What's new

FILM NOIR ..... any fans ?

I am a big fan of film noir. There are so many great classics. YouTube has a pretty good selection. They just don't make movies like that any more. Love the clothes, the hairstyles, the cars, the characters, the language they used. Wonderful genre.
All the reasons I like them , plus "the lighting" , you don't get lighting or "snappy dialogue" like the great ones had...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Does 12 Angry Men fall into this category? Regardless,’it is a great movie. Some excellent actors in a room for most of it. The story and acting, with zero effects, make this a great film.

I haven't seen that many noir films, but I do enjoy the genre in all its forms. I have SiriusXM, so I get to listen to a lot of the old radio shows on their Radio Classics channel.

Just looked up “Touch Of Evil” originaly “badge Of Evil” by Whit Masterson.
Anyone read the novel after watching the movie?
The Maltese Falcon is the only I have watched and then read the book.
If I had read the book first I would have picked the movie apart.
i've read a few noir novels and stories in addition to the movies, though it's hard to see the novel in anything other than black & white! Really like the Cornell Woolrich stories. Most of his made a great transition from print to screen. I picked up this anthology called the Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps (chose that one because it was compiled by the great Otto Penzler) and there's some great stories in there, some made it into the movies.

I haven't seen that many noir films, but I do enjoy the genre in all its forms. I have SiriusXM, so I get to listen to a lot of the old radio shows on their Radio Classics channel.
Richard Diamond with Dick Powell is my all-time favorite radio noir series.

gl1.jpg
gl2.jpg
gl3.jpg
gl4.jpg
gl5.png

Just looked up “Touch Of Evil” originaly “badge Of Evil” by Whit Masterson.
Anyone read the novel after watching the movie?
The Maltese Falcon is the only I have watched and then read the book.
If I had read the book first I would have picked the movie apart.
I tried 3 separate times over several decades to read Hammett's novel, and got bored with it each time at the same point. Meanwhile I liked the movie just fine. Finally, after watching the film for the nth time, and having read that it was a very faithful adaptation, I tried the novel again . . . and this time I got it. Hammett's trick in this one is never to enter any character's thoughts, not even Sam Spade's. Everything, including the characters' emotions, is shown by physical action or movement or tone of voice. A tough technique to use, but effective if you can pull it off.

A bit of trivia: The film of Double Indemnity actually has a better ending than the novel, which is creepy in its own right. Raymond Chandler, who was assigned to write the script, realized that a lot of the dialog in James M. Cain's novel looked great on the page, but didn't play on the screen. So what you see resembles the novel closely, but very little dialog comes straight from the book. For example, Edward G. Robinson's Keyes, Fred MacMurray's boss in the film, never mentions "the little man inside" in the novel; that was all Chandler.

Robinson liked the character of Keyes enormously. He suggested to Cain that he write another story featuring Keyes, so that Robinson could play him again. It never happened -- but it would have been very neat.

I tried 3 separate times over several decades to read Hammett's novel, and got bored with it each time at the same point. Meanwhile I liked the movie just fine. Finally, after watching the film for the nth time, and having read that it was a very faithful adaptation, I tried the novel again . . . and this time I got it. Hammett's trick in this one is never to enter any character's thoughts, not even Sam Spade's. Everything, including the characters' emotions, is shown by physical action or movement or tone of voice. A tough technique to use, but effective if you can pull it off.

A bit of trivia: The film of Double Indemnity actually has a better ending than the novel, which is creepy in its own right. Raymond Chandler, who was assigned to write the script, realized that a lot of the dialog in James M. Cain's novel looked great on the page, but didn't play on the screen. So what you see resembles the novel closely, but very little dialog comes straight from the book. For example, Edward G. Robinson's Keyes, Fred MacMurray's boss in the film, never mentions "the little man inside" in the novel; that was all Chandler.

Robinson liked the character of Keyes enormously. He suggested to Cain that he write another story featuring Keyes, so that Robinson could play him again. It never happened -- but it would have been very neat.
There's a fantastic BBC radio drama called Double Jeopardy about the writing of the screenplay with Patrick Stewart as Raymond Chandler.

There's a fantastic BBC radio drama called Double Jeopardy about the writing of the screenplay with Patrick Stewart as Raymond Chandler.
That would be good casting: Chandler went to school in England, and no doubt picked up some of the British speech and mannerisms.

I'm a big film noir fan, and a fan of all the things true classic original noir influenced. Such as LA Confidential, and, I would say, Chinatown. Goddard's Alphaville. Much of Scandinavian and other European detective fiction. Bosch.

Big Raymond Chandler fan. Not so much Hammett, for some reason. Good link on what is a film noir. I would cast a broader net. Probably a much broader net. I think I would pick Big Sleep for my top noir film.

Has The Dark Corner been named? Amazing Lucille Ball.

How about Kiss of Death. Great wheelchair scene.

I'm a big film noir fan, and a fan of all the things true classic original noir influenced. Such as LA Confidential, and, I would say, Chinatown. Goddard's Alphaville. Much of Scandinavian and other European detective fiction. Bosch.

Big Raymond Chandler fan. Not so much Hammett, for some reason. Good link on what is a film noir. I would cast a broader net. Probably a much broader net. I think I would pick Big Sleep for my top noir film.

Has The Dark Corner been named? Amazing Lucille Ball.

How about Kiss of Death. Great wheelchair scene.
The Dark Corner and Kiss of Death are both fantastic films , really "must see" films !
dark.png
dark_corner_xlg.jpg

I was working when it came out , and never got to see the McGavin Mike Hammer TV series , but film noir fans
dark2.jpg
say it's great....My library system has it booked for a year and the series is going for around $80 !

Top Bottom