What's new

First Fatip Recommendation

RAD is kicking in & for Father’s Day I’d like to buy a Fatip. I’ve been using DE razor since June of 2019.
Even though I don’t have to I love to shave every day. My beard is normal.

I own the following razors;

RR Game Changer .68/.84 SB & .68 OC, RR SLOC, RR aluminum Lupo, Rockwell 6C, Muhle R89.
The only razor I own which doesn’t give me a consistently good shave is my aluminum Lupo.

I’d like to buy a Fatip OC. I know the slant work great but I just don’t like the looks of the slanted head. I know it’s petty.
I’d love to buy the Special Edition because it comes with 2 heads but the finish flakes off after a while. Right now I’m leaning towards
The Fatip Black Tie Nobile Original Open Comb.
Fatip Black Tie Nobile Original Open Comb DE Safety Razor, Black Handle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Also in case I don't buy The Black Tie razor I have some questions.
Which finish is more durable, Chrome or Nickel? Not a fan of Gold.
Handles Grande VS Piccolo? Although I love the size & looks of the Black Tie handle.
Is the Black Tie razor using the OC V2 head? Since it’s new I’m assuming yes but hate to assume.
Who sells Faitip razors in the US outside of Maggard & Shave Nation?

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

Have both Gentile and open comb.... Love the Gentile and the open comb doesn't work for me (irritation, redness and weepers at times)

RAD is kicking in & for Father’s Day I’d like to buy a Fatip. I’ve been using DE razor since June of 2019.

RR Game Changer .68/.84 SB & .68 OC, RR SLOC, RR aluminum Lupo, Rockwell 6C, Muhle R89.
The only razor I own which doesn’t give me a consistently good shave is my aluminum Lupo.

I’d like to buy a Fatip OC. I know the slant work great but I just don’t like the looks of the slanted head. I know it’s petty.
I’d love to buy the Special Edition because it comes with 2 heads but the finish flakes off after a while. Right now I’m leaning towards
Fatip Black Tie Nobile Original Open Comb DE Safety Razor, Black Handle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Handles Grande VS Piccolo? Although I love the size & looks of the Black Tie handle.
Is the Black Tie razor using the OC V2 head? Since it’s new I’m assuming yes but hate to assume.

Thanks Everyone,
Bill
The standard Fatip is considerably more aggressive/efficient than the rest of your razors. If you want something that is closer to what you're used to, then you might consider the Gentile variant. It's milder. If you want the original Fatip head, you could consider the Schone. Same basic head design. It's made by Fatip for Schone.

Not to be pushy, but you should reconsider the FOCS. It has magic in use. Really!

I’ve used a Testina Gentile in a few shaves. It may grow on me, but my 1st impression is that it’s OK but nothing special. I prefer all the Techs I’ve used.

I haven’t tried the Piccolo or the Grande.

Since the
Not to be pushy, but you should reconsider the FOCS. It has magic in use. Really!

I'm not a fan of the way slant look. Also for someone who's still fairly new to wet shaving I would imagine it's a lot harder to determine if a slant razor has an alignment issue.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

My preference is for the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Open Comb Slant).

If not the Slant, the Grande Open Comb. I prefer the larger diameter Grande handle over the narrower Piccolo handle.

The Fatip OC razors are wonderful razors.

YMMV

I have the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition set.
Did not like the Gentile base and it now sits in the 'drawer of shame'.
Love the OC base. Very smooth and actually quite mild. The black coating on the cap is still fine (but I don't use the razor daily).
I do use good soaps and blades though...and maybe some folks who don't like the Fatip are using 'not so good' blades, etc (eg. Bolzano...which are blunt, nasty horrible metal things shaped like a razor blade).
I know it's YMMV sort of thing...but I can't figure out why some folks think the Fatip OC is a face shredding instrument of torture.
I have a few Techs (including RFB), various other vintage Gillettes, Timeless OC, Karve, and Blackbird OC and SB.
The Fatip is solidly in the milder side of things to me, and gives a very pleasant, easy shave.
Would love a Schone (just because the handle looks great...yeah, I know I'm 'shallow'). Also like the look of the FOCS.
The Fatips are cheap enough, and you should get one.
Edit: I used to own the GC with both .68 and .84 bases. Hated it, and soon sold it (and the new owner loves it! Go figure).
Have no intention of ever getting rid of the Fatip OC though.

Last edited:

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

Goldenbeards.com sells a version of the Piccolo SE in gold rather than black-handled for about $42usd.
It's out ou Denmark so you'll wait a while for delivery, but at least you wont have the peeling problem.

I’ve used a Testina Gentile in a few shaves. It may grow on me, but my 1st impression is that it’s OK but nothing special. I prefer all the Techs I’ve used.

I haven’t tried the Piccolo or the Grande.
Where can you get the FOCS from in the uk?

I have both GC heads you mentioned plus the OC. As for Fatip, I have the OC in Nickel and gold, grande and piccolo. The Gentile straight bar (gold) and the Slant; Lo Storto Originale. Among the Fatips, my favorite is the Grande OC. I get just a good a shave with it as I do the slant.

I don't really consider it aggressive - very little blade feel - but it's very efficient. It never fails to deliver a smooth, close shave. Out of my collection of safety razors, the Fatip Grande OC and the SS Lupo .95 are my top two picks. With the Fatips, I prefer the thicker handles rather than the piccolo but that's merely personal preference. For longterm durability, nickel will likely serve you better than chrome.

Also, the Fatip Grande OC is Chester approved:

20210501_152934.jpg

just get the Picollo special edition, has both OC and bar heads.....you get two for a decent price. Or get the Schone, a bit milder and cheaper from A......n.
If the coating didn't peel off I would buy that one in a heart beat since I love the way it looks. Maybe to play it safe I'll buy 2 razors, a Gentile & an OC.

Thanks for the link @lancre however not a fan of the gold color. Real gold I love. 😀

Maybe to play it safe I'll buy 2 razors, a Gentile & an OC.

Not a bad idea if you decide you enjoy the Fatip. Most reported blade alignment issues are imo due to the funky brazed blade post on the top cap. I've seen people use alternate caps like a Yintal or Gillette old type. I myself have a Kingston head (claimed chrome plated brass) incoming from Fendrihan to try the cap on one of mine.

On my Gentile, I have just slightly more blade reveal on one side that can't be adjusted out manually, so I just switch the top cap from my Grande OC and the Gentile lines up perfectly. It really doesn't affect the shave but it drives me nuts. Like a splinter in the back of my mind, as Morpheus would say. Hopefully, you lead a charmed life and get perfection on the first purchase.

Top Bottom