What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

Have managed to accumulate a variety of ATT razors, parts and pieces. Here is what I've got so far:

Windsor H1-SB (head only)
Windsor Pro (complete razor)
CH1 Copper .91mm High Efficiency Baseplate
CR1 Copper .58mm Regular Efficiency Baseplate
Calypso Copper Handle (x2)

All of these parts and pieces are compatible and interchangeable, the Windsor Pro and Copper baseplates are slightly longer than the H1 head and cover the blade tabs.

20210202_102259~2.jpg
20210202_102112~2.jpg

So far, I have shaved with the Windsor Pro (mild), the Windsor Pro Mixed (CH1 Copper Baseplate - High Efficiency) and the Windsor Pro Mixed (CR1 Copper Baseplate - Medium Efficiency). All three provide excellent shaves. 👍

Just having some fun. 😎

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday's shave:

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro (ATT Copper CH1 Baseplate)
Blade: Silver Star (1)
shave 20210201_202052_2.jpg

Replacing the standard baseplate on the ATT Windsor Pro with the ATT Copper CH1 baseplate transforms the razor from a polite, mellow razor into a high efficiency 'Big Dog'. Not aggressive, very efficient and effective. A superb shave! :)

I purchased an ATT on the B&B forums. I believe it was a gift and the owner only used it once, if at all. The seller didn’t know anything about it, but the price was too good to waffle.
I believe it is a Windsor with an M1 head, and a colossus handle. I know the M1 is mild, but with an efficient blade I can easily obtain an ultra smooth BBS.
I must admit that it’s been ignored as I have spent a lot of time experimenting in the vintage razor rabbit hole.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very nice. I bought a copper ATT handle and I'd like to assemble a mixed metal razor head to go with it. Really like copper kit.

I can take no credit for the idea: ATT sells the 'Windsor Mixed Metal Stainless Steel & Copper Safety Razor' on their site. I picked up a used Windsor Pro on B-S-T and the Copper Plates and Handles on sale from the ATT site.

The Mixed Metal combinations (Stainless Windsor Pro plus Copper CH1 & CR1 plates) work together wonderfully.

Definitely a keeper. :cool:

Great idea. Switch and swap adds a lot of variety there. Might kill acquisition disorder 🥺

I think my RAD is incurable. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I purchased an ATT on the B&B forums. I believe it was a gift and the owner only used it once, if at all. The seller didn’t know anything about it, but the price was too good to waffle.
I believe it is a Windsor with an M1 head, and a colossus handle. I know the M1 is mild, but with an efficient blade I can easily obtain an ultra smooth BBS.
I must admit that it’s been ignored as I have spent a lot of time experimenting in the vintage razor rabbit hole.

ATT does seem to be overlooked. Their razors are extremely well made and are top flight shaving instruments. 👍

Anyone with a suggestion for a blade to use with my M1 head. I was going to go with Feather or Kai, but I’m always looking for something different that I haven’t tried yet.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Anyone with a suggestion for a blade to use with my M1 head. I was going to go with Feather or Kai, but I’m always looking for something different that I haven’t tried yet.
I do not have an ATT, but my favorite is Crystal, especially after the first shave when its sharpness really shines. I love it in my AS-D2, and an ATT of this sort might be the razor that could convince me to get another razor.

I do not have an ATT, but my favorite is Crystal, especially after the first shave when its sharpness really shines. I love it in my AS-D2, and an ATT of this sort might be the razor that could convince me to get another razor.
I just tossed a Crystal today after 4 uses. Its first shave was in my ATT M1...very nice. I’m just looking for something new. I have a couple of every blade sold on “try a blade” or “razor blade club”. Whatever... I have pretty much any blade someone might mention. It’s either that or I reach in with my eyes closed and suffer whatever comes out.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can take no credit for the idea: ATT sells the 'Windsor Mixed Metal Stainless Steel & Copper Safety Razor' on their site. I picked up a used Windsor Pro on B-S-T and the Copper Plates and Handles on sale from the ATT site.

The Mixed Metal combinations (Stainless Windsor Pro plus Copper CH1 & CR1 plates) work together wonderfully.

Definitely a keeper. :cool:

I think my RAD is incurable. ;)
Yes, but RAD is only fatal if my lovely War Department has finally had enough!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I just tossed a Crystal today after 4 uses. Its first shave was in my ATT M1...very nice. I’m just looking for something new. I have a couple of every blade sold on “try a blade” or “razor blade club”. Whatever... I have pretty much any blade someone might mention. It’s either that or I reach in with my eyes closed and suffer whatever comes out.
Thanks for the report. In my Feather I have been getting extremely long life from Crystals. The one in there now is three days into its second month. No tugging and BBS. At twelve cents a blade it provides a decent payback, readily squandered elsewhere!

Thanks for the report. In my Feather I have been getting extremely long life from Crystals. The one in there now is three days into its second month. No tugging and BBS. At twelve cents a blade it provides a decent payback, readily squandered elsewhere!
Just a note. I didn’t toss the Crystal after 4 uses because it was getting dull. I normally toss my blades after 3 shaves however they feel. I rarely have a blade go for 4.

Luckily, my Bride has been very understanding where my various 'Acquisition Disorders' (shaving, audio, cigars for me and, lucky for me, jewelry and clothes for her ;)) are concerned. ;)
I know how that goes. My lovely wife seeing me pampering myself with my shaving gear everyday decided she should spend more time fixing herself up makeup wise to pamper herself. Long story short I bought her a vanity table w/stool and a lighted mirror. So far she has been very understanding of my hobby. I would like to keep it that way!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I know how that goes. My lovely wife seeing me pampering myself with my shaving gear everyday decided she should spend more time fixing herself up makeup wise to pamper herself. Long story short I bought her a vanity table w/stool and a lighted mirror. So far she has been very understanding of my hobby. I would like to keep it that way!

A wise and prudent path forward. 😎

Top Bottom