What's new

Favorite or best adjustable

Hands down, the Tatara Muramasa or Blackland Osprey. They fully clamp the blade top and bottom along the entire length of the cutting edge. Zero blade chatter. Both can be mild or aggressive. Each is truly a modern design implementation of adjustability, not a copy of others work. Stainless steel and a lifetime generational razor to pass along.

I have a mix of adjustable razors, more than the reference photo shows. I struggle to consider plate swapping as an adjustable but many do so I can roll with that. The 6S and PAA Copper DOC while they are adjustable and fantastic shavers, I don't like flip/flopping plates of the 6S or the unregulated adjustability of the PAA DOC. The Karve CB or Tatara Musamane/Nodachi is a better set and forget "adjustable" system IMO. In theory RazoRock offerings could be "adjustable" if you consider plate swapping and they are a fantastic value. I have most of RR's offerings and they never feel lacking once you find your plate. Nothing wrong with an original Fatboy. The Rex offerings shave no better than the Pearl Flexi, both are copies of a 90 year old French design. I'm wandering off into the weeds. Muramasa or Osprey for best AND favorite adjustable.

Adjustables.png

The Tatara Muramasa has ended my DE razor buying spree. It has perfect range for me, I have never wished for a higher setting (5 is aggressive enough for me and I rarely use it).
Also, I find setting 1 VERY handy, especially if my skin is irritated or there is a pimple or something, or I if I just want a carefree shave...

Tatara is my choice...

I have all 4 Rex razors and other than the long handle (I prefer short handles) my T2 SS is a far better razor than any of the Rexs.

Wow. That's the first time I've heard that. Usually, it's the other way around. Guess it's truly a case of YMMV. Glad to hear it, though!!!! The only reason I might consider an Ambassador over the T2 would be that it is a more aggressive razor...that said, my beard really doesn't require it. I typically shave with the setting of 4 or 5, and rarely a 6 depending on the blade.

My new Razorock Adjust TTO adjustable razor. Great mild to moderate shaver and one of only two current production razors that use the classic Gillette adjustment mechanism found in vintage razors like the Slim and Super Adjustable. Link to a recent shave with this below:

The Tatara Muramasa has ended my DE razor buying spree. It has perfect range for me, I have never wished for a higher setting (5 is aggressive enough for me and I rarely use it).
Also, I find setting 1 VERY handy, especially if my skin is irritated or there is a pimple or something, or I if I just want a carefree shave...

Tatara is my choice...
I think it’s a great razor but I had difficulty reading the #’s on the adjustment dial - with they could make the bigger / easier to read. The Ti version of this razor is very tough to source and also extremely expensive. Not sure I’m easy to drop that much on a razor. However, you get what you pay for and a Tatara or other premium adjustable is relatively simple to sell. My Yaqi Ultima, as an example, is very well priced but also not in high demand in the BST universe

Well, I realize I'm at the low end of the Spending Scale here but ...
I have two adjustables (minus the Rockwell 6C, which is adjustable but in a league all its own); a Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and a Pearl Flexi.
No comparison.
I've found the Meiji to be almost unusable and it currently resides in my bathroom closet in its comfy box, sleeping, and may or may not ever be awakened again.
The Flexi got its first use this morning and it was absolutely stellar. I got an incredibly close shave that was also amazingly smooth, the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, has anyone here used either the Qshave Parthenon or the Weishi Nostalgic?

Thx,
-MO
Suspect you are referring to the Weishi Butterfly Adjustable as the Nostalgic is just a different colored chromed version of their superspeed long handle clone. Per many reviews of the Butterfly Adjustable there are issues with it maintaining a balanced blade alignment. I use the chrome version of the Long Handle (same razor, just a different color) with great results as a daily driver though this is not the focus of this thread on adjustables.

