same here. ;)
The Ti Crown is an outstanding handle. :cool:

Just used the X1 today for the first time, stock atlas handle with Proline P-30 blade. Barrister and Mann vespers soap/aftershave, TurnNShave Quartermoon brush.

Excellent shave. Was in a slight rush. One pass XTG/ATG, buffing the whole way. Missed a whisker or two on my left chin but not surprised with just one pass. Very close, very smooth the whole way. No aggression to speak of. Much lighter than my gen 1 colonial general in stainless steel, seemed a bit more efficient as well, I didn’t notice the blade as much either. More efficient than my normal daily driver, Blackland Sabre with ptfe coated stainless blades. Comfort seemed similar. My neck is my usual trouble spot, almost always have a few weepers there due to how the whiskers grow. None this morning. Might be a fluke. Might be that I’m going to absolutely love this razor. Time will tell.

Shave two today with the X1 and Feather Pro were fantastic! There is little doubt that the X1 is milder than my original ATT R plate DE razor, but I feel like I get a closer shave without any knicks, cuts, or irritation. If I were to guess, I don't think I'll get more than four shaves from a blade, but I will keep at it to find out. The razor is so smooth it feels like it isn't doing a very good job, but once I am finished, the shave is as close as any I've experienced. Despite the wider head, I am able t get spots near my ear, under my jawline, and my upper lip, easier and cleaner than my DE ATT. Today I used SV 70th soap, which clogged the razor more than MWF, but not in a way that hindered performance. Even though this was only my second shave with the razor, it felt very familiar, and it was effortless to maneuver. A half inch of handle length isn't much, and eventually, I will try the razor with my shorter Atlas handle, but the balance of the Calypso and X1 is fantastic!

Yesterday was my third shave with the X1 and a Feather Pro. I expected a drop-off in performance, but the shave was as close as the first two. Since I had a few days of growth, there were some spots where I applied a bit more pressure but experienced no nicks or cuts. I was even able to shave the difficult area below my jawline on my upper neck ATG, something I usually avoid. I do not lather twice, so getting great results from ATG with the residue from D R Harris Windsor was unexpected. Occasionally I'll use more lather for a touch-up, but I am a bit lazy when it comes to a full second lather and never make a complete second pass. Under typical circumstances, I achieve an extremely close shave with solid technique and a single pass, and the X1 has stepped that result up nicely!

I got 9 or 10 shaves from a Feather Pro blade which was shocking, and I probably could have kept going. I am extremely impressed by the blade's longevity. I have one shave with a Shick P-30, and it was great, but I didn't notice much difference from the Feather blade. Today I received a pack of Feather Super blades to round out the comparison. The X-1 is an excellent razor!

Had my first shave yesterday with the x1. Smoother and milder than the vector. The vector is the only SE I have to compare it to and I haven’t had it for too long. Reading threads like this urged me to get the x1.
I used a Kai MG blade at first(3rd use) since that is what I had used used in the vector. Too mild. It took too many strokes to cut so I swapped it for a Kai captain. Much better but was mild and smooth. Efficiency was less (a little below Med) than the vector with the mg guarded blade but I still need more time. It is not menacing at all. No cuts but some slight irritation above chin area where I am prone to get it. Likely due to repeated strokes with first blade. I need more time to dial in the angle and eventually try a more aggressive blade. We’ll see.
Overall good first experience but a touch milder/less efficient than what I expected by reading reviews.

Had my first shave yesterday with the x1. Smoother and milder than the vector. The vector is the only SE I have to compare it to and I haven’t had it for too long. Reading threads like this urged me to get the x1.
I used a Kai MG blade at first(3rd use) since that is what I had used used in the vector. Too mild. It took too many strokes to cut so I swapped it for a Kai captain. Much better but was mild and smooth. Efficiency was less (a little below Med) than the vector with the mg guarded blade but I still need more time. It is not menacing at all. No cuts but some slight irritation above chin area where I am prone to get it. Likely due to repeated strokes with first blade. I need more time to dial in the angle and eventually try a more aggressive blade. We’ll see.
Overall good first experience but a touch milder/less efficient than what I expected by reading reviews.
The X1 is definitely milder than the Vector and a tad smoother as you stated….spot on. I find the guarded blades too mild as well. I prefer the Proline to anything I’ve tried to date in both the X1 and Vector.

Both great razors that provide way different shave experiences. Thanks for your review. I believe you’ll find the X1 comes along after a few uses. Took me some time to get used to it.

The X1 is definitely milder than the Vector and a tad smoother as you stated….spot on. I find the guarded blades too mild as well. I prefer the Proline to anything I’ve tried to date in both the X1 and Vector.

Both great razors that provide way different shave experiences. Thanks for your review. I believe you’ll find the X1 comes along after a few uses. Took me some time to get used to it.
Appreciated. I will get a pack of prolines on my next order.

Top Bottom