What's new

First Fatip Recommendation

RAD is kicking in & for Father’s Day I’d like to buy a Fatip. I’ve been using DE razor since June of 2019.
Even though I don’t have to I love to shave every day. My beard is normal.

I own the following razors;

RR Game Changer .68/.84 SB & .68 OC, RR SLOC, RR aluminum Lupo, Rockwell 6C, Muhle R89.
The only razor I own which doesn’t give me a consistently good shave is my aluminum Lupo.

I’d like to buy a Fatip OC. I know the slant work great but I just don’t like the looks of the slanted head. I know it’s petty.
I’d love to buy the Special Edition because it comes with 2 heads but the finish flakes off after a while. Right now I’m leaning towards
The Fatip Black Tie Nobile Original Open Comb.
Fatip Black Tie Nobile Original Open Comb DE Safety Razor, Black Handle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Also in case I don't buy The Black Tie razor I have some questions.
Which finish is more durable, Chrome or Nickel? Not a fan of Gold.
Handles Grande VS Piccolo? Although I love the size & looks of the Black Tie handle.
Is the Black Tie razor using the OC V2 head? Since it’s new I’m assuming yes but hate to assume.
Who sells Faitip razors in the US outside of Maggard & Shave Nation?

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

I know this is a bit weird, but I am still trying to find a new home for a Fatip Nobile OC. It is the faux horn handle and open comb. I won't quite PIF it, but feel free to DM me if interested. It is in perfect shape, only used a handful of times. Happy to make you a VERY good price...not trying to make my money back at all. I just hate that it sits in my den unused. If I can save you some money, it could be a win-win.

I know this is a bit weird, but I am still trying to find a new home for a Fatip Nobile OC. It is the faux horn handle and open comb. I won't quite PIF it, but feel free to DM me if interested. It is in perfect shape, only used a handful of times. Happy to make you a VERY good price...not trying to make my money back at all. I just hate that it sits in my den unused. If I can save you some money, it could be a win-win.
Thanks, but not a fan of that handle. If you can't sell it maybe you can swap it for another razor. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Lupo. Although I still think SOMEDAY I might make it work & have decided to keep it for now.

I had the Muhle R89 and like you I was looking for something different, more efficient.
My choice was initialy the special edition with the closed bar and open comb. (but the flake-off was a no for me)
And I asked advice on B&B witch resulted in me bying the FOCS slant...
At first I was a bit terrified by the looks of this mean machine because it looked very dangereous.
But I never had closer, smoother shaves than with this razor, no blade feel, no thugging, no nicks, just fantastic shaves...
A real gem (and a cheap one) imho.

Not a bad idea if you decide you enjoy the Fatip. Most reported blade alignment issues are imo due to the funky brazed blade post on the top cap. I've seen people use alternate caps like a Yintal or Gillette old type. I myself have a Kingston head (claimed chrome plated brass) incoming from Fendrihan to try the cap on one of mine.

Hopefully it's brass. I purchased the rose gold Weston head from them, supposedly plated over brass, but if you read the thread "Fendrihan Bay, anyone tried one?" here, you'll find evidence that it was really zamac. Same weight as the Maggard V3A and someone filed off the end of the post to show the zamac under the plating.

I had the Muhle R89 and like you I was looking for something different, more efficient.
My choice was initialy the special edition with the closed bar and open comb. (but the flake-off was a no for me)
And I asked advice on B&B witch resulted in me bying the FOCS slant...
At first I was a bit terrified by the looks of this mean machine because it looked very dangereous.
But I never had closer, smoother shaves than with this razor, no blade feel, no thugging, no nicks, just fantastic shaves...
A real gem (and a cheap one) imho.

Thanks but I'm not not looking for another razor because my Muhle R89 is not working out. In fact the Muhle is my latest purchase & has exceeded my expectations. It's in my razor rotation which also includes a GC .84. I'm looking for another razor because I have RAD.

I love the way the Fatip's look! They're old school & they remind me of a classic Italian sport car, like a Lancia Stratos. Not the most durable or reliable but still a work of art capable of winning a Championship. Even their boxes are a work of art compared to the crappy boxes you get from RazorRock. My $20 SLOC & $60 GC were in the same box! 🤨

As far as Slants go I just don't like the way they look. Although I love the handles on the Lo Storto's. 😎

Last edited:
Hopefully it's brass. I purchased the rose gold Weston head from them, supposedly plated over brass, but if you read the thread "Fendrihan Bay, anyone tried one?" here, you'll find evidence that it was really zamac. Same weight as the Maggard V3A and someone filed off the end of the post to show the zamac under the plating.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in their brass claim, pretty much hoping against hope here but I'm on a quest to find a brass cap that I can have gold plated. I felt sure the Yintal cap from their bronze razor was brass based off a weight of 16.1g (heavier than my Fatip cap) but turned out to be electroplated zamac. In the meantime, I'll just keep switching Fatip caps to satisfy my desire for perfection.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The FOCS is very very easy to use. I've had no alignment issues at all with mine. It is 100% Not Aggressive! It is not prone to biting you. It is very smooth feeling on your skin. It is quite efficient for such a mild feeling razor. I see zero downsides to it.

Well, one downside. It doesn't come in nickel.

Other Fatips come in nickel which I prefer. Not that chrome and gold are bad of course.

I prefer the fatter Grande (or standard) handle to the too skinny Piccolo handle (and not just a little bit prefer as I really don't like the Piccolo handle at all), but others prefer the Piccolo.

The Gentile slant is okay but it's not the one to buy given that the significantly better FOCS is available. The FOCS is one of the easiest to learn and use razors I know of (and I have a few).

