What's new

Fortune Article About Shaving Trends and...Us!

The problem with the carts and ellectric shavers is that if you let your wiskers grow more then 2 days then it becomes almost too painfull to shave with then you need to use a cliper to mow down your wiskers. I love that my DE can destroy my 5 day old wiskers.

I shave daily...I can't stand going a day without shaving.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wouldnt it be amazing if Gillette released a new line of DE razors based of the vintage Gillettes? :drool:

They would be certain to make it out of plastic er-- excuse me-- modern high-tech space age polycarbonate-- so that it would not last 90 years. The whole corporate model is about maximizing profits and NOT selling a quality, lasting product. They despise us. We are just the ignorant masses. They kiss the derrieres (can I use that other word here?) of the stockholders and if we don't like their product they hire marketing guys to make us like it. I wonder if Boker ever had a TV commercial? And speaking of marketing, the ad guys would insist on a "new and improved" DE that would scarcely resemble the old, crude, obsolete ones that they replaced with the Trac II so many years ago. To actually make a new FatBoy or Super Adjustable or Slim would never happen.

That is one of the few weaknesses of the corporate model of business. A privately held business has it in its best interests to be mindful of the customer's needs, and make a superior product. P&G would fire the CEO who tried to bring back the Tech or SuperSpeed. Possibly even the board of directors would take him to court for gross mismanagement and operating contrary to the best interests of the corporation. They don't care about us. We are merely millions of small sources of money that must be harvested repeatedly and continuously.

Wouldnt it be amazing if Gillette released a new line of DE razors based of the vintage Gillettes? :drool:

Let me give my opinion on how it could very well happen, with a single photo.

Dodge Charger, 2012

$2012-dodge-charger-srt8.jpg

I find it interesting Gillette suddenly talks about how long a cartridge will last. It's like a guilt complex because of the cost. "Sure, we make you pay a lot for the cartridge, but look how long it lasts!"
Despite the comments in the article, has anyone gone a whole month on one cartridge? We're talking daily shaving here; not a teen who does it twice a week.

Very interesting article.

When I was using cartridges I would switch every Saturday. There's no way I would try and go a month on a cart. If I had to push one, 2 weeks tops and even then it would be a very uncomfortable few days near the end.

Here's a fascinating article about shaving trends, marketing, and where it's going. It gives a brief mention about this place and confirms what we already know about SE and DE shaving. Be warned, the page takes a long time to load.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/07/gillette-razor-lifespan/

(My apologies if this has already been discussed in here.)

Comments, please.

I think yes. They can even take legal action or something similar if the community grows..

I asked a similar question a few days ago...whether the big co's would ever try to est a niche in our market...some good answers. As posted, P&G bought Art of Shaving but that may be the only nod to us. Perhaps, and, remember folks you read it here first, AOS will proffer a DE adjustable some day...but look closely as it will have "made in China" somewhere on the razor...a joint venture with Weishi probably would not risk much and be tempting for Weishi to lift their prospects. But, hey, if companies like Muhle, EJ, and Merkur can manage turn a profit, maybe we will see more small DE manufacturers like Weber step up with something in the $30 to $70 price range. Meanwhile, get your Fatboys while they last, friends...and please ditch the canned goo. Good old Roman technology (ie olive oil) will give you a better shave.

Meh.

While they have some good products made by other outfits for them, the real soul of Art of Shaving is the $450 glowing Fusion and electric twirly badger brush set.

That's P&G's idea of a great traditional shave. The safety razors and straights are just a bone thrown to the oddballs who resist the spores that P&G has launched to lure them in to the Fusion pods.

I mean, what sort of ad campaign would there be for the re-introduction of the Super Speed...."The New Super Speed Safety Razor....because we screwed up in 1972 and we're tired of ripping you off".

That'll get some young P&G marketing hotdog a big, fat bonus for sure.

BTW, Kip, the car analogy is brilliant.

