What's new

Final thoughts on the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer.

Thanks for that. Going by the replies on this thread I think I'll try the Gillette 7 O'Clock and the Persona blades after using up my Merkurs and giving the Feathers a go. I WON'T be using the Treet blades again. The reason for this is that they seem to 'tug' rather than cut. They just can't hack it (pun not intended) on my difficult neck hair and they ended up giving me lots of nicks. The Merkur blades perform much better in this respect....
Just change your blade when you start getting a lot of tugging. How many shaves depends on the blade, your beard, razor, shave prep, etc. I can get 10+ shaves from a Personna Med Prep. For a Feather blade, about four shaves.

Just wanted to note there are several different blades (confusingly) labeled as 7 O'clock. This is the Black variant:
proxy.php

Personna can be confusing with all the different varieties and packaging offered. The Lab Blues and Med Preps are made in Verona, VA USA and come in boxes of 100.
personna-lab-4.jpeg

personna-med-prep-1.jpeg

Treet makes a lot of different blades. The 7 Days platinum blades are actually really good:

proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Ah, the world famous Schrag Vorschlaghammer! Coolest name ever! Great razor too. Haven’t used mine in ages. Anyway, glad you like it and yes, it beats the pants off any Mach 3.

I’ll echo the others and recommend deep sixing the Merkur blades. Not good as all. Astra SP would be my choice with the Sledge. Smooooth!
B25A3F58-C83A-4B28-A260-5C233570989A.gif

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
As mentioned earlier I mentioned I change the blades every 3 shaves. Is that a bit too soon? Or perhaps I could get another couple of shaves out of them? Both sides of the blades get used equally during each shave.

There are people who will put in a fresh blade every single time. To me, that feels a bit soonish. But hey; it's a hobby.

From what I dimly remember of Merkur blades, I got about four good (head) shaves from each one. They dulled pretty fast. I also remember I cranked up a Feather (because somebody once gave me like 50 of them for free) and it was a pretty sharp blade for the first shave, but seemed to fall off even faster than the Merkurs. I think I still have a whack of Feathers somewhere; I should look for them and pif them off.

I see guys getting an incredible number of shaves on a blade. @alin has something like 40 shaves on an Astra SP. As a head shaver with what I think is tough hair, I'll never see that number. My Astras get 6 good shaves pretty consistently if I keep them in the same razor. (Single edge Artist Club blades go up to around 10 shaves for me. Gem single edge are usually tugging me at 6. YMMV.)

I also spin the razor so both edges get used, and flip the blade between shaves. I usually say shaves 1&2 are sharp and smooth, 3&4 are the smoothest shaves in the blade and 5&6 are still smooth but not as sharp. More cleanup. After that it's a lather squeegee for me.

O.H.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks to all of your replies. Each and one will be carefully considered. My only concern is that the Merkur blades don't seem to be much liked on this thread. Any particular reason why? I do find them MUCH better than the Treet blades. Still yet to try a Feather blade in my Sledgehammer though. I will post it on here when I do so. I change my blade every 3 shaves.

Once again each reply will be carefully considered and if I do decide to try more brands, my experience will be posted on this thread.

Also today was the first time I used an alum block after shaving. Can't believe how nice my face felt after using it!

Jason.
I've never understood the dislike of Merkur blades here on B&B. I think part of it may be it's the first blade used by a lot of noobies and they get a terrible shave due to their poor technique. Maybe that one blade they give out isn't as good as the ones on a tuck? Never tried the single complimentary blade but I've had great success with their super platinum blades (in the 10 packs) that I used to buy in stores. Liked 'em. They remind me of the German Wilkies.

I don't use Feathers in my slants. As stated above, the slant can use a mediocre blade well. I've taken old blades out of a Gillette Super Speed or Tech that felt worn out and used them in my slant and they cut just fine, felt fresh!

Just my take on their packaged blades. And I like Derby Extras, too. :whistling:

Do try some Astras.

