What's new

Above The Tie and Badger & Blade

As most of you know Above The Tie (ATT) is closing. Tomorrow will be the last day of operations. Over the years ATT experienced exceptional growth and success. We were honored to have been interviewed by everyone from Sharpologist to Forbes. Pioneering various razor innovations and offerings were happily greeted by wet shavers around the world. In addition, we became known for providing outstanding customer service. However, some may not know the relationship with Badger & Blade in the early days of ATT which led to the development of our first stainless razor "Titan."

Before ATT was born I flipped vintage razors on eBay -- a lot of razors. In time, my son-in-law Matt and I formed a partnership, and Above The Tie was born. We sold a lot of various shaving supplies including razors from Edwin Jagger and Merkur. However, I never lost my love for the early Gillette razor designs.

After a couple of years I decided to design our own razors from stainless steel. But what did modern shavers want from a quality razor? This is where ATT and the B&B community came together. I had been a B&B member since 2009 so I started asking members what they would expect from a new three piece razor. Well, the response was amazing! I got a lot of comments about what they did not like about modern razors. Specifically, poor quality and the lack of flexibility were overwhelming complaints.

With this input I set out to meld the need for improved quality and performance with a timeless design. Years later customers at trade shows would tell me they could spot an ATT razor simply by its "industrial design style." In addition, they would comment on the interchangeable plates which they described as a "fixed adjustable." After much collaboration with a machine shop and my insistence on important details, our razor design was set. Finally, the day came when I had received our first prototype razor. It was made with a nod to vintage design and a fixation on quality, flexibility and tight machining tolerances.

I remember using it for the first time. I could assemble and disassemble it with ease. The head geometry blade gap, blade exposure and blade symmetry were spot on. After my first shave I was thrilled, but did we have a razor others would like? It needed to be tested by non biased users. That's when I turned to B&B again. This time I introduced the razor prototype including photos and asked for volunteers form B&B. The response was very good and I choose six B&B members to receive a razor for trial. It was a gamble. But I was so confident in the quality and performance of the razor that I informed the guys to use the razors and then post their impressions on B&B without any comments from me.

As they say, the rest is history. The razor was a hit! The name was changed to the Kronos H1 and it was a part of Above The Tie's razor offerings for years. I recall one of the pro-type user's name was Gary, but I have lost the list of the original users and reviewers. Now you know the back story of a special time where a community of wet shavers worked with a small family business in Tennessee to do something special.

Thank you Badger & Blade and those early members who made Above The Tie's story possible.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Stan,

Thank you for "The rest of the story", so to speak.

I'm too new to the traditional wet shaving community to have met you. I was introduced to your razors here on B&B. I got the X1 AC Slant and loved it. During the process leading up to the purchase, I chatted via email with Mariah and through her, Matt. They are excellent people: caring, conscientious, helpful... I could go on.

As a result of that relationship, I've added a couple other razors, both DE and DE Slant, etc. And your folding leather traveling case is amazing. I bought several of them for gifts when the occasions arise.

Anyway, I'm very sorry to see ATT close up shop. I hope you have a great retirement.... and that Mariah and Matt have success in any future endeavors.

Stan,

Thank you for "The rest of the story", so to speak.

I'm too new to the traditional wet shaving community to have met you. I was introduced to your razors here on B&B. I got the X1 AC Slant and loved it. During the process leading up to the purchase, I chatted via email with Mariah and through her, Matt. They are excellent people: caring, conscientious, helpful... I could go on.

As a result of that relationship, I've added a couple other razors, both DE and DE Slant, etc. And your folding leather traveling case is amazing. I bought several of them for gifts when the occasions arise.

Anyway, I'm very sorry to see ATT close up shop. I hope you have a great retirement.... and that Mariah and Matt have success in any future endeavors.
Thank you.

As most of you know Above The Tie (ATT) is closing. Tomorrow will be the last day of operations. Over the years ATT experienced exceptional growth and success. We were honored to have been interviewed by everyone from Sharpologist to Forbes. Pioneering various razor innovations and offerings were happily greeted by wet shavers around the world. In addition, we became known for providing outstanding customer service. However, some may not know the relationship with Badger & Blade in the early days of ATT which led to the development of our first stainless razor "Titan."

