What's new

Good Steel 🤷‍♂️

Here is the table from Jenes.

318234194_5713872828667175_4495529851197800889_n.jpeg

@Gamma not saying those Dixies are unusable, or even undesireable. I really like them. But I do note they hone a bit quicker. As you said, I haven't encountered an "inferior" American razor. By that logic I haven't encountered any "inferior" vintage razor from the US, Sweden, Sheffield, Germany, nor my one French razor. I have a Frederick Reynolds that I about gave up on long ago, thinking it was a terrible razor. Nope, it was may honing technique (it was my only wedge at the time and I made mistakes).

I think how fast a razor hones up may be deceptive, or at least, might be due to other physical properties than simply the Rockwell number. Since I've started buying Japanese razors I've found all of them (well, 10 out of 11, because one had a great edge out of the box) to hone up noticeably faster than most of my others. Maybe that's due to excellent geometry, though. I don't know. They also seem to get to a higher level of keen and smooth than most of my others--on my stones, with my skills. Others might have different experiences.

My Koraat, which is advertised as 65 HRC, honed easily too and to a great edge. And it retains it well too. Most of the J-razors I haven't had long enough to get a feel for edge retention.

Does that mean Japanese steel is "better" than Solingen, or Eskilstuna, or Sheffield? Probably not. But it definitely works for me, on my stones and my face. Better than my Heljestrands even and I really like Heljestrands.

I think how fast a razor hones up may be deceptive, or at least, might be due to other physical properties than simply the Rockwell number. Since I've started buying Japanese razors I've found all of them (well, 10 out of 11, because one had a great edge out of the box) to hone up noticeably faster than most of my others. Maybe that's due to excellent geometry, though. I don't know. They also seem to get to a higher level of keen and smooth than most of my others--on my stones, with my skills. Others might have different experiences.

My Koraat, which is advertised as 65 HRC, honed easily too and to a great edge. And it retains it well too. Most of the J-razors I haven't had long enough to get a feel for edge retention.

Does that mean Japanese steel is "better" than Solingen, or Eskilstuna, or Sheffield? Probably not. But it definitely works for me, on my stones and my face. Better than my Heljestrands even and I really like Heljestrands.
Now I want to try some Japanese razors:)

They do tend to run a little higher in terms of bevel angle, for whatever reason. 18-19 degrees seems common for the ones I've measured.
That would probably be on the limit for what I typically use. If the steel can hold a more refined edge it might be just fine.

Top Bottom