As mentioned earlier I mentioned I change the blades every 3 shaves. Is that a bit too soon? Or perhaps I could get another couple of shaves out of them? Both sides of the blades get used equally during each shave.
This is strictly a YMMV question. Some members get more tha 100 shaves from a blade, others only 1 shave. Personally, I change my blades after four shaves except for Feathers that I change after three shaves. I had settled in at four and then began stretching to six shaves. What I found was five or six shaves was acceptable some times but not always. For mere pennies, I went back to changing blades after four shaves which ensures virtually no tuggy or rough shaves.

My top blades in no particular order are:
  • Nacet (PPI, Russia)
  • GSB (PPI, Russia)
  • Astra SS (PPI, Russia)
  • Personna Lab (USA blades)
  • Personna red (Israeli blades that I believe are out of production)
  • Feather (in my Timeless Titanium)
My best advice is that I don’t believe a blade should ever be tuggy or rough. I have also found that other than Feather, the second, third and often fourth uses are equal or better than the first.

Last edited:
Nice, classic razor! You are absolutely allowed to like Merkur blades. I haven't read much about them, but my experience with them matched the opinions here.

BUT, the only Merkur blades I've used are the single blades they package with each of their razors. Who knows how long they rattled around in there?

I will put in a boost for Rapira Platinum Lux. My son uses Astra SP exclusively, for a couple years with a Merkur slant. Both brands can be found for about 10¢/blade in 100 packs.

You'll find that blades and blade usage frequency are very much a YMMV matter. Not only do people have different beard thicknesses and skin sensitivities, but we all generally use different razors. On top of that the lathers we use also make a difference in how a blade shaves.

If you're tossing a blade after 3 shaves, that can be perfectly fine; of course, it could also be too early. Only you can tell which it is since you're the one who is feeling the shave.

As for blade preferences, you're probably better off trying a blade variety pack before deciding which blade is best for you. Some popular blades may not work for you; some unpopular blades may work very well for you. (I've found both to be true for me, as Voskhod is horrible for me but little known LOI Salon Blades are the best I've ever tried. That said, I've also found that Astra SP and Lord Platinums work well for me and both are pretty popular here. On the other hand, Astra SS and Shark Super Stainless are horrible for me; both have their admirers here. Then there's Dorco ST-300, which is almost universally disliked here; they are also horrible for me.) No one can tell you which blades will work well for you; that's something that only trial and error can answer.

In any case, enjoy your shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Best thing to do is purchase a variety pack with a tuck of many different blades in it.

Although there are many that work for me, my current favorites are:

1) Sharp Titanium
2) Gillette Wilkinson Sword
3) Timor Stainless Steel
4) Gillette Silver Blue
5) Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum

Going to echo what many have already posted...the Merkur blades, in my experience, performed poorly compared to many other DE blades.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have some Feather blades but too scared to try them in my razor. The Treet blades I have are best left unmentioned. Any recommendations for extremely tough chin hair and sensitive skin please?

Jason.

Blades are highly subjective, but there are some community favorites and I will tell you about some of my personal favorites.
Also note that some blades just don't work well in some razors, but brilliant in others. E.g. I like to "cushion" aggressive razors with Voshkods, but mild to moderate razors can immensely benefit from a Feather or BIC Chroma. My top-favorite for almost every situation is the Gillette Nacet. Followed up by the highly underestimated Gillette Platinum.

Feathers are ridiculously expensive, the BIC could be a replacement for a similar effect and way cheaper. Just because they are expensive doesn't translate into a better shave.

Highly popular, but not my cup of tea:
Astra Superior Platinum (ASP), just doesn't do anything better than many Gillettes and is not too much cheaper.
Perma-Sharp: Rather Perma-Mild, very mild blade, doesn't quite do it for me.

Not so popular or known, but my worst blade:
Dorco Titan: I liked a Dorco-301 and thought "I like this Spartan helmet and this one was great, so let's try their presumably best blade!", and this one was super smooth and mild, but not sharp. Many passes required. Next day I always had quite a razor sore after shaving with them. Gave up after 4 tries.

