What's new

FILM NOIR ..... any fans ?

For sure !.....She made many a horror film as well, and yes, she was great in Killer that stalked New York , a film I've seen a few times over the years , but time to watch it again !....Vaughn was always entertaining. When I was young Man from UNCLE was a treat to watch..He was in a few good war films as well...... Ron....
Vaughn said in his memoir, or maybe in an interview, that he'd managed to parlay his 15 minutes of fame into a 50-year career. He started out with bit parts, of course, but was only 27 when he got his Oscar nomination for The Young Philadelphians. He did a slew of TV -- I was startled the other day to see him in a Rifleman and another time to see him in The Rebel. He always credited U.N.C.L.E. with giving him the exposure that led to movies.

One of his best non-U.N.C.L.E. performances was in the British-made SF film The Mind of Mr. Soames, with Terence Stamp.

<Jan Sterling . . . Evelyn Keyes>

I love this thread! I should know these names better than I do. JS was a great actress for noir--thin and blonde. EK was married to John Huston and then Artie Shaw.

I ran across a film that might count as noir, The Big Clock from 1948. Ray Milland matches wits with Charles Laughton, who has murdered his mistress and wants to pin it on someone he saw leaving his mistress's apartment just before the killing. It was Milland -- whom Laughton, his boss, charges with finding the mystery man. I've only seen it once, and read the novel once, so I'm not sure, but it might have that right feel.

I ran across a film that might count as noir, The Big Clock from 1948. Ray Milland matches wits with Charles Laughton, who has murdered his mistress and wants to pin it on someone he saw leaving his mistress's apartment just before the killing. It was Milland -- whom Laughton, his boss, charges with finding the mystery man. I've only seen it once, and read the novel once, so I'm not sure, but it might have that right feel.
I would say The Big Clock is a noir, the protagonist is a victim of cruel fate

hbBERLINCORRESPONDENT-BW.png
hb mf.jpg
HBFA.jpg
HBKILL2.jpg
hbquicksand poster long.jpg

I am sure Laura was mentioned earlier. The epitome of noir. 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yep, you're right. I just did a cross-check and it's post #22. On the other hand, my mention of D.O.A. in post #20 beat yours at #57. And some would say that D.O.A. is the epitome of noir. ;-)

<And some would say that D.O.A. is the epitome of noir. ;-)>

I would be among those who say that!

You were definitely first up with DOA. I was actually responding to #56 regarding it. I wasn't close. :)

Not that I do not love many of these films, but Laura is probably on a whole other level than most of what we are talking about in this thread.

<And some would say that D.O.A. is the epitome of noir. ;-)>

I would be among those who say that!

You were definitely first up with DOA. I was actually responding to #56 regarding it. I wasn't close. :)

Not that I do not love many of these films, but Laura is probably on a whole other level than most of what we are talking about in this thread.

Oops, you're right again. It was #56 you were responding to. D.O.A. was my first introduction to film noir, back in 1983 or so, when I was 19. I remember a handful of a little bit older folks sitting in front of me in the movie theater at the time. And as the film first started to run, one of them turned to his other friends and declared in a fit of hysterical excitement, "This, this, is the film noir!" Made a convert of me, that's for sure.

I'll have to watch Laura again. The portrait above the mantel is most chilling, in and of itself. Angel Face stayed with me more though, as far as femme fatales are concerned, having watched both films only once.

I think I own Laura on DVD. I need to rewatch, too. I admit I am influenced by what has been written about it. Also the cast and OP as director.

I hate to admit I do not think I have seen Angel Face. I need to!

DOA in a theater. Very cool.

Top Bottom