What's new

Please help me choose, Razorock Superslant or Muhle R41-GS

With the thick and dense swirl on my neck and remaining dense whiskers in every imaginable direction I am ready to trade off some of RR's famous smoothness for better efficiency. I can't afford both razors, and the price for each is the max I may spend.

Can someone advise (briefly compare in just a few words) RR's L2 or L2+, or L1++ efficiency, with the efficiency in R41GS ? Thank you. I am not a beginner but still cant get the BBS without at least three passes and touch ups with Merkur 39C slant bought 15 years ago.

Or something else? How about RR Lupo 95? Is the blade in Lupo95 as rigid as in other Razorock's stainless hardware? However, I have to stay away from boutique razors that cost hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds/francs etc.

Last edited:
I think you will find advocates of both. I haven't tried RR's Superslant but it has plenty of fans. I have the stainless steel R41 GS and for me it's a great razor. (I use mine with a lighter and shorter handle)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Lupo .95 OC is very good, but it cannot beat the R41 when it comes to stubble elimination. It's a lot more easy going to use, though. The R41 is teaching you how it wants you to use it in the Life of Brian way, like that Roman Centurion. School of hard knocks.

L3 OC and L3++ OC are probably the R41 range of effectiveness, though my L3++ OC still shaves very differently than a R41. The R41 can quite peel away skin and can also cause irritation if you do so, the Superslant doesn't do it that way, though it is also aggressive and can cut you.

If you want a two pass WTG, ATG the R41 might be your only choice. But even when I shaved exclusively with the R41 I had to do a touch up here and there.

My razor of choice to force a perfect BBS, but you might have to do some for many too harsh "scrubbing" type of shave with a very steep angle, is the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC.

I haven't used the R41GS but I did have the Zamak R41 and currently own and use both the SuperSlant L3 and the Lupo .95OC. With both the SuperSlant and the Lupo .95OC I can shave daily and get a BBS shave in two passes plus touch-up. The SuperSlant is smoother but the Lupo is much more nimble. If the R41GS shaves the same as its Zamak cousin, it may be slightly more efficient than the Lupo and SuperSlant, but I found it unpleasant to use as it just felt very harsh even if it didn't cause cuts, nicks or irritation. I used the Lupo today and the SuperSlant yesterday, so they're both fresh in my mind. If I had to pick just one I would probably go with the Lupo with the Titanium Halo handle. It's considerably less expensive and much easier to maneuver around your face and neck.

If the R41GS shaves the same as its Zamak cousin, it may be slightly more efficient than the Lupo and SuperSlant, but I found it unpleasant to use as it just felt very harsh even if it didn't cause cuts, nicks or irritation.

The R41 seems to vary greatly based on the blade. I'm still getting used to my R41 and trying it out with a variety of blades. It loves the Nacet and the Shark Super Chrome, but hates the Astra SP and Sharp Platinum. It's kind of medium with the Gillette Silver Blue. I've got a lot of blades to go in my variety pack, but that seems to be the theme.

With a Shark Super Chrome, I find the R41 to be a reasonably mellow shave.

It failed the daily driver test for me when I tried that recently. No cuts or immediate irritation, but the cumulative effect of a week of daily shaves was unpleasant.

The R41 seems to vary greatly based on the blade. I'm still getting used to my R41 and trying it out with a variety of blades. It loves the Nacet and the Shark Super Chrome, but hates the Astra SP and Sharp Platinum. It's kind of medium with the Gillette Silver Blue. I've got a lot of blades to go in my variety pack, but that seems to be the theme.

With a Shark Super Chrome, I find the R41 to be a reasonably mellow shave.

It failed the daily driver test for me when I tried that recently. No cuts or immediate irritation, but the cumulative effect of a week of daily shaves was unpleasant.
Same experience here. Every single shave is seemingly great, nick and irritation free, but do it for a week and my face feels raw. I have relegated R41 to storage.

Zamak vs steel … difference basically is the weight and size of the handle

I prefer the zamak but with a steel handle . Zero pressure and the weight do all the work .

I love it since many years but I doubt many really need to use it every day

Zamak vs steel … difference basically is the weight and size of the handle
The difference is the more exposure on the R41GS compared to the latest R41 zamak head that has been manufactured after 2019. The R41GS shaves almost like R41 2013.

The super slant L3++ has become one of my favorite razors I'd say same efficiency as the r41 but incredibly smooth every time

With the thick and dense swirl on my neck and remaining dense whiskers in every imaginable direction I am ready to trade off some of RR's famous smoothness for better efficiency. I can't afford both razors, and the price for each is the max I may spend.

Can someone advise (briefly compare in just a few words) RR's L2 or L2+, or L1++ efficiency, with the efficiency in R41GS ? Thank you. I am not a beginner but still cant get the BBS without at least three passes and touch ups with Merkur 39C slant bought 15 years ago.

Or something else? How about RR Lupo 95? Is the blade in Lupo95 as rigid as in other Razorock's stainless hardware? However, I have to stay away from boutique razors that cost hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds/francs etc.
Hey friend, I don’t want to be “that guy”, but I was wondering if you have a solid preshave routine to give yourself (and the razor and blade) the best and optimal conditions for a shave

I don’t have the Super Slant but do have the Lupo 95 and zamak R41. I had the R41GS but ended up selling it as I like the shave from the zamak version better. In terms of performance I find the Lupo and R41 similar. In terms of comfort the Lupo wins. Both will mow down stubble with ease.

It's not clear from your post if you are shaving daily. I find the R41 too rough for daily shaving. I don't have the RR super slant, but I do have an RR Lupo .72, one of my very favourite razors, also for daily shaving. Especially for touch ups I find the Lupo fantastic, like a surgical precision tool. Since you are used to the Merkur slant and like it, perhaps your best bet is the RR superslant, certainly for daily shaving I would choose a slant over the Muhle R 41.

Top Bottom