What's new

First Fatip Recommendation

I'm going to use this combo again tomorrow to ensure it wasn't a fluke. But regardless I plan to eventually use the Piccolo handle again. Since it's only ATG under my nose that's giving me trouble. The smaller handle is probably a little harder to master. Glad I bought those 2 Fatips, Black Tie OC & Piccolo Gentile, at the same time.

Small correction: When I wrote "closer shave XTG helps out with the ATG pass" I was talking about under the nose. I'll probably get a FOCS at one point, so I'll just use that handle, for now it's Piccolo for me, so I'll see how that goes... I think I might end up in the Grande camp :D

I'm also a fatip lover and I have the same problem going ATG, it just chatters. For me the decision was making one more XTG in the other direction. Keeping steady steep angle WTG and both ways of XTG and then shallow as you possible can at ATG pass is my way of doing it right without any irritation. I have Grande's and FOCS- by both of them I use this technique and it's successful, at least for me

Small correction: When I wrote "closer shave XTG helps out with the ATG pass" I was talking about under the nose. I'll probably get a FOCS at one point, so I'll just use that handle, for now it's Piccolo for me, so I'll see how that goes... I think I might end up in the Grande camp :D
Switching over to the the Black Tie handle corrected my issue shaving ATG under my nose. Will eventually use the Piccolo handle again. In fact it's back on the razor again.

You can also try opening your mouth (just like yawning). The position is a bit uncomfortable, but with some razors this works much better for me, than puffing the area under the nose, pushing it with my tongue, or doing nothing.

Since someone responded to this thread earlier today I decided to use the Piccolo Gentile. The shave was great & had no issues shaving ATG under my nose. Guess it took me longer to get use to the Piccolo handle.

Also I'll say this again. But I find the Gentile head more efficient than my GC .84 SB!
At least on my face. But YMMV.

Goldenbeards.com sells a version of the Piccolo SE in gold rather than black-handled for about $42usd.
It's out ou Denmark so you'll wait a while for delivery, but at least you wont have the peeling problem.
Would you know if it has the same misalignment as the original Fatip? Anyone…?

Would you know if it has the same misalignment as the original Fatip? Anyone…?
I can't comment on the original, but the Golden Shave razor I got doesn't seem to have any alignment issues. OTOH, I don't seem to get alignment issues with any non-slant razors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php

I like my Fatip Grande OC Gold razor, but I felt that it wasn't perfect, so I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars. I hear talks about its mildness in the thread, I can confirm that it is mild, as it has a small blade gap, as seen here...

proxy.php

Having said that however, please note, regardless of how mild the Fatip OC razors are, they are not as mild as a Yaqi Mellon Head razor...

proxy.php

If I install a blade in it, you won't notice a gap, even though there technically is one, you would need a micrometer to notice it! At least with the Fatip OC razor, you can clearly see a gap by the naked eye.

While the Yaqi Mellon Head might be better for a beginner to start off on their first OC razor, unless they have soft/fine whiskers, they will end up hating it, due to being too mild to handle course whiskers. At least with the Fatip OC razor, I think even beginners with course whiskers could use it. I have course whiskers, so I can speak on experience with that.

The reason why I gave the Fatip OC Grande Gold razor a 4 out of 5 stars, is because sometimes the razor shaves smoothly, other times it shaves roughly. I found it depends on which direction I was going on my face, and what blade I was using in the razor. As with everything in this hobby YMMV.

The reason why I gave the Fatip OC Grande Gold razor a 4 out of 5 stars, is because sometimes the razor shaves smoothly, other times it shaves roughly. I found it depends on which direction I was going on my face, and what blade I was using in the razor.
Trust me Chris, it's alignment! I mentioned it before when you first bought it.
I've got 6 Fatip's and have learned with all of them that what you have experienced happens because of alignment.
You're not seeing it but it's not aligned! You have to look at both sides almost microscopically (figure of speech) in order to notice it. And the correction of alignment that you have to do is miniscule (in millimeters). The Fatip is one of those razors that will take any blade and give you a decent shave (no matter which direction you're shaving). But, it'll be rough if it's not aligned!

Switching over to the the Black Tie handle corrected my issue shaving ATG under my nose. Will eventually use the Piccolo handle again. In fact it's back on the razor again.
Is there something you do not like about the Black Tie handle?

Top Bottom