Now go forth and slay stubble! Enjoy & have fun.

P.S. dunno if you are Aussie, American or Euro, I usually buy from Amazon or Razor Blades Club in Europe. Americans have Tryablade. Aussies shave with bush knives or forge their own razor blades. But maybe I am wrong.

I've never understood the dislike of Merkur blades here on B&B. I think part of it may be it's the first blade used by a lot of noobies and they get a terrible shave due to their poor technique. Maybe that one blade they give out isn't as good as the ones on a tuck? Never tried the single complimentary blade but I've had great success with their super platinum blades (in the 10 packs) that I used to buy in stores. Liked 'em. They remind me of the German Wilkies.

I don't use Feathers in my slants. As stated above, the slant can use a mediocre blade well. I've taken old blades out of a Gillette Super Speed or Tech that felt worn out and used them in my slant and they cut just fine, felt fresh!

Just my take on their packaged blades. And I like Derby Extras, too. :whistling:

Do try some Astras.
Me too. So much hatred for the Merkurs. I agree they are somewhat similar to the German Wilkinson.
+1 for the Astra suggestion.

I have some Feather blades but too scared to try them in my razor. The Treet blades I have are best left unmentioned. Any recommendations for extremely tough chin hair and sensitive skin please?

Jason.

Nacet. Very sharp, consistent and good value.

A sharp blade is usually better for coarse hair.

For sensitive skin, make sure it's well-lubricated with a decent shaving soap mixed wet and maybe cut down on the number of passes.

Congrats and onward to the next step: blade experimentation. 😀

Merkur blades aren't good at all, but rather expensive. So there is huge potential that you can improve your shave quality even more! 👍
I have a tough old beard. I find Merkur blades to be quite good in Merkur razors. I have no explanation for that.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The thing with Merkur blades is indeed: They come with Merkur razors.
Now if you happen to like them and want to buy some more... you are almost better off to buy another Merkur razor, no kidding. The prices they ask for are crazy. Not even Mühle's rebranded Personna blades cost that much.

Thanks to all of your replies. Each and one will be carefully considered. My only concern is that the Merkur blades don't seem to be much liked on this thread. Any particular reason why? I do find them MUCH better than the Treet blades. Still yet to try a Feather blade in my Sledgehammer though. I will post it on here when I do so. I change my blade every 3 shaves.

Once again each reply will be carefully considered and if I do decide to try more brands, my experience will be posted on this thread.

Also today was the first time I used an alum block after shaving. Can't believe how nice my face felt after using it!

Jason.

IMHO, blades are a personal thing. For whatever reason, some folks don't like the Merkur blades. I have tried them a number of times and I find them just OK. My only problem with them is that they are expensive.

I recommend you decide which blades you like without paying attention to the likes and dislikes of others. For example, many love Astra SP blades. For me, they are just OK. I can only get three decent shaves with them before they become too dull for my beard and face. Feather blades for me work the best in milder razors and I like them in my Feather AS-D2 and Tech razors. For me, the blade that is the most versatile (works in all my razors and lasts a bit longer) are the various Personna blades. The Med Prep blades and Labs are my favorites.

With Feather blades, use just enough pressure to shave the lather off your face -- no more.

. . . The hair will come off with it.

The trick is to not break through the lubricating film of soapy water that's between the blade, and your skin.

If you get razor burn, you' re using too much pressure.
I don’t apply any pressure at all with my Sledgehammer as that razor is so weighty I don’t need to. As mentioned elsewhere I am going to give the Feather another chance and update my verdict accordingly.

Jason.

Congrats and onward to the next step: blade experimentation. 😀

Merkur blades aren't good at all, but rather expensive. So there is huge potential that you can improve your shave quality even more! 👍

Yup. Ditch the Merkur blades. You'll thank me later.

Top Bottom