Nothing wrong with any of the other Fatips. My favorites are the unobtanium Mk1 razors in the Grande, but the Mk2 (readily available) Grande in nickel is a lovely razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the help.
Just place my order at Maggard. I ordered the Black Tie Nobile Original since I wanted to try their OC razor.
And to play it safe for just $20 more I added a Chrome Piccolo Gentile.

Would of loved to have ordered the Special Edition Piccolo. But if the plating started to fade It would of bum me out.
Also in case the Piccolo handle is not to my liking I could use the Nobile handle on either head.

Thanks for the help.
Just place my order at Maggard. I ordered the Black Tie Nobile Original since I wanted to try their OC razor.
And to play it safe for just $20 more I added a Chrome Piccolo Gentile.

Would of loved to have ordered the Special Edition Piccolo. But if the plating started to fade It would of bum me out.
Also in case the Piccolo handle is not to my liking I could use the Nobile handle on either head.

Excellent choices!!!

My Fatip's arrive & so far I have only used the Gentile once. They were supposed to arrive Friday but Fed Ex screw up & they arrived Monday. The shave was good & it was very smooth. BUT I had issues shaving ATG under my nose. Felt like it was scraping. And I always shave ATG including under my nose.

What angle should I be using? I tend to use steep with my razors. I know it usually takes me a couple of shaves to dial in a razor but I was not expecting rough ATG under my nose. I experience this issue with 2 different blades started with an Astra SS (2), & switched to a an Astra SP (1). Felt the same.

Thanks.

My Fatip's arrive & so far I have only used the Gentile once. They were supposed to arrive Friday but Fed Ex screw up & they arrived Monday. The shave was good & it was very smooth. BUT I had issues shaving ATG under my nose. Felt like it was scraping. And I always shave ATG including under my nose.

What angle should I be using? I tend to use steep with my razors. I know it usually takes me a couple of shaves to dial in a razor but I was not expecting rough ATG under my nose. I experience this issue with 2 different blades started with an Astra SS (2), & switched to a an Astra SP (1). Felt the same.

Thanks.
The steeper angles are good for the WTG and XTG passes. For ATG in the mustache/chin area I think it is easier to switch to riding the cap and using fairly short strokes.

I have both GC heads you mentioned plus the OC. As for Fatip, I have the OC in Nickel and gold, grande and piccolo. The Gentile straight bar (gold) and the Slant; Lo Storto Originale. Among the Fatips, my favorite is the Grande OC. I get just a good a shave with it as I do the slant.

I don't really consider it aggressive - very little blade feel - but it's very efficient. It never fails to deliver a smooth, close shave. Out of my collection of safety razors, the Fatip Grande OC and the SS Lupo .95 are my top two picks. With the Fatips, I prefer the thicker handles rather than the piccolo but that's merely personal preference. For longterm durability, nickel will likely serve you better than chrome.

Also, the Fatip Grande OC is Chester approved:

View attachment 1264735
What a handsome cat! That paw looks like a bobcat's.

(The brush and razor are pretty cool too.)

Last edited:
The steeper angles are good for the WTG and XTG passes. For ATG in the mustache/chin area I think it is easier to switch to riding the cap and using fairly short strokes.
I'll try that next time I shave. Although my previous shave with my Rockwell 6C left my face a bit irritated. Usually this razor works great but since I had not used it in a long time I think I used too much pressure. Maybe this fact made it seemed worse.

Thanks.

2nd shave with the Fatip Gentile was better. Still are little rough ATG under the nose but not as bad as last night. But every where else WTG XTG ATG this razor was extremely smooth & efficient. In fact I was considering stopping after 2 passes but decided to do what I do every day, 3 passes. Maybe I'm crazy but to me this razor feels more efficient than my GC 84. And I still have not used by Black Tie Original. Although I considered putting the Black Tie handle on the Gentile.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
2nd shave with the Fatip Gentile was better. Still are little rough ATG under the nose but not as bad as last night. But every where else WTG XTG ATG this razor was extremely smooth & efficient. In fact I was considering stopping after 2 passes but decided to do what I do every day, 3 passes. Maybe I'm crazy but to me this razor feels more efficient than my GC 84. And I still have not used by Black Tie Original. Although I considered putting the Black Tie handle on the Gentile.

When your gut says to stop, listen.

Under-doing it is rarely the wrong decision.

Just my experience of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shaves with the Piccolo Gentile are getting better ATG under my nose. But today to change things up I decided to use the Black Tie handle. WOW! I can't believe a simple handle swap made such a huge difference! The smaller Piccolo handle is what's giving me the issue. Guess for someone with my DE razor skill set it's harder to master.

Shaves with the Piccolo Gentile are getting better ATG under my nose. But today to change things up I decided to use the Black Tie handle. WOW! I can't believe a simple handle swap made such a huge difference! The smaller Piccolo handle is what's giving me the issue. Guess for someone with my DE razor skill set it's harder to master.

I think I had a similar issue... gave back a faulty Fatip Grande (best shave ever), now using the LE Piccolo and I'm not able to replicate that shave 🤣Although I did learn something... Taking more care to get a closer shave XTG helps out with the ATG pass. I'll have to test the Fatip with a different handle :)

I think I had a similar issue... gave back a faulty Fatip Grande (best shave ever), now using the LE Piccolo and I'm not able to replicate that shave 🤣Although I did learn something... Taking more care to get a closer shave XTG helps out with the ATG pass. I'll have to test the Fatip with a different handle :)

I'm going to use this combo again tomorrow to ensure it wasn't a fluke. But regardless I plan to eventually use the Piccolo handle again. Since it's only ATG under my nose that's giving me trouble. The smaller handle is probably a little harder to master. Glad I bought those 2 Fatips, Black Tie OC & Piccolo Gentile, at the same time.

Top Bottom