Before ATT was born I flipped vintage razors on eBay -- a lot of razors. In time, my son-in-law Matt and I formed a partnership, and Above The Tie was born. We sold a lot of various shaving supplies including razors from Edwin Jagger and Merkur. However, I never lost my love for the early Gillette razor designs.

After a couple of years I decided to design our own razors from stainless steel. But what did modern shavers want from a quality razor? This is where ATT and the B&B community came together. I had been a B&B member since 2009 so I started asking members what they would expect from a new three piece razor. Well, the response was amazing! I got a lot of comments about what they did not like about modern razors. Specifically, poor quality and the lack of flexibility were overwhelming complaints.

With this input I set out to meld the need for improved quality and performance with a timeless design. Years later customers at trade shows would tell me they could spot an ATT razor simply by its "industrial design style." In addition, they would comment on the interchangeable plates which they described as a "fixed adjustable." After much collaboration with a machine shop and my insistence on important details, our razor design was set. Finally, the day came when I had received our first prototype razor. It was made with a nod to vintage design and a fixation on quality, flexibility and tight machining tolerances.

I remember using it for the first time. I could assemble and disassemble it with ease. The head geometry blade gap, blade exposure and blade symmetry were spot on. After my first shave I was thrilled, but did we have a razor others would like? It needed to be tested by non biased users. That's when I turned to B&B again. This time I introduced the razor prototype including photos and asked for volunteers form B&B. The response was very good and I choose six B&B members to receive a razor for trial. It was a gamble. But I was so confident in the quality and performance of the razor that I informed the guys to use the razors and then post their impressions on B&B without any comments from me.

As they say, the rest is history. The razor was a hit! The name was changed to the Kronos H1 and it was a part of Above The Tie's razor offerings for years. I recall one of the pro-type user's name was Gary, but I have lost the list of the original users and reviewers. Now you know the back story of a special time where a community of wet shavers worked with a small family business in Tennessee to do something special.

Thank you Badger & Blade and those early members who made Above The Tie's story possible.
Thank you for proving us crazy wet shavers with great products and service. I have several ATT razors and they all perform very well.

I will use my Windsor tomorrow as a salute to your last day of operation. You guys will be missed. Enjoy your retirement.

Thank you for the start of a wonderful revolution in the next level of precision shaving tools..

Above The Tie was my first high value CNC milled stainless steel razor. It was high and mighty to other popular offerings, light years ahead.

I've bought what I could over the years.

The products you've made will keep us fanboys carry forward for the nexr couple of generations at B&B

Today is early AM on 30th my time zone and I used the original copper razor for my SOTD.

20230630_074944.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thank you, Stan. :)

Prayers sent for your health and happiness. 🙏

Thank you Stan for the great designs and work in creating fantastic razors. The SE1 and copper Windsor H are among my most favorite of razors. I wish you and your family health and success in your future endeavors. All the best!

Thank you for proving us crazy wet shavers with great products and service. I have several ATT razors and they all perform very well.

I will use my Windsor tomorrow as a salute to your last day of operation. You guys will be missed. Enjoy your retirement.
Glad you are enjoying your ATT razors. Thanks for the Kind gesture on ATT's last day.

Thank you for the start of a wonderful revolution in the next level of precision shaving tools..

Above The Tie was my first high value CNC milled stainless steel razor. It was high and mighty to other popular offerings, light years ahead.

I've bought what I could over the years.

The products you've made will keep us fanboys carry forward for the nexr couple of generations at B&B

Today is early AM on 30th my time zone and I used the original copper razor for my SOTD.

View attachment 1678874
Thank you for being so supportive.

Thank you, Stan. R2 and S2 in my rotation.

ATT pioneered the way for the present day explosion of artisan razors. And gave Chinese manufacturers some food for thought.

The ATT razors will be around as long (or longer) as the vintage Gillette 3 piece razors. They will just be a little harder to find.
You are most welcome. I wonder if I will see them showing up on ebay as a collectable. LOL

I'm glad ATT is part of my den. I have a stainless DE with several base plates, an outstanding aluminum DE and the very good GEM razor from a few years ago. I just hope when my grandson is old enough he'll understand how precious these things are.

Top Bottom