What's new

First shave with the R41

It seems to me the R41 is a really good design for an experienced DE shaver.

Another aggressive and efficient razor I like is the Col. Conk "Major." It also requires good prep and technique but provides a very good shave for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't find my R41 any more challenging than my FBT.

~doug~
That's one of my many problems. I have such limited experience. I have no problems at all shaving with the FBT. But I don't have enough experience to quantify much.

As is said, you don't know you don't know until you know.

I don't want a significant razor collection. I just want a few reliable and pleasant to use razors. I will have two vintage DEs in a few days... a total of 3 with two of them being the FBTs. That will be enough vintage razors for me. I think I'd like to add one modern DE razor after I use the FBT and the Raised Flat Bottom for a while. Then I'll have to figure out what I want in a modern DE. I'm doing a lot of reading, watching people compare their favorites with new ones they purchase. I have a few contenders, but I will have to figure what boxes other people are checking off and see if I have the same boxes.

I could just get a Rocnel Sailor and call it quits. If I buy two high end DEs, I'll already have invested enough to have purchased a Sailor from the beginning. I'm not in a rush on this one. I rushed to get by brush collection where I wanted and that's completed.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I could just get a Rocnel Sailor and call it quits.
There is another nice adjustable you might consider.
That will be enough vintage razors for me.
I just love my Executive.
20220808_083556[1].jpg

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-8-22.R41.GS.CanadaSS.SV.Tortoise.640.JPG

Today I used my stainless steel R41 GS. I've never understood why the R41 is regarded as aggressive. To me, it's a pretty smooth shaver used at a very steep angle. The only place I feel perhaps too much blade is on my upper lip going ATG which is for me S-N there.

A regular R41 head is maybe about $25 without the handle, and worth trying in my opinion.

I have the zamac version and the titanium version to complete the hat trick.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My R41 is the cast metal version. Mühle makes attractive razors. I have only used it once so far, but it was a great experience. I look forward to more great shaves with it!

View attachment 1501411

Today I used my stainless steel R41 GS. I've never understood why the R41 is regarded as aggressive. To me, it's a pretty smooth shaver used at a very steep angle. The only place I feel perhaps too much blade is on my upper lip going ATG which is for me S-N there.

A regular R41 head is maybe about $25 without the handle, and worth trying in my opinion.

I have the zamac version and the titanium version to complete the hat trick.

Happy shaves,

Jim

have you ever tried shaving while riding the cap? i have found this to be even smoother than a steep angle

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, the R41's shave angle is quite intuitive and does it's job with very good efficiency.
If it's touching your face it will cut whiskers. Pretty close to that anyway. I really like it.

I think it's a good razor for:
  • Those that like efficiency
  • Those that like a shave that has some blade feel
  • Those that like razor that has a wide sweet spot of cutting as opposed to say a Feather AS-D2
  • Those that like spackle lather (it won't even slow the R41 down)
  • Those that are pressed for time (I'm serious - once you are comfortable with the R41, you don't need buffing or touch ups. A quick one pass or two pass knock the soap off and call it good shave is almost always going to be at least a DFS) I know many think you need an extra 10 minutes to use the R41. In my experience if you do it's out of fear and lack of confidence in what you are doing. Once you can use it, you can use it as quickly as any other.

I'm going to use mine tomorrow.

Please forgive me but I don't want to buy a razor that challenges or proves my mettle.

I am a shaving coward, perhaps. The thing I like about my Claymore Evolution and now my British Flat Bottom Tech is.... they seem mild yet efficient. I have a very limited paradigm... just using two razors at this point. Both attack my whiskers and give me a "damn comfortable shave" (thanks @Chan Eil Whiskers) in two passes with some buffing.

Maybe my beard isn't as course and thick as I think it is. I can really only compare it to others I've seen. I can grow a full, complete beard in a couple weeks...I can look like a mountain man in 4 weeks, to give you an idea. ;)

Oh, and these days, Grizzly Adams. <eg>

Me too...on the coward part. 🙂

I get great shaves with my mild razors - the best I've ever gotten - and sometimes wonder if I'm hindering my progress by using only those...but then I think: I'm happy with the results I'm getting, so who cares?

Call me lazy, but I like easy.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Me too...on the coward part. 🙂

I get great shaves with my mild razors - the best I've ever gotten - and sometimes wonder if I'm hindering my progress by using only those...but then I think: I'm happy with the results I'm getting, so who cares?

Call me lazy, but I like easy.
No reason to fear it. No one is more or less of a man for mastering or not mastering it. But it does give a nice shave that takes some a bit more work to get to initially.

If you skip it entirely I won't think any less of you. I only talk it up because I like the shave and hope others give it a chance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Steep is good for me.

That's not saying you're wrong, but cap riding isn't for me. For one thing, it just feels wrong to me. No, I don't of course mean morally wrong, but wrong nevertheless.

Happy shaves,

Jim
LOL... I'm so glad we aren't attaching morality into the shaving process.... I'll bet, somewhere, someone will make that attempt. We humans are such an odd species. <Eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have an odd sense of humor... not always easy to convey in forum chatting. I am often just joking around with a bit of personal information included. I'm sure the R41 is a fine razor. Many people here have one and even enjoy using it. <eg> (evil grin that denotes an attempt at humor).

I'm too new to know what my preferences are at this point, having only used two razors at this point. But I am getting good shaves and enjoying every minute of it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just looked. Even the stainless steel R41 is $150+.... aren't there better razors out there at that price point? The Karve Overlander comes to mind.

Sometimes the stainless can be found at a lower price - like maybe $125 - but it depends somewhat on the exchange rate.

Mine came to me from a vendor in Ireland because that's where I got the best price. Today I found one in Ireland at a very decent price; I didn't check the shipping rates though. Link. US buyers don't pay the VAT tax. (At least I never have had to.)

[Note: I checked this site twice and got radically different prices today depending on the currency they thought I was using which depended on which currency I told 'em I was using. Why? No idea.]

Back when I decided I really liked the regular, easy to find, cheap zamac R41 I decided to buy a stainless steel version if they ever made one. Nobody needs one; the zamac works just as well.

The titanium was purchased only because I had the rarest of opportunities to buy one from the only store in the world which ever sold 'em, in London, via a friend on another shaving forum.

Maggard doesn't have in stock the $25 R41 replacement head but are likely to get more. That's all you need if you have a standard handle you like.

Better razors? Exactly what that means is unclear to me. I've not tried the Karve Overlander but it does sound like a good razor. The other Karves are good, too, if you can determine which baseplate to buy. I think I've settled on the CC D baseplate as the best for me.

So many razor options. So little actual need to explore them all, according to Big Nurse.

1660062173851.png

She believes the Sailor extravagant.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom