What's new

Final thoughts on the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer.

Good afternoon all.

My final thoughts on the 39c Sledgehammer. Every shave keeps getting better and better (I have set my heart on using the Merkur blades in it). As mentioned in another post it shaves so well I can’t bear to go back to using my Mach3 (I am keeping it for holiday travel) though.

I am 100% happy with it.

Jason.

Congrats and onward to the next step: blade experimentation. 😀

Merkur blades aren't good at all, but rather expensive. So there is huge potential that you can improve your shave quality even more! 👍
I have some Feather blades but too scared to try them in my razor. The Treet blades I have are best left unmentioned. Any recommendations for extremely tough chin hair and sensitive skin please?

Jason.

I have some Feather blades but too scared to try them in my razor. The Treet blades I have are best left unmentioned. Any recommendations for extremely tough chin hair and sensitive skin please?

Jason.
Huge fan of the Gillette 7 O'clocks (super stainless). The Gillette Platinums and Silver Blues are also fantastic. Granted, YMMV.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Until you get many more miles under your belt with this I'd suggest avoiding the Feather, actually. I think @BigJ nailed it.

1. Toss the Merkur blades in the trash. Outside trash, not inside trash. So you are not tempted to retrieve them.

2. Try Personnas, Gillette Silver Blue, or an Astra SP for a while.

3. In a month or so, try the Feather. I've found the Kai blades to be just as sharp as Feather, but much smoother and they last a week of shaves for me, which also makes them more economical. I have no use for Feathers now--as sharp, smoother, longer lasting--why would I use Feather? YMMV, of course.

I use my Mach 3 for travel as well. The rest of the time I use my DE's. As far as blades are concerned, do use Feathers. They are excellent blades and just take your time. Also PolSilvers, Super Iridiums, Personnas etc are all much better blades than Merkurs. IMHO.

I would recommend you get a vintage injector razor to use as a travel razor, they can be had cheap. Once you get used to using a DE, a cartridge razor might bring back bad habits.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I am 100% happy with it.
Really that is all that matters IMO, as for blades I have used a few and is just a ball park mention and I used the Gillette Astra SP as a standard when comparing. You can not go wrong with a Gillette or Personna blades because they have been manufacturing quality blades for over 100 years IMO.(Click to enlarge picture if interested)
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Glad you liked the 39C. Imagine if it didn't work for you.
Take it slowly. The Feathers might wait for a month or two. Keep shaving with the razor and the Merkur blades for a few more weeks. Then you might wanna buy a blade sampler. This is the way.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Razors are subjective, blades are a science. Hmmm. Let me rethink that...:)

At least with blades, if you have a decent selection available locally, you only pay three or four bucks for a tuck of five blades. You can try 'em all and still have most of your lunch money.

I started with a Merkur 38C, the plain-DE version of yours. Same handle. The same shop that sold me that also suggested I start out with a pack of 10 Merkur blades. Specifically, I was told "These are dull enough not to scare the hell out of you, and sharp enough to cut some hair. Once you have some basic feel for it, come back and we'll talk other blades." He was right.

So I did. I think there were still 6 blades in the pack when I passed the razor (and the blades) along to my son for his first razor. I tried Feather, Voskhod, PolSilver, Rapira, Astra SS and a couple others before I stumbled on the Astra SP. I'm no hoarder but I have 300 Astra SP blades stored away. At two weeks to the blade that's about 12 years of shaving if I don't spend part of the time on SE and barber straights.

Got any gentlemen's stores nearby? They occasionally have a side display of shaving gear, like the magazines and candy bars in the grocery stores. Even if all you have is a drugstore, take a look. I hear of people using the "TryABlade" service; the advice I see is to buy at least two blades of any type so that if one's been mishandled you will still have another to try out.

We also have two local barbershops that seem to be "edgy" and hip. Both of them have a few good blades on display because they use them themselves. All the other barbers in town are the usual electric-and-scissors kind.

O.H.

Thanks to all of your replies. Each and one will be carefully considered. My only concern is that the Merkur blades don't seem to be much liked on this thread. Any particular reason why? I do find them MUCH better than the Treet blades. Still yet to try a Feather blade in my Sledgehammer though. I will post it on here when I do so. I change my blade every 3 shaves.

Once again each reply will be carefully considered and if I do decide to try more brands, my experience will be posted on this thread.

Also today was the first time I used an alum block after shaving. Can't believe how nice my face felt after using it!

Jason.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Still yet to try a Feather blade in my Sledgehammer though. I will post it on here when I do so. I change my blade every 3 shaves.
If you try the Feather blade and find it is not what you wanted do not toss the tuck away, re-visit them later when you technique is more matured is all I can recommend because that is what I did. I have used 3 different types of Feather blades the DE Feather, SE FHS-10 and the AC SE Feather Professional and they all work well. But 3.5 years ago I would of been hesitant possibly.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks to all of your replies. Each and one will be carefully considered. My only concern is that the Merkur blades don't seem to be much liked on this thread. Any particular reason why? I do find them MUCH better than the Treet blades...
One of the great things about the Merkur Slant razors is that it's possible to use mediocre blades and still get fairly good shaves with them.

Merkur blades are not liked that much because there are a lot better blades available for much lower cost.

I have got good results with many different blades in my slant razor. It's hard to go wrong with Personna Lab Blue (or Med Prep), Gillette 7 O'clock Black, or Nacet. However, there are many blades that will work well. Best to experiment with a blade sampler.

I have got good results with many different blades in my slant razor. It's hard to go wrong with Personna Lab Blue (or Med Prep), Gillette 7 O'clock Black, or Nacet. However, there are many blades that will work well. Best to experiment with a blade sampler.
Thanks for that. Going by the replies on this thread I think I'll try the Gillette 7 O'Clock and the Persona blades after using up my Merkurs and giving the Feathers a go. I WON'T be using the Treet blades again. The reason for this is that they seem to 'tug' rather than cut. They just can't hack it (pun not intended) on my difficult neck hair and they ended up giving me lots of nicks. The Merkur blades perform much better in this respect.

My quest for the perfect blade continues. Once I have found a brand that I really like, I will stick with that brand.

As mentioned earlier I mentioned I change the blades every 3 shaves. Is that a bit too soon? Or perhaps I could get another couple of shaves out of them? Both sides of the blades get used equally during each shave.

Jason.

I would recommend you get a vintage injector razor to use as a travel razor, they can be had cheap. Once you get used to using a DE, a cartridge razor might bring back bad habits.
Someone else mentioned elsewhere I should get a pack of Bic Metal disposable razors for travel (I know what they are; I have seen them.) What I do like about Bic Metals is they only have one blade, a metal safety bar like a DE razor and best of all; NO nasty lubricating strip. I'll consider that as an option for travel.

Jason.

Top Bottom