What's new

First shave with the R41

I think I will pick up the rose one further down the line. Looks amazing. Always good to have a spare head too. I've dropped so many!

Well, as a Muhle's rosegold handle owner, must admit it is more coppery-redish, not like girly-rose gold jewelry. I recon it might age nicely and fade away as being used, but still very nice looking, wide enough for hold, beautiful to look at...

img_20220218_185029-jpg.1411969

I decided to just order the head from Amazon. If it works for me, I have plenty of handles. If it doesn't, I know where to return it. ;)
Actually, I cancelled the head because I found the complete razor with the tortoise handle at Muhle Shaving and with a coupon I had, my shipped cost was $10 more for the complete razor.

Are the R41 and R89 handles the same? I assume they are. Reason being I have found this. I don't have a R89, just the R41 head. Getting this might make sense.

Are the R41 and R89 handles the same? I assume they are. Reason being I have found this. I don't have a R89, just the R41 head. Getting this might make sense.

As good a price on that as I've seen. Key is shipping cost. I believe the handles for the R89 and R41 are the same. Easy enough to confirm. I plan to try the R41 head (ordered with the tortoise handle) on my Jagger DE89. Should fit fine.

As good a price on that as I've seen. Key is shipping cost. I believe the handles for the R89 and R41 are the same. Easy enough to confirm. I plan to try the R41 head (ordered with the tortoise handle) on my Jagger DE89. Should fit fine.
Thank you. I am UK based so it is £30 all in. I was going to get the Rose R41 eventually because I enjoyed the R41 head so much (on a DE89 also which fit fine by the way). This deal seems a win win instead.

Thank you. I am UK based so it is £30 all in. I was going to get the Rose R41 eventually because I enjoyed the R41 head so much (on a DE89 also which fit fine by the way). This deal seems a win win instead.
I do like the mix and match aspect between those three lines. I'm awaiting an R95 birch Rocca from Ireland. Said to sit between the 89 and 41 in terms of aggressiveness. I wonder if the Rocca handles work on the 89 and 41??

I do like the mix and match aspect between those three lines. I'm awaiting an R95 birch Rocca from Ireland. Said to sit between the 89 and 41 in terms of aggressiveness. I wonder if the Rocca handles work on the 89 and 41??
I own all three. Although it is between the R89 and R41, I'd say it is a bit closer to the R89 than to the R41.

Reactions: CCS
Are the handles interchangeable between all three?
Just checked. The handle of the R41 fits the Rocca and vise versa. One thing though. The Rocca handle has this very sharp edge on top which would easily destroy the chrome on the ZAMAK R41/R89 head. So I would strongly advise a silicone or plastic M5 washer.

BTW, I called muhleshaving.com this morning and they told me Muhle says all of its razors are "aggressive"!?!
Yeah, right! :lol: Their R89 is so mild I can't get a BBS with it. Heck, I get a closer shave with the 50s/60s/70s Techs which are very very mild.

I wouldn't say the Rocca v 4 (the current one) is aggressive. It just leaves you with the impression of aggressive razor because of the way it clamps the blade. Otherwise not that aggressive.

Reactions: CCS
Just checked. The handle of the R41 fits the Rocca and vise versa. One thing though. The Rocca handle has this very sharp edge on top which would easily destroy the chrome on the ZAMAK R41/R89 head. So I would strongly advise a silicone or plastic M5 washer.

Yeah, right! :lol: Their R89 is so mild I can't get a BBS with it. Heck, I get a closer shave with the 50s/60s/70s Techs which are very very mild.

I wouldn't say the Rocca v 4 (the current one) is aggressive. It just leaves you with the impression of aggressive razor because of the way it clamps the blade. Otherwise not that aggressive.
Thanks for the further info. I don't see using the Rocca handle on most other razors anyway but good to know about the washer trick.

Yes - Mühle handles are interchangeable between the R89 and R41 (apologies if this has already been stated). In fact, since we're on the topic of Rosegold; this is an R89 Cap mated to the R41 base for a touch more blade feel :001_wub:

img_8633-jpg.1535167

As much as I love the Rose handle, I like the Grande just that much more; though I prefer wood overall
1A1F45AF-32B3-4E19-A9ED-37A22782A8AF.jpeg

It took time (months) for me to achieve BBS with the R89. Now that I have it honed in, it's all day every day; almost autopilot for me. Like every razor, it was a matter of finding the optimal blade pairing. I believe I went through 26 distinct blades before narrowing it down to Iridiums, Personna Platinums, or the Minora SS which do it for me.

I could always use another handle...

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm surprised how difficult it is to find somewhere that sells just handles.
Maggards, Italian Barber, ATT, Karve, Razor Emporium all sell just handles, along with lots of other shaving items. I'm pretty sure you can buy just a handle from Wolfman if you are willing to wait.

~doug~

Top Bottom