I shaved with a fusion before, and there's no way a single cartridge would last 5 weeks. I don't know if that guy had laser surgery to remove all the hair follicles in his face or what, but in my experience they started getting dull/dirty by the end of the second week, and that's not even shaving daily. Half of the reason I switched to DE shaving is because the fusion would irritate my face, causing me to not shave until the irritation died down. By then my facial hair would have grown out to the point that the fusion would be utterly incapable of tackling it, and I'd need to use a trimmer just to prepare my facial hair for shaving - hardly a quick and easy process. And then once I did shave, I'd get the irritation again anyway, and the fusion cartridge would only last two weeks. So all in all, I have no idea how they were able to milk 5 weeks from one.

I thought the Fusion was five blades, not six. I wouldn't know because I only use one blade and have never used a Fusion. Back in my Mach3 days I would never try to get more than 2 weeks out of a cart and I was an every other day shaver back then.

I thought the Fusion was five blades, not six. I wouldn't know because I only use one blade and have never used a Fusion. Back in my Mach3 days I would never try to get more than 2 weeks out of a cart and I was an every other day shaver back then.

It's both 5, and 6 blades at the same time. :lol::lol:

If you don't count the trimmer blade on the back of the cartridge, it's five blades, if you count the trimmer blade, then it's six blades. :biggrin1:

I shaved with a fusion before, and there's no way a single cartridge would last 5 weeks. I don't know if that guy had laser surgery to remove all the hair follicles in his face or what, but in my experience they started getting dull/dirty by the end of the second week, and that's not even shaving daily. Half of the reason I switched to DE shaving is because the fusion would irritate my face, causing me to not shave until the irritation died down. By then my facial hair would have grown out to the point that the fusion would be utterly incapable of tackling it, and I'd need to use a trimmer just to prepare my facial hair for shaving - hardly a quick and easy process. And then once I did shave, I'd get the irritation again anyway, and the fusion cartridge would only last two weeks. So all in all, I have no idea how they were able to milk 5 weeks from one.

I beg to differ. I could stretch Fusion blades to around 6 weeks regularly. Couldn't afford the dang things any other way. I'd bet my last cartridge in each pack actually made 2 months every time because I'd put off buying them for so long. I wasn't a daily shaver, but at least 4-5 shaves per week with thick whiskers.

Let's not be confused, they weren't comfortable or real effective after about week 3, but scrape on I would.

I had the Fusion vibrating power unit that seemed to require a lighter touch than the non-power models. See, YMMV even applies to carts.

Gents and ladies, don't forget that if you have no basis for what is a quality shave, you can go a long time with a multi blade cartridge and not know what it is that you are missing. Prior to learning about other shave methods, I used Mach3 and Fusion for shaving. I always assumed that it should burn when you shave, that the growth should appear a few hours later, and that tugging was a sign that it was working. Now that I know what a good shave feels like, I can not imagine using a multi blade for more then three shaves before chucking it because of the bad feelings of a used multi blade cartridge.

I wholly believe that there are people that use a Fusion cart for weeks at a time, but they probably care more for the quantity of shave then the quality of them.

Gents and ladies, don't forget that if you have no basis for what is a quality shave, you can go a long time with a multi blade cartridge and not know what it is that you are missing. Prior to learning about other shave methods, I used Mach3 and Fusion for shaving. I always assumed that it should burn when you shave, that the growth should appear a few hours later, and that tugging was a sign that it was working. Now that I know what a good shave feels like, I can not imagine using a multi blade for more then three shaves before chucking it because of the bad feelings of a used multi blade cartridge.

I wholly believe that there are people that use a Fusion cart for weeks at a time, but they probably care more for the quantity of shave then the quality of them.

Very true.

I have an overnight work trip in St. Louis coming up and since I probably won't be able to take DE blades on the plane, I guess I'll try the Fusion for the first time since December. Glad I didn't finish off the last few cartridges.

Top Bottom