What's new

First shave with the R41

the R41 is an excellent razor but as mentioned a good lather is a must. Apparently the earlier versions of this razor is where the bad rep came from
This is very true. The 2011 edition, which I rarely use and only when I am in the dare devil mode of shaving, is far more dangerous than the 2013 edition. Having said that, if one were very careful, slow, and paying zen like attention, the 2011 version can supply a closer shave. But who these days has the time? And what are a couple of more hours of no stubble really worth? I find the 2013 version much more pleasurable to use. Still, a certain amount of attention and respect are required of this razor IMHO. I use my Faux Tortoise handle with either version.

This is very true. The 2011 edition, which I rarely use and only when I am in the dare devil mode of shaving, is far more dangerous than the 2013 edition. Having said that, if one were very careful, slow, and paying zen like attention, the 2011 version can supply a closer shave. But who these days has the time? And what are a couple of more hours of no stubble really worth? I find the 2013 version much more pleasurable to use. Still, a certain amount of attention and respect are required of this razor IMHO. I use my Faux Tortoise handle with either version.

got to get my r41 out for a ride, its been a while so curious to see how it performs.. will be interesting to see if my thoughts have changed on it

I am now the fortunate owner of the R41 GS (grande version, stainless steel).

It seems that for me, the added weight of the head and large handle improves the performance of the R41 design. I had 2 days growth and the R41 GS gave me a near-perfect, smooth, and irritation-free BBS shave in 2 passes.

I used Proraso white pre-shave, Cella almond lather, and the blade was an RK Stainless on its 2nd use.

It was a "wow" performance for sure!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would love some more texture and grip for the handle. The polishing doesn't make the handle better in this regard, rather the contrary.

It seems to me that the knurling on the R41 GS handle is more for aesthetics than grip, but the grip seems fine to me when I use it.

I just looked. Even the stainless steel R41 is $150+.... aren't there better razors out there at that price point? The Karve Overlander comes to mind.
I would love some more texture and grip for the handle. The polishing doesn't make the handle better in this regard, rather the contrary.
I agree with you concerning the handle. It actually feels more secure when wet and with a little alum block on my fingers it feels very secure.

the R41 is an excellent razor but as mentioned a good lather is a must. Apparently the earlier versions of this razor is where the bad rep came from
Agree with you at both claims :) although I've just used 2013+ version (well, bought in 2022 and received today, so can't tell if it's same as 2013 update or there were more modifications). Don't know where did the hype came from, but as for first tryout I've had a totaly fine shave, no nicks, irritations, whatever. Was surprised how intuitive it is to find angle and TBH - seemed much more comfortable vs. Fatip OC. Lucky shot?

My enablement - Sorry @Guido75
IMG_8633.JPG

Mühle seems to be good quality in their cast metal designs. Their handles are very nice IMO. If you're on the fence, I would definitely say to give the R41 a try. Some don't like it (they're wrong 😀), but I think it's an outstanding performer and a modern classic.

I got a R41 from a fellow B&B member. I was a bit intimidated by the R41's aggressive reputation but decided to use it for this morning's shave to see what would happen.

I used careful pre-shave preparation: I used Proraso pre-shave and ensured I had really good lather with Proraso white soap. The blade was an Astra Superior Platinum on its 2nd use.

With careful zero pressure strokes this razor provided me an irritation-free and nick-free close shave in 2.5 passes.

I can see why a lot of people like this razor. For me, the R41's shave angle is quite intuitive and does it's job with very good efficiency.

I feel like I have "arrived" after using the R41 so successfully. I could see how this razor could cause irritation and/or nicks with insufficient prep or poor technique, but with good prep and technique this razor can provided me a very close and comfortable shave.
Yeah, but who wants to be that careful. It's shaving after all, not brain surgery. (Glad you like it though.)

That was just for the inaugural shave. Now the R41 actually feels pretty natural. The main rule is: "No pressure." I like steep and the R41 works well steep. It just plain works for me and is very efficient! Great razor IMO.

First thing I did when I got the GS model was to change the handle, I just wasn't able to get a grip on it, not to mention that it's too long and heavy. Been using it every day for over a year and I am pretty sure that it's going to be a life long partner.
Daily shaves with an R41 is impressive. I can string together a week or so but then, inevitably, I fancy a change to something less blade-feely.

Agree with you at both claims :) although I've just used 2013+ version (well, bought in 2022 and received today, so can't tell if it's same as 2013 update or there were more modifications). Don't know where did the hype came from, but as for first tryout I've had a totaly fine shave, no nicks, irritations, whatever. Was surprised how intuitive it is to find angle and TBH - seemed much more comfortable vs. Fatip OC. Lucky shot?
For all the perceived peril, the R41 has a huge angle sweet spot (which is rare) so it suits a wide range of angle preferences. This in turn allows many to get a very efficient, low irritation shave.

Top Bottom