What's new

FILM NOIR ..... any fans ?

fn3.jpg
fn4.png
fn5.jpg
fn1.jpg
fn2.jpg

Oh, absolutely! Murder My Sweet is my favorite Marlow movie. Big fan of Detour and Welles' best noir Touch of Evil.

Yes! Just discovered them recently and love them. I will be interested to hear any suggestions of titles I should watch. They can be hard find sometimes.
Some of my favourites so far are Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Notorious, Chinatown.

Not so much the movies, but MeTV has been airing "Peter Gunn." I can't believe how this show has captured my attention. Within one minute someone is either getting shot or clunked on the head, and Mancini's score is drawing me in.

Don

Love these classic films. Tried to watch In A Lonley Place-a Humphrey Bogart film, but the VHS tape got screwed up half way thru:a52:.

Have found that I prefer older films. Nowadays the movies are all CGI and they just don't create that atmosphere that the classics were able to capture .

Yes! Just discovered them recently and love them. I will be interested to hear any suggestions of titles I should watch. They can be hard find sometimes.
Some of my favourites so far are Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Notorious, Chinatown.
Make sure and watch the original Maltese Falcon from 1931 , not a classic like Bogy's , but still a good one.....All of "the Thin Man" series are great ,Lured , Where the Sidewalk Ends , the Narrow Margin , House on Telegraph Hill...so many more, check out the film noir websites for good tips....

I don't know about your states , but in Calif. with a library card we can go online to any library in the state that uses the LINK System , and check out any dvd statewide and have it delivered to our local library..I've scored so many great films that way...
HBEYE.jpg
hbscotland-yard-movie-poster-1941-1020703803.jpg
hbrd4.jpg

Attachments

• lobby cbd.jpg
    lobby cbd.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • lobby  maria paLmer  13 lead soldiers 1948.jpg
    lobby maria paLmer 13 lead soldiers 1948.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5
Make sure and watch the original Maltese Falcon from 1931 , not a classic like Bogy's , but still a good one.....All of "the Thin Man" series are great ,Lured , Where the Sidewalk Ends , the Narrow Margin , House on Telegraph Hill...so many more, check out the film noir websites for good tips....

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and track those down. I didn’t realise there was an earlier version of The Maltese Falcon.

Not so much the movies, but MeTV has been airing "Peter Gunn." I can't believe how this show has captured my attention. Within one minute someone is either getting shot or clunked on the head, and Mancini's score is drawing me in.

Don
I'm currently watching season 3 I scored from my library "LINK" system....A dark world, it's always night in Gunn's world , everybody drives a freshly waxed Desoto....except the villians ....they drive a dusty 1948 Cadillac Model 75 Fleetwood.....best theme song ever....

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and track those down. I didn’t realise there was an earlier version of The Maltese Falcon.
It was released under a few titles , so search IMDB for other titles....I love the way the women dressed in the thirties.. By the way...the original has legendary Dwight Frye in it !
malt.jpg
malt3.jpg
malt6.jpg
maltese-falcon-1931-e1454949804772.jpg
maltese-falcon-lg.jpg

It was released under a few titles , so search IMDB for other titles....I love the way the women dressed in the thirties.. By the way...the original has legendary Dwight Frye in it !View attachment 885545 View attachment 885549 View attachment 885550 View attachment 885551 View attachment 885552

Thanks
I find them hard to track down. Some of the films I search for on Amazon are extortionately priced. I have a DVD exchange local to me which sometimes has a few titles. I might have to start looking at downloading them in future.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yeah. I have a few DVDs and will try to catch shows when they are on the classics channel. One of my DVDs has two versions of The Big Sleep...one that was presented to the troops during the War, and the other, slightly different, version that was released Stateside later.

I like the scene where Martha says Bogey is not very tall and he has a great comeback, and then she tries to sit in his lap...while he's standing up.

There was one version called Satan Met a Lady, I guess because Hammett had described Sam Spade on page 1 as looking "rather pleasantly like a blond Satan." The earlier versions didn't follow the novel very well. When John Huston prepared his 1941 version, he stuck closely to the novel, using dialog from the text and casting actors who really resembled the Hammett characters. Peter Lorre's Joel Cairo and Sydney Greenstreet's Caspar Gutman are the living embodiment of Hammett's vision.

The only misstep: casting Mary Astor as the supposed femme fatale. There seems little real chemistry between Bogart's Spade and her Brigid, not enough to account for the supposed love affair between them. If they had cast someone more sizzling, like Hedy Lamarr or Veronica Lake or Lana Turner, the film would have worked even better.

Last edited:
I'm currently watching season 3 I scored from my library "LINK" system....A dark world, it's always night in Gunn's world , everybody drives a freshly waxed Desoto....except the villians ....they drive a dusty 1948 Cadillac Model 75 Fleetwood.....best theme song ever....
Yes; and while we're never told what city Gunn lives and operates in, it's a port city, and one that never seems to have any winter. Maybe I've missed episodes that showed that, though.

Eye of the Needle I first saw in B & W on a small home TV, and it works even better that way. A very good adaptation of Ken Follett's novel.

Leave us not forget the "modern" noirs, like Body Heat, which is a perfect companion to Double Indemnity. (I keep wondering why the city in Body Heat doesn't seem to have air conditioning anywhere. It's set in Florida, right?)

Top Bottom