What's new

Fortune Article About Shaving Trends and...Us!

I don't think it's fair to make assertions based on a sample size consisting of members of this forum. Most here seem to get ingrowns and razor burn if the wind blows in the wrong direction. I kid. But most people have no problems shaving daily what so ever using cartridges and gel. I've used just that for years and got great shaves in record time. Heck I still use edge shave gel with a feather AS. I only switched because I was bored and have money to experiment. This brings me to another point, most people can afford the prices of cartridge razors. Just look at all the money being spent on AD's. It's the minority that have shaving problems and or are in financial constraints so bad that even disposables become difficult to purchase.

And the whole 5 weeks a blade is completely true for the most part. Back in college you would be lucky if we changed out our bed sheets let alone our razor blades every 5 weeks. (girls didn't seem to know or maybe didn't mind)

Again not all but surely most do just fine with the latest and greatest from Gillette. In real world situations no one talks about shaving because there is nothing to talk about.

Very true.

I have an overnight work trip in St. Louis coming up and since I probably won't be able to take DE blades on the plane, I guess I'll try the Fusion for the first time since December. Glad I didn't finish off the last few cartridges.

Took the trip and the Fusion re-visit plunge. I used CO Bigelow cream and my brush. I took all that I have learned about shave technique and applied it to the Fusion.

Results were quite good. No pressure and three passes later I was real close to BBS. It seemed to shave a tad easier than DE, but certainly wasn't more enjoyable. If I need a close shave for some reason in the future, I'd feel comfortable that I could achieve it with the Fusion.

My verdict: technique and prep rules the day.

Wow, I can't believe they have the nerve to say that their prices are on par with their competitors. Yeah, price for an actual package of cartridges maybe, but what they don't mention is that you get half as many for the same price. It's a complete scam. Just 6 or 7 years ago I was paying $18 for an 8-pack of M3 Power cartridges. Somewhere along the way, Gillette decided that it was okay to give us half the cartridges for the same price. I didn't even really notice it until a few months ago. I wonder why so many people are okay with this blatant rip-off.

Also, I would pay money to see someone try to shave for five weeks with a single Fusion cartridge. I have fairly light facial hair and I used to use the Fusion. I'd be pushing it if I went to 10 shaves with it, and by that point it was giving me a very uncomfortable shave.

Also, I would pay money to see someone try to shave for five weeks with a single Fusion cartridge. I have fairly light facial hair and I used to use the Fusion. I'd be pushing it if I went to 10 shaves with it, and by that point it was giving me a very uncomfortable shave.

Gents and ladies, don't forget that if you have no basis for what is a quality shave, you can go a long time with a multi blade cartridge and not know what it is that you are missing .....
....Now that I know what a good shave feels like, I can not imagine using a multi blade for more then three shaves before chucking it because of the bad feelings of a used multi blade cartridge.

I wholly believe that there are people that use a Fusion cart for weeks at a time, but they probably care more for the quantity of shave then the quality of them.

How much money are you thinking it'd be worth? :a30:

Not sure I could still do it knowing what a shave should/can feel like. And the better question: Is a quick one pass glide over really a shave anyway?

Hmmm... is Gillette contradicting themselves (again)?

Exhibit A - The round-the-world advertisement says you get five weeks out of a blade.

Exhibit B - If I recall correctly, the instructions on their cartridges said to replace the cart whenever the little-colored-slick-strip was worn down. For me, that was just a few days.

Maybe they consider a disparity of a factor a 10 or so to just be a rounding error.

also i wouldnt fancy shaving with a fusion for 5 weeks
what a joke how many shaves was that probably 1 a fortnight

Again not all but surely most do just fine with the latest and greatest from Gillette. In real world situations no one talks about shaving because there is nothing to talk about.
And a lot of people do more than fine with DE shaving, where a blade is 10 cents, not $3.50.

Top Bottom