What's new

FILM NOIR ..... any fans ?

Another low budget noir gem is GUN CRAZY.....
GUNCRAZYLC.jpg
GUN2.jpg
GUN5.jpg
GUN8.jpg
GUN4.jpg

I've been watching a lot of Charlie Chan on YouTube lately. I prefer the black and white movies over color almost always.
As someone said: lighting, dialogue, music, camera angles and so on make great movies.
Fortunately, the USAEUR library system has a fair number of DVD which I can get since YouTube channels aren't always reliable.

I've been watching a lot of Charlie Chan on YouTube lately. I prefer the black and white movies over color almost always.
As someone said: lighting, dialogue, music, camera angles and so on make great movies.
Fortunately, the USAEUR library system has a fair number of DVD which I can get since YouTube channels aren't always reliable.
I pulled out my collection last month and watched all the Warner Oland and Sydney Toler films...I have the Roland Winters series , but they are so ultra low budget and so
chan.jpg
chan2.jpg
chan3.jpg
ChanOlympicsLobbyCard.jpg
chan6.jpg
lame they are really tough to watch...

some great poster art being...posted. Movie posters in the past were quite attractive works of art. Also, my wife and I watched Gun Crazy for the first time about 6 months ago. It was startling how modern it felt.

I pulled out my collection last month and watched all the Warner Oland and Sydney Toler films...I have the Roland Winters series , but they are so ultra low budget and so View attachment 887258 View attachment 887259 View attachment 887260 View attachment 887262 View attachment 887263 lame they are really tough to watch...
I agree that the quality dropped with each new Chan actor, however there were some very good Toler moments. I would love to see some of the "lost" movies.

I agree that the quality dropped with each new Chan actor, however there were some very good Toler moments. I would love to see some of the "lost" movies.
They did cut corners during the WW2 era , but the Roland Winters films were of 1950's " TV " quality...The missing Chan films would be a real pleasure to view ! ......

some great ones. Another one I've always enjoyed is Phantom Lady, particularly Elisha Cook's highly suggestive drumming scene. Cook was a stalwart of the noir scene.
images.jpg

Not only are the movies great, the music is also in a class by its self. I'm glad to see more and more jazz musicians are putting out more noir music.
The actors and scripts also seemed to be more powerful with less Hollywood gimicary to work with. Gloria Grahame,Carole Landis, William Bendix,Richard Widmark etc...

Not only are the movies great, the music is also in a class by its self. I'm glad to see more and more jazz musicians are putting out more noir music.
The actors and scripts also seemed to be more powerful with less Hollywood gimicary to work with. Gloria Grahame,Carole Landis, William Bendix,Richard Widmark etc...
My favorite noir composer is miklos rosza

I was working when it came out , and never got to see the McGavin Mike Hammer TV series , but film noir fans View attachment 886082 say it's great....My library system has it booked for a year and the series is going for around $80 !
I faintly remember the show from when I was small. Last year I caught an episode with the very young Robert Vaughn in it, on YouTube. It's certainly not as nose-smashingly violent as Spillane's books, but it seemed entertaining.

There was a semi-noir thriller made in about 1950 called The Killer That Stalked New York. It's not so much a crime story, though several of the main characters are criminals, as it is a story about trying to keep a smallpox epidemic from starting in NYC. I thought it was Jan Sterling who played the lead, a woman criminal who (unknown to her) has brought the disease to America, but it was Evelyn Keyes. Her transformation from attractive if hard-edged woman to haggard, walking-dead smallpox victim is horrifying.

Last edited:
I faintly remember the show from when I was small. Last year I caught an episode with the very young Robert Vaughn in it, on YouTube. It's certainly not as nose-smashingly violent as Spillane's books, but it seemed entertaining.

There was a semi-noir thriller made in about 1950 called The Killer That Stalked New York. It's not so much a crime story, though several of the main characters are criminals, as it is a story about trying to keep a smallpox epidemic from starting in NYC. I thought it was Jan Sterling who played the lead, a woman criminal who (unknown to her) has brought the disease to America, but it was Evelyn Keyes. Her transformation from attractive if hard-edged woman to haggard, walking-dead smallpox victim is horrifying.
For sure !.....She made many a horror film as well, and yes, she was great in Killer that stalked New York , a film I've seen a few times over the years , but time to watch it again !....Vaughn was always entertaining. When I was young Man from UNCLE was a treat to watch..He was in a few good war films as well...... Ron....

Top Bottom