Well, I realize I'm at the low end of the Spending Scale here but ...
I have two adjustables (minus the Rockwell 6C, which is adjustable but in a league all its own); a Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and a Pearl Flexi.
No comparison.
I've found the Meiji to be almost unusable and it currently resides in my bathroom closet in its comfy box, sleeping, and may or may not ever be awakened again.
The Flexi got its first use this morning and it was absolutely stellar. I got an incredibly close shave that was also amazingly smooth, the best of both worlds.
Curious as to what made the Meiji unusable? Glad to hear that the Flexi works so well for you.

P.S. Your not even close to the low end of the spending scale here given that my Razorock Adjust sold for $7.99 on sale during the holiday season. 🙂

FWIW, the Major found the Smile Blazer adjustable (a US version of the Yaqi Final Cut) to be a more than acceptable daily driver. Given his fairly sensitive skin, he's had the best results at agressiveness settings of 1-1.5 above the jawline and 2-2.5 below it. So far, he's only used Parker blades in it. The first blade he grabbed out of the pack was a bum, but the successors gave 4-5 good shaves before they needed replacing.

-MO

FWIW, the Major found the Smile Blazer adjustable (a US version of the Yaqi Final Cut) to be a more than acceptable daily driver. Given his fairly sensitive skin, he's had the best results at agressiveness settings of 1-1.5 above the jawline and 2-2.5 below it. So far, he's only used Parker blades in it. The first blade he grabbed out of the pack was a bum, but the successors gave 4-5 good shaves before they needed replacing.

-MO

Considering the price of the Yaqi "Final Cut", they really punch above their weight class.

Curious as to what made the Meiji unusable? Glad to hear that the Flexi works so well for you.

P.S. Your not even close to the low end of the spending scale here given that my Razorock Adjust sold for $7.99 on sale during the holiday season. 🙂
When I pick up a razor, I want consistency. I don't like surprises. But the Meiji often surprised me ... sometimes in a good way but far too often, it would render an overly aggressive shave that was uncomfortable and even some nicks and cuts. And that was with the adjustment level on the low end of the scale. I never dialed it all the way up and rarely even ventured into the middle of the adjustment dial.
It's very blade-dependent, it seems to me. Some blades were pretty good in it and others were awful.
I'm talking about in past tense but haven't gotten rid of it. I may someday ... but for now I've just relegated it to the back of the shave den closet. Life is too short and I'm too old to endure lousy shaves. I got some really good shaves out of the Meiji but then it would bite me. And I crave consistency, not surprises.

When I pick up a razor, I want consistency. I don't like surprises. But the Meiji often surprised me ... sometimes in a good way but far too often, it would render an overly aggressive shave that was uncomfortable and even some nicks and cuts. And that was with the adjustment level on the low end of the scale. I never dialed it all the way up and rarely even ventured into the middle of the adjustment dial.
It's very blade-dependent, it seems to me. Some blades were pretty good in it and others were awful.
I'm talking about in past tense but haven't gotten rid of it. I may someday ... but for now I've just relegated it to the back of the shave den closet. Life is too short and I'm too old to endure lousy shaves. I got some really good shaves out of the Meiji but then it would bite me. And I crave consistency, not surprises.
Thank you for the info. Have noticed that this razor appears to rely on a center spring. Were there blade alignment/uneven gap issues with this. Experienced issues like this with my Ming Shi 3000s that have also made it a challenge to use.

Thank you for the info. Have noticed that this razor appears to rely on a center spring. Were there blade alignment/uneven gap issues with this. Experienced issues like this with my Ming Shi 3000s that have also made it a challenge to use.
I was aware of the blade alignment/uneven gap issue when I bought the Meiji and looked at it closely and detected no issues. Others notice the blade bent down in a frown shape. No issue with that either.
I keep a log of all my shaves and just out of curiosity looked at my notes on my Meiji shaves and found many more positive remarks and fewer negatives than I would have guessed. The lack of consistency, as I've said, has been my main issue but maybe it's not as bad as I remember it being. :laugh:

The Vanderhagen adjustable, so far. At 6 it’s pretty close to a shavette. I like using it. Cut myself when first started around the jaw and chin. But I learned how to adjust. Just got to be careful when using and can’t rush. Normally used for a week the switch to the FaTip Piccolo.

Top Bottom