What's new

First shave with the R41

I got a R41 from a fellow B&B member. I was a bit intimidated by the R41's aggressive reputation but decided to use it for this morning's shave to see what would happen.

I used careful pre-shave preparation: I used Proraso pre-shave and ensured I had really good lather with Proraso white soap. The blade was an Astra Superior Platinum on its 2nd use.

With careful zero pressure strokes this razor provided me an irritation-free and nick-free close shave in 2.5 passes.

I can see why a lot of people like this razor. For me, the R41's shave angle is quite intuitive and does it's job with very good efficiency.

I feel like I have "arrived" after using the R41 so successfully. I could see how this razor could cause irritation and/or nicks with insufficient prep or poor technique, but with good prep and technique this razor can provided me a very close and comfortable shave.

While the R41 looks like a rottweiler ready to cut you in pieces , in reality it is very well designed for a smooth shave. The only problem is that when i do a 3-pass shave i don't have any stubble to shave the next day :001_smile .
Fatip piccolo , ikon 104 are far more "aggressive" by my standards...and lets not forget the infamous Roedter 1909 - which is an entirely different animal.

IMG_20220730_132541.jpg

I got a R41 from a fellow B&B member. I was a bit intimidated by the R41's aggressive reputation but decided to use it for this morning's shave to see what would happen.

I used careful pre-shave preparation: I used Proraso pre-shave and ensured I had really good lather with Proraso white soap. The blade was an Astra Superior Platinum on its 2nd use.

With careful zero pressure strokes this razor provided me an irritation-free and nick-free close shave in 2.5 passes.

I can see why a lot of people like this razor. For me, the R41's shave angle is quite intuitive and does it's job with very good efficiency.

I feel like I have "arrived" after using the R41 so successfully. I could see how this razor could cause irritation and/or nicks with insufficient prep or poor technique, but with good prep and technique this razor can provided me a very close and comfortable shave.
Congratulations! Well done.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I like the R41, the R41 Twist a bit more. :)

But I really like the SLOC/R41 and Yintal/R41 Frankenrazors. :cool:
20220621_152819~2.jpg

20220611_093333~2.jpg

While the R41 looks like a rottweiler ready to cut you in pieces , in reality it is very well designed for a smooth shave. The only problem is that when i do a 3-pass shave i don't have any stubble to shave the next day :001_smile .
Fatip piccolo , ikon 104 are far more "aggressive" by my standards...and lets not forget the infamous Roedter 1909 - which is an entirely different animal.

View attachment 1501047
Did someone say "Roedter 1909"? ;)
20220603_154121~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yeah , i played for a while with that contraption , and experimented a bit with FrankenFatips - but as i said just for a while. After a couple of bloody shaves i realized that i want to shave more often than once a week :lol:
View attachment 1501118
Went six days in a row with the 1909:
Thread 'BOSC Warriors vs The Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan - Let The Battle Begin' BOSC Warriors vs The Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan - Let The Battle Begin - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/bosc-warriors-vs-the-scheermes-roedter-1909-titan-let-the-battle-begin.609465/

Great job @StewB and yes good lather and going slow are the trick in the beginning. It is a fairly intuitive razor and I do also feel it is my most aggressive by a stretch (I have other aggressive shavers as well). Almost like exfoliating my skin. I used it yesterday and my skin was sensitive to touch for a while. Stubble is back so I get to shave again this morning.

Like you said it feels like joining the big boys club right. Glad you had a great shave and got the real deal from the start as well. Uniquely designed, unique shaving experience.

Best,

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The R41 for sure teaches GOOD SHAVING HABITS.

Like careful and proper preparation/lathering before.
Like applying the right amount of pressure and feeling the blade.
Like being cautious.
Immediate feedback of the centurion in Life of Brian kind. (it's a fair beast, the R41 always gives plenty of warning, unlike the Wunderbar e g..)

It also gives glassy skin and you will feel if you overdid when applying after shave. I suggest alcoholic aftershave, balm is for sure not burning, but the sun is to shave in a way that even alcohol doesn't burn too much.

And once you got used to it, a lot of other razors feel mild and casually easy to use. ✌️

And then people tell you of lesser known monsters like the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant and the Ikon Tek. 😉

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Please forgive me but I don't want to buy a razor that challenges or proves my mettle.

I am a shaving coward, perhaps. The thing I like about my Claymore Evolution and now my British Flat Bottom Tech is.... they seem mild yet efficient. I have a very limited paradigm... just using two razors at this point. Both attack my whiskers and give me a "damn comfortable shave" (thanks @Chan Eil Whiskers) in two passes with some buffing.

Maybe my beard isn't as course and thick as I think it is. I can really only compare it to others I've seen. I can grow a full, complete beard in a couple weeks...I can look like a mountain man in 4 weeks, to give you an idea. ;)

Oh, and these days, Grizzly Adams. <eg>

